Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I left school, I worked for two year so I could drink loads and take some drugs and stuff before realising I was being a prat and went back to do my A-Levels. Now, I can't put that on my personal statement but surely I should address the reason for leaving full time education for two years? How should I put it, or should I just leave it (as it'll be clear due to institution dates/work history). Advise would be great!

ReputationRep:
    id deffinatly comment as they'll be wondering why ...... theres no harm in telling the truth at least it shows that u have matured since then and having had those experinces and i assume not wanting to go bk to them will work very hard to make sumthing or ur life in order that u dont end up bakc in that situation
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You should concentrate on the work you did during the 2 years and the experience you've gained! And perhaps your reasons for deciding to return to education. Don't mention the alcohol and drugs, only mention the positive bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    You should concentrate on the work you did during the 2 years and the experience you've gained! And perhaps your reasons for deciding to return to education. Don't mention the alcohol and drugs, only mention the positive bits.
    Sounds a good idea, I'm gonna start drafting it tomorrow when I get my AS results...I'll probably post it here to get wanted critical feedback!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bcr8iv)
    Sounds a good idea, I'm gonna start drafting it tomorrow when I get my AS results...I'll probably post it here to get wanted critical feedback!
    The whole point of the UCAS form is to sell yourself to your chosen universities. So you need to emphasise any positive bits (without exaggerating or lying) and gloss over the not so good bits. They won't want anyone who admits to having a drug/alochol problem as you may drop out and make their statistics look bad. Of course, they might realise that it's in the past and you've moved on, but why take that chance?

You probably won't have enough room in your personal statement to go into much detail anyway. So why fill it with stuff that's not going to make you sound good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee86)
    id deffinatly comment as they'll be wondering why ...... theres no harm in telling the truth at least it shows that u have matured since then and having had those experinces and i assume not wanting to go bk to them will work very hard to make sumthing or ur life in order that u dont end up bakc in that situation
    Are you kidding?! DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES state your real reasons for leaving school for two years. This is one of those times where you should not tell the truth. Tell them all about how much you've gained from the opportunity to work, how many amazing new skills you've learnt, how much you've matured and how amazingly prepared you are now for university life due to your experiences of work!

Do not say anything about your real reasons (drugs/alcohol). Just do not.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.