tbeyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm doing A2 Media Studies AQA. And I NEEEED help. To cut straight to the point, my teacher is clueless about everything, he thinks he's one of the kids, he's immature and he's not even officially a teacher yet.

I only passed AS because the students all teamed up and taught ourselves, but for some reason we are not doing it this time, probably because the work is much harder and I can't find much help online. Please can anyone help! I really need these grades to get into uni! Thanks if you can!
RDJDJRJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey tberyan, I'm about to sit the same exam this year (7th of June) and would happily offer you some advise on the A2 exam.
tbeyan
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDJDJRJ)
Hey tberyan, I'm about to sit the same exam this year (7th of June) and would happily offer you some advise on the A2 exam.
Hi, yes please! It would be of massive help!
Yung_Student
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We should all help one another <3
tbeyan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yung_Student)
We should all help one another <3
Most definitely! What do you need help on?
dumbanddumber
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So I resubmitted my coursework and I got a B and in my written exam I was two marks from an A which overall has now given me an A for my AS however my teacher has been generous enough to give me an E for my coursework this year so I was wondering roughly what grade could I come up with if I aced my test? It's 50% AS and 50% A2 for final grade. I know the grade boundaries vary but can anyone give me an indication.
Olivia_Origin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So glad I found this thread! I'm slightly stuck on Section B, definitely going to do the 'Impact of New/Digital Media' question but really don't know how to structure my essay to get full marks :/ Considering my case studies are on the music industry/Donald Trump. Any ideas??
lrhwaterx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys, I also need SO much help with section B!! I just dont know exactly what to talk about.. just praying that the questions are along the lines of 'name the advantages and disadvantages of...' lol if only
lifeissues
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RDJDJRJ)
Hello,
Would you be able to help me out with question 1A and 1b, my teacher has taught me nothing and im starting to worry
tbeyan
Rep:
?
My teacher only taught us 'identity and the media', one would think it would've been a no brainer to do 'the impact of new media'. Now that I'm panicking, I'm tempted to just switch but i know deep down thats just a stupid decision, so im just gonna stick with identity. Im sure most people are doing new media, but is there anyone here doing identity? And RDJDJRJ, dumbanddumber it would mean THE WORLD if you could help us in any way on how to structure a section b question. So many marks but its so hard to know what you actually need to do/say to get into the top band. Thanks so much!

lrhwaterx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tbeyan)
My teacher only taught us 'identity and the media', one would think it would've been a no brainer to do 'the impact of new media'. Now that I'm panicking, I'm tempted to just switch but i know deep down thats just a stupid decision, so im just gonna stick with identity. Im sure most people are doing new media, but is there anyone here doing identity? And RDJDJRJ, dumbanddumber it would mean THE WORLD if you could help us in any way on how to structure a section b question. So many marks but its so hard to know what you actually need to do/say to get into the top band. Thanks so much!

I'm not doing identities but for section B, im doing intro, then up to 4 paragraphs (write about emedia, print and broadcasting) and then conclusion
tbeyan
Rep:
?
(Original post by lrhwaterx)
I'm not doing identities but for section B, im doing intro, then up to 4 paragraphs (write about emedia, print and broadcasting) and then conclusion
you're doing AS right?
lrhwaterx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you're doing AS right?
I'm doing A2
elliemcp
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys, I also need SO much help with section B!! I just dont know exactly what to talk about.. just praying that the questions are along the lines of 'name the advantages and disadvantages of...' lol if only
So what you're best doing is finding different examples of your case study in each platform- broadcast, E-media, and print. These examples should show your case study in both a good and bad light, try and get examples of films and programmes and talk about how they're represented, newspaper headlines, and then look at theory too, like the queer theory. You could then also talk about how the way they are presented is very different to normal females and talk about The Male Gaze. Have a look at some past papers and brainstorm some ideas down and do like a plan so you know how to answer the question, most questions will want you to speak about the same thing, just keep referring back to your question because it is an essay. Hope this helped X
tbeyan
Rep:
?
I'm doing A2
ah ok. is anyone else doing this plan (talk about emedia, print, and broadcast in section b), i thought that was the plan for AS. Now I'm really panicking lol. I have researched my case study but i didn't do research on the three media platforms in depth, I just did theories and audience's reaction etc.
SRDW
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ah ok. is anyone else doing this plan (talk about emedia, print, and broadcast in section b), i thought that was the plan for AS. Now I'm really panicking lol. I have researched my case study but i didn't do research on the three media platforms in depth, I just did theories and audience's reaction etc.
Yeah you need to talk about those things but focus it around identity. Mentioning all the platforms is good (I think) for getting good marks but it's mainly focused around your identity case studies. The idea is that you have a case study you focus on for one of the platforms yet have secondary ones for the rest.
lrhwaterx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi sorry, since replying to this I've spoken to my teachers and she gave me some model answer from the section. Unfortunatly I can't link them for you as I have no idea where they are from. I have gathered that, yes if you can, talk about all platforms BUT dont worry, you dont have to stick you just your case study, you are allowed to bring in other media products too. Also, if you cannot talk about all three platforms, just talk about one (usually e-media) and develop this further. Good luck for next week!
tbeyan
Rep:
?
Hi sorry, since replying to this I've spoken to my teachers and she gave me some model answer from the section. Unfortunatly I can't link them for you as I have no idea where they are from. I have gathered that, yes if you can, talk about all platforms BUT dont worry, you dont have to stick you just your case study, you are allowed to bring in other media products too. Also, if you cannot talk about all three platforms, just talk about one (usually e-media) and develop this further. Good luck for next week!
Ok thanks, yeah I've got examples from other platforms but i didn't nessesairly talk about the platforms themselves (if that makes sense lol, my examples just happened to be on different platforms). Thanks again!
lrhwaterx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok thanks, yeah I've got examples from other platforms but i didn't nessesairly talk about the platforms themselves (if that makes sense lol, my examples just happened to be on different platforms). Thanks again!
Yeah, i think you should be fine!
ceab
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there,

