When to apply for a training contract? Watch

Duncan8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

Just finished my LL.M. at a Dutch university and I will start a GDL in Sept 2017. I will then go on and do a LPC in Sept 2018, and will thus be ready to work in June 2019 or so. When do I need to apply for a training contract?

Thanks!

-Duncan
Duncan8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
You might be able to apply for some firms now and up to the summer (June/July). However, a lot of firms have closed their applications for non-law students/graduates (you might be deemed this even with an LLM given you have to complete the GDL), and so you might have to wait until the Autumn, when many firms will start to recruit their 2020/21 intakes.

Its probably worthwhile doing some digging now to see which firms consider you a law applicant/a non-law applicant, and therefore when you can apply.
Alright, so that means the following then?

1. Sept 2017 to June 2018: I will do my GDL.
2. Sept 2018 to June 2019: I will do my LPC.
3. Sept 2019 to June 2020: I will not do anything.
4. Sept 2020 to June 2021: I will do a traineeship?
5. Sept 2023: I will be a qualified solicitor.

So exactly when should I start to send my application for traineeships?

Is it also account the vacation schemes (for example a summer internship of 2 months) to account for my 2 years? (So for example if I take 2 months internship here and then I only need to do 22 months).

Just exploring all options because I might do the bar in Belgium or Luxembourg if it proves to be too competitive in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (277)
61.15%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.86%
No- I want it (120)
26.49%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.51%

Watched Threads