The Student Room Group

Tightening in throat, feeling like being choked and gagging when wearing clothes tha

kk
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,
It does depend on various factors - your age, your past medical history, family history, social history and any drug history.

With a short history of problems with the breathing mechanism (of which the pharynx/larynx [throat] is a part), I would err on the side of safety and have yourself seen by your doctor, I would advise first thing tomorrow.

Although chances are that this is related to the gastro-intestinal problem that you had, other conditions do come to mind immediately that need to be excluded. "Choking feeling" makes my priorities to be to check for (by meticulous history and clinical examination):

1. some kind of allergic phenomenon (Type I hypersensitivity reaction) - are there any allergies OR eczema OR asthma in the family? Is there any correlation of these symptoms to ingestion of any foods like nuts or eggs? Is there a dog, cat or parrot in the house?

2. are you a girl, and if so, are you on the pill? Have you noticed any pain, redmess and/or swelling on your calf? There is a small chance of a clot in the lungs.

I m deliberately making you a little nervous although these conditions are not very likely, so you do something about it! Insist on your doctor taking a full history and performing a thorough examination.

SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

IF SYMPTOMS GET WORSE or you notice any new symptoms (swelling of lips, itching in lips or face, feeling dizzy, chest pain), call an ambulance Better get someone else to phone 999 and say "my friend/relative cannot breath" otherwise they will not send one.

TAKE CARE!

M (former medical student)
Original post by macpatelgh
Hi,
It does depend on various factors - your age, your past medical history, family history, social history and any drug history.

With a short history of problems with the breathing mechanism (of which the pharynx/larynx [throat] is a part), I would err on the side of safety and have yourself seen by your doctor, I would advise first thing tomorrow.

Although chances are that this is related to the gastro-intestinal problem that you had, other conditions do come to mind immediately that need to be excluded. "Choking feeling" makes my priorities to be to check for (by meticulous history and clinical examination):

1. some kind of allergic phenomenon (Type I hypersensitivity reaction) - are there any allergies OR eczema OR asthma in the family? Is there any correlation of these symptoms to ingestion of any foods like nuts or eggs? Is there a dog, cat or parrot in the house?

2. are you a girl, and if so, are you on the pill? Have you noticed any pain, redmess and/or swelling on your calf? There is a small chance of a clot in the lungs.

I m deliberately making you a little nervous although these conditions are not very likely, so you do something about it! Insist on your doctor taking a full history and performing a thorough examination.

SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

IF SYMPTOMS GET WORSE or you notice any new symptoms (swelling of lips, itching in lips or face, feeling dizzy, chest pain), call an ambulance Better get someone else to phone 999 and say "my friend/relative cannot breath" otherwise they will not send one.

TAKE CARE!

M (former medical student)

Why did you stop being a medical student?
decided I did not want to work nights all my life

Quick Reply

Latest