Fired Trump aide Michael Flynn wants immunity to testify on Russia allegations

Watch
EternalLight
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39451358

Things just got real interesting. Trumps administration is like a house of card just waiting to collapse.

I wonder what Flynn has to say about it
EternalLight
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
If someone wants immunity, it sounds like they did something illegal. This isn't the UK we are talking about.
Yup, innocent people don't ask for immunity
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ladynevertells
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AishaGirl)

Things just got real interesting. Trumps administration is like a house of card just waiting to

This will be interesting! Getting the popcorn ready 🍿
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Things just got real interesting. Trumps administration is like a house of card just waiting to collapse.

This is less significant than it looks.

Flynn clearly failed to disclose links with Moscow (and Ankara) that we already know about. He almost certainly committed crimes by those failures to disclose. He was also late in registering his work for the Turkish government. That will be a crime as well. Flynn will therefore want immunity even if his evidence has nothing new to add.

Flynn is bargaining with Congress that he will take the Fifth Amendment unless he is given immunity, but Congress will have to make that decision without knowing whether Flynn's evidence is worth the price they will have to pay to get it.
EternalLight
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
This is less significant than it looks.

Flynn clearly failed to disclose links with Moscow (and Ankara) that we already know about. He almost certainly committed crimes by those failures to disclose. He was also late in registering his work for the Turkish government. That will be a crime as well. Flynn will therefore want immunity even if his evidence has nothing new to add.

Flynn is bargaining with Congress that he will take the Fifth Amendment unless he is given immunity, but Congress will have to make that decision without knowing whether Flynn's evidence is worth the price they will have to pay to get it.
So you don't think Trump and Russia actually have anything going on and that Flynn is just trying to squirm out of a bad situation? Surely the immunity deal will only be valid if he can actually testify on something worth testifying on. No point giving him immunity if the courts already know everything.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So you don't think Trump and Russia actually have anything going on and that Flynn is just trying to squirm out of a bad situation? Surely the immunity deal will only be valid if he can actually testify on something worth testifying on. No point giving him immunity if the courts already know everything.
I don't know if there is anything at the bottom of all this with Trump and Russia; and if there is, I don't know whether Flynn knows anything about it. Any neither does Congress. I can guess and so can they.

Flynn isn't going to give any advance warning on what (if anything) he can say. If he doesn't get immunity, he will simply refuse to answer any questions on the basis that the answers might tend to incriminate him on those regulatory crimes on which he is pretty well incriminated already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (91)
65%
I don't have everything I need (49)
35%

Watched Threads