How did you find this exam??

Amazing! :woo: 13%
Good :H 26%
OKAY. :bebored: 27%
Bad... :cry2: 21%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@14%
Total votes: 901

AQA A2 Maths Discussion Thread - 2017 Edition

Welcome to the 2017 A2 Mathematics discussion thread for the module code MPC4 (Pure Core 4).
Feel free to discuss the upcoming exam, and once you've sat it. If you have any questions, feel free to raise them here! :smile:

NOTE: I am able to produce an accurate unofficial mark scheme and post it here for this paper if somebody is able to send an electronic copy of it my way after the exam is sat.

Exam Information
Board: AQA
Module: Core 4 (MPC4)
Level Classification: A2
Date: Friday 16th June 2017
Time: Afternoon, 1:00 PM
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes

Revision Resources

UMS Correlation Over Years

Questions considered for discussion

How did you find last year's paper?

Which paper was the most difficult for you, and why?

Grade boundary predictions?

Favourite C4 question?

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can you explain that graph please? I don't really know what I'm looking at
Original post by dgkjhl

The green line represents the 100 UMS trend, the blue line represents 90 UMS trend, and the yellow line represents the 80 UMS trend.

You can follow up whichever one you wish and at each vertex, if you look all the way down to the bottom from it, you can see a corresponding value which is a mark out of 75 for the paper that year.

So, if I wanted to know what year and what lowest mark could've gotten me 100 UMS, I can look where the green line is at it's lowest point and follow straight down from the vertex to see the mark, which is 63/75 in Jan 2013
Reply 3
Hardest vector questions?
Reply 4
I know this thread is pretty dead atm but does anyone have any predictions on the vector question (if there will be one :smile: ).

As in, do you think it will be one long question worth 10marks or separated into parts like past questions?

Personally, im not sure. I dont think there has been one long vector question before but you never know. Anyone who sat M1 last year will know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
@RDKGames Is there any method of doing top heavy partial fractions without algebraic long division??
Original post by cream_pie
@RDKGames Is there any method of doing top heavy partial fractions without algebraic long division??

Long division is the way to go though. Of course if you don't fancy that, there is also the grid method which might be easier for you if you're familiar with grid multiplication.
any tips on how to come up with the rate of change equations ?
Original post by MrProcrastinator
any tips on how to come up with the rate of change equations ?

Consider the information you have, construct true equations with the info given, and what think about what kind of rates of change you can get from differentiating your information with respect to something. See how it might help you answer the question.
Reply 9
Good luck to all for Friday!
Reply 10
Original post by dgkjhl

I don't think you are ready for c4
In the m1 exam last year there was a 10 marker at the end on vectors haha
Original post by kiiten
I know this thread is pretty dead atm but does anyone have any predictions on the vector question (if there will be one :smile: ).

As in, do you think it will be one long question worth 10marks or separated into parts like past questions?

Personally, im not sure. I dont think there has been one long vector question before but you never know. Anyone who sat M1 last year will know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by kiiten

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://gyazo.com/aff9d9bebe1dfe53b00652cbb55b9948
Can anyone help with 4 b ii?

answer says you get x = 1/3 but I don't know how to get there

I tried to rearrange the "cube root of 1/81" in to "9^-2/3"

but I don't know how to get to x = 1/3?

Edit: Nevermind, solved it
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by chloejacquest
In the m1 exam last year there was a 10 marker at the end on vectors haha

Yep thats what im talking about :frown:

But i felt better after knowing that others had no idea what was going on too xD
Reply 14
Please could someone help me with this question?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72168308#post72168308
Reply 15
Any predictions for what type of questions are likely to come up?
Anyone got some the hardest vector questions to revise, that's all that's worrying me
http://prntscr.com/fk6elt OCR difficult vector questions
http://prntscr.com/fk6eqt AQA difficult vector questions

Friend and I exchanged these.
Guys I'm really stuck with vectors, I can answer any vector question unless it involves a right angled triangle or a quadrilateral etc. I don't understand how to answer these questions and the mark scheme makes no sense to me. Does anyone have any tips for this?
Original post by Mattwebberley
Guys I'm really stuck with vectors, I can answer any vector question unless it involves a right angled triangle or a quadrilateral etc. I don't understand how to answer these questions and the mark scheme makes no sense to me. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Draw a sketch. If you're given (or if you prove) that certain vectors are perpendicular, then put that in your sketch. Otherwise you can just draw something.

Is there a particular kind of question that doesn't make sense?

By the way I wouldn't stress about it too much. Just move on if you cannot do the question and come back to it later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending