Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    I am not blaming her, i am just asking her to tone down her behaviour. I have never been in a 'couple' however I have been with a girl and when we were together (it lasted 5 nights, so was not a relationship) we did not do anything more extreme than a peck in public.
    Well bully for you, you'd make a great victorian. I find your behaviour odd and it might make me uncomfortable, do I have a right to ask you to change it?

If I can contol myself surely she should be able to as well.
    Why? To make you happy? What if it makes her unhappy? What's more important? What exactly is she doing? Ripping his clothes off and shagging in the middle of the pub? I don't think so, probs a bit of tongue hockey I should guess at - you're teenagers that's what you do, lighten up.

ReputationRep:
    So I am asking them to tone down their behaviour in public, is there anything wrong with that? Perhaps if I tell you that we have actually been kicked out of pubs because of their behaviour it might go someway to explain how bad they get. Kissing is one thing, but snogging for 10's of minutes is unacceptable.
    I'd say that the Landlords of these particular establishments were pda nazis. Oh no! Not snogging, in public! Call the police! And I thought we lived in a liberal and open society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Well bully for you, you'd make a great victorian. I find your behaviour odd and it might make me uncomfortable, do I have a right to ask you to change it?
    Me not showing excessive affection in public makes you uncomfortable? I dont care what they do in private, I am very affectionate but I just don't feel the need to demonstrate that in public. It is totally inappropriate. It is a private emotion and does not need to be broadcast to everyone nearby. Who cares if I dont show it, just because i dont show it doesn't mean i don't feel exactly the same way you do. I just have a better ability to control myself.

ReputationRep:
    Me not showing excessive affection in public makes you uncomfortable?
    Excessive? When did I use that word?

I dont care what they do in private, I am very affectionate but I just don't feel the need to demonstrate that in public.
    You're entitled to your opinion.

It is totally inappropriate.
    I disagree, I think people should be allowed to show their affection for someone in public.

It is a private emotion and does not need to be broadcast to everyone nearby.
    Do you seriously believe that is the intention?

Who cares if I dont show it, just because i dont show it doesn't mean i don't feel exactly the same way you do. I just have a better ability to control myself.
    That is really arrogant. Just because I choose to kiss my gf in public does not mean I have any less self-control than you, it just means my standards of behaviour in public are different to yours.

ReputationRep:
    Excessive? When did I use that word?
    You didn't but I think that behaviour is

You're entitled to your opinion.
    Thank you. They don't seem to think that i am.

I disagree, I think people should be allowed to show their affection for someone in public.
    I never said they wern't, just that I think that that is too much, small gestures are more than enough, handholding, hugging etc.

Do you seriously believe that is the intention?
    With them yes, they seem to deliberately up the anti when i ask them to stop.

That is really arrogant. Just because I choose to kiss my gf in public does not mean I have any less self-control than you, it just means my standards of behaviour in public are different to yours.
    Maybe but that is the way it seems to me. So my standard of behaviour is different, does that make it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    You didn't but I think that behaviour is
    Again your opinion.

Thank you. They don't seem to think that i am.
    mmm, not sure about that. I think they are denying that your opinion is anymore valid than theirs, which is perfectly justifiable.

I never said they wern't, just that I think that that is too much, small gestures are more than enough, handholding, hugging etc.
    Again your opinion.

With them yes, they seem to deliberately up the anti when i ask them to stop.
    Because you are telling them that what they are doing is wrong and that their standards are wrong and then asking them to change their behaviour (which you have no right to do). Hence they will try and piss you off (albeit in a childish manner) because you are annoying them. The best thing to do is just walk away if you don't like it.

Maybe but that is the way it seems to me. So my standard of behaviour is different, does that make it wrong?
    No it isn't wrong, but it isn't more right than my view, which you have to respect and tolerate. People do things that I find unusual and uncomfortable, but are not without the realms of normalcy - I generally find that these thing highlight my own insecurities and prejudices. You may not like what your friend and her bf are doing, but as long as it doesn't break any laws (or if it is on your property you can ask them to stop I suppose) then you have no right to interfere and try and stop it. Becoming more tolerant is the way forward because then things like this don't bother you.

ReputationRep:
    I know this situation.

ChemistBoy I think is being a bit unfair.

but SciFi.... Maybe you sahould ask yourself seriously, are they really doing it to annoy you? probably not.

Last night I went to watch a movie at a friends house. There were 6 people, including 2 couples. I'm single. It's hard to watch a sh*te movie when all you can hear is exchanging saliva (Sp?)

Especially when one of the girls is your (ex)-best mate.

Jealousy probably that she's moved on and I haven't

But I know how you feel. Just last the night... its only a few hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBR50)
    I know this situation.

ChemistBoy I think is being a bit unfair.

but SciFi.... Maybe you sahould ask yourself seriously, are they really doing it to annoy you? probably not.

Last night I went to watch a movie at a friends house. There were 6 people, including 2 couples. I'm single. It's hard to watch a sh*te movie when all you can hear is exchanging saliva (Sp?)

Especially when one of the girls is your (ex)-best mate.

Jealousy probably that she's moved on and I haven't

But I know how you feel. Just last the night... its only a few hours
    mmm, you are right and i will try to do that. Thanks for all the opinions guys/girls, i just wanted to see whether I was being unfair or if they were being a bit harsh. I will try my best but it does bother me and i dont see why i should hide that fact. I think the alcohol might be a good thing. If it isn't well i'll just have to get paralytic, not that they don't expect that from me! You never know i might get a nice ride in an ambulance!!

ReputationRep:
    lol, I really do understand you. I've been through most of this recently.... it's not nice. I'm also not one for 'serous-affection' in public. Then again neither was my friend. It's also strange to feel the need to avert your eyes... and you don't really know where to look, and when your cue to look is (i.e. when someone wants to speak to you). Weird feelings.

My plan is to find a really good looking girl and make everyone jelous as I 'get my own back'... I don't expect to have much look with that plan though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBR50)
    lol, I really do understand you. I've been through most of this recently.... it's not nice. I'm also not one for 'serous-affection' in public. Then again neither was my friend. It's also strange to feel the need to avert your eyes... and you don't really know where to look, and when your cue to look is (i.e. when someone wants to speak to you). Weird feelings.

My plan is to find a really good looking girl and make everyone jelous as I 'get my own back'... I don't expect to have much look with that plan though :rolleyes:
    I know, i always mean to try that however I never get anywhere either. It just seems so easy for those good looking blokes, which I could never be classed as one!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.