I'm doing a similar case study to you where I'm focusing specifically on gender non-conforming identities, but I've been focussing more on the identity questions.

When answering your question, don't dive in with your examples first. You should do in your intro is to make it immediately clear what your case study actually is. I recommend using your introduction to state a hypothesis, and then start your first paragraph with theory to support it, and then use your case study as evidence. Go on to evaluate your case study according to the idea you've used in relation to the question. If it's appropriate, do the same thing with a different theory or theorist to give a counter argument. You should try to underpin each part of this structure with some form of theory as you write.

Example Question:
'Far from giving us choice, new technologies prevent diversity, make us lazy and inhibit our identities.' Using your own case study, how far do you agree with this argument?

Hypothesis:
Although there is much to suggest that new and digital media has made us more sedentary, a greater argument could be made that advancements in technology and communication help us cultivate our identities more than inhibit them. This is evident in countless online communities, as LGBTQ+ individuals use the internet as a medium for self-expression.

Theory/Theorist: Charles Leadbeater
Charles Leadbeater insists that the internet has triggered a digital revolution, that is responsible for helping more and more people innovate in new and creative ways.

Case Study example:
A good example of this is the success of Tyler Oakley's YouTube channel. With over 7million subscribers, Oakley has used his strong presence on social media to be a strong advocate for the LGBTQ+ community, as his experiences with being gay helps normalise the existence of non-heteronormative identities by exposing people who aren't a part of that community to them. By making his own videos and using a platform that encourages user-generated content, it is clear to audience members that he makes content to catalog his experience and growth as a person through his vlog style of videos.

Evaluate case study:
Through this very personal approach to content creation, Oakley manages to contribute to the deconstruction of stereotypes regarding gay men. Due to the effects of mainstream media, there is a dominant stereotype that gay men are all effeminate, sassy, are only friends with girls, and use their sexuality as a singular component to their identity. Despite the fact that Oakely has said that he self-admittedly reinforces some of these stereotypes, he shows audience members that he has more depth than the one-dimensional stereotypes that are typically represented in the media, as he is a strong LGBTQ+ rights activist, as he frequently speaks out on issues that affect people within the group. For example, in the past two years, the YouTube star used his birthday as an opportunity to encourage his audience to support the Trevor Project, a non-profit helpline for LGBTQ+ youth. By being an advocate, Oakley signifies to the audience that gay people have the power to influence change, and be successful, which in turn tells his queer audience members that they don't have to be the marginilised identities that the majority has made them out to be.

Alternative interpretation: Andrew Keen
Despite Oakley's success, theorists such as Andrew Keen argue that the ability for anyone to make content due to the availability of the technology creates a 'sea of amateurs' and suggests that the existence of user generated content degrades the quality of what is made for audiences. According to Keen's ideas, the meaning behind Oakley's content doesn't mean much, due to how the ease and appeal of making YouTube videos as a career encourages other users on the site to make videos just like his in order to emulate his success, instead of making statements that are relevant to their own experiences.

Repeat until you get to your conclusion.
When is comes to your conclusion, I would recommend a structure like this:
- [Rounding up the points you have just made]
-- [Broadening out a little to mention why the ideas you've expressed are important/relevant]
--- [Talking about how your ideas are relevant in a wider context]
For example,

Conclusion: In conclusion, the effects of new and digital technology, although has drawbacks, has become key to how societies move forward, as the democratising effect of the internet allows more people to have a safe space to express who they are. In a time where LGBTQ+ awareness is higher than it's ever been over the course of history, the rapid normalisation of this minorities existence online is a reflection of the real world and shifting attitudes towards this group, showing how the power of the internet can collectively make us a little more open minded.

blah blah blah, whatever works for you.

Personally, this structure works really well for me. It helps me tick a lot of boxes without getting too carried away in one direction and forgetting what the question is. You don't have to do an alternative interpretation in all your paragraphs, but you should try to do it at least once or twice because examiners feel that students who can argue both sides usually tend to have stronger essays.

Make sure you practice in timed conditions as much as you can, because once you know how to do the structure, the hard part is banging it out in less than an hour.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US, LET'S DO OUR BEST ON THE 7TH
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (34)
25.56%
No (99)
74.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed