londoncricket
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I hold offers from both London School of Economics and University of California, Berkeley. I hold an LSE offer for BSc Maths and Economics. My LSE offer is A level grades A*AA, for subjects Maths, Economics and Further Maths. In terms of meeting my offer for LSE, I think that I should be able to do it, with some hard work, which I am putting in right now.

For Berkeley, the offer of admission is not directly conditional on A level results, as are all US university offers. I would probably major in maths, and minor in economics, if I were to go to Berkeley. Maybe I would double major, but I am unsure about that just yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what school I should accept, assuming I were to meet my LSE offer? If I were to go to Berkeley, I would like to attend graduate school and complete a Masters degree, and possibly stay in the US and find a job. If I were to go to LSE, I would like to do a Masters, possibly in the US or a UK university and then try to find a job in the US or London.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I am a UK student and I would be classed as an international student at Berkeley.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by londoncricket)
Hi all,

I hold offers from both London School of Economics and University of California, Berkeley. I hold an LSE offer for BSc Maths and Economics. My LSE offer is A level grades A*AA, for subjects Maths, Economics and Further Maths. In terms of meeting my offer for LSE, I think that I should be able to do it, with some hard work, which I am putting in right now.

For Berkeley, the offer of admission is not directly conditional on A level results, as are all US university offers. I would probably major in maths, and minor in economics, if I were to go to Berkeley. Maybe I would double major, but I am unsure about that just yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what school I should accept, assuming I were to meet my LSE offer? If I were to go to Berkeley, I would like to attend graduate school and complete a Masters degree, and possibly stay in the US and find a job. If I were to go to LSE, I would like to do a Masters, possibly in the US or a UK university and then try to find a job in the US or London.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I am a UK student and I would be classed as an international student at Berkeley.
Can you afford the fees at Berkeley?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aspiring123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by londoncricket)
Hi all,

Thank you in advance!

It would only depend on weather you could afford fees at US
♥Samantha♥
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Didn't you make the same thread verbatim for UCL and UCLA?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
Good spot. And hasn't replied to any of the feedback in that thread either...

Posted from TSR Mobile
♥Samantha♥
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)

Posted from TSR Mobile
its a bit strange
OregonHooligan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you want to do further study in Maths or something Computational, go for UCB. If you want to do a Economics Masters / PhD, go for LSE.
londoncricket
Rep:
?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by ♥Samantha♥)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for not replying in the previous thread, wasn't intentional.

(Original post by premedmath)
If you want to do further study in Maths or something Computational, go for UCB. If you want to do a Economics Masters / PhD, go for LSE.
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If necessary, I could. But it would be difficult.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't bankrupt yourself to go to Berkeley. LSE is just as good, if not better, for economics, and on par for economically relevant areas of maths.

If you major in maths at Berkeley you're going to need to do higher algebra, topology, and some related optional courses. This is heavy stuff, and the algebra in particular isn't really relevant for economics (you'll do the relevant aspects of topology through the real analysis content at LSE).

It's also worth noting the UCs have been facing consistent cuts to state funding and rising fees as a result, whereas LSE is limited by the government in that regard. The same applies to UCLA, except LA is even more expensive to live in and UCLA is realistically not at the same level as either of those two anyway.
londoncricket
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Don't bankrupt yourself to go to Berkeley. LSE is just as good, if not better, for economics, and on par for economically relevant areas of maths.

If you major in maths at Berkeley you're going to need to do higher algebra, topology, and some related optional courses. This is heavy stuff, and the algebra in particular isn't really relevant for economics (you'll do the relevant aspects of topology through the real analysis content at LSE).

It's also worth noting the UCs have been facing consistent cuts to state funding and rising fees as a result, whereas LSE is limited by the government in that regard. The same applies to UCLA, except LA is even more expensive to live in and UCLA is realistically not at the same level as either of those two anyway.
Thank you for this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.64%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.19%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.19%
I need help with my personal statement (65)
42.21%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (37)
24.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.95%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.79%

Watched Threads