Turn on thread page Beta

University of London! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right - rather than 1001 individual threads on forums and which places should have them, and in order to appeal en masse to the mighty 'd' would you like to see:

http://www.lon.ac.uk/Colleges_Institutes/home.asp?theDir=^Colleges%5FInst itutes^&level=0&id=533

I realise that there are options missing, but limited by the size of the poll allowed. I also realise some are already represented

ReputationRep:
    I would rather have individual colleges as UoL is not as inclusive or integrated as people outside London might think.

Failing that, I think a UoL forum should be there as a saftey for those colleges that do not recieve their own forum.

I am not sure how acquisition of a subforum works at the moment but the mechanism gives the impression of being quite crappy and the associated reasoning seems unscientific.

ReputationRep:
    The 'granting' of sub-fora does seem rather random.

I went for generic as I thought we might have more chance of getting one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    The 'granting' of sub-fora does seem rather random.

I went for generic as I thought we might have more chance of getting one!
    I'd like a KCL sub forum but failing that a UoL one would be great.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main problem with this forum is that a good percentage of the very regular users are too in love with Oxbridge and have as such formed a self appreciation society which serves only as a place to flex their own egos IMO. I think they have to wake up and realise that not everyone gives a damn about Oxford or Cambridge.

The UoL is arguably one of the most important higher education institutions in the UK, Europe and beyond. If it is not asking too much, we should have a UoL sub-forum that is then further sub-divided into the constituent colleges. UoL for general questions regarding London life and accommodation etc and then the individual colleges for more specific inquiries – a kind of mini version of the Universities forums as it stands:

UoL (30 viewing)
    Sub-forumsCL, KCL, ICL, QMW, LSE, SOAS, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths
    St Georges, etc. etc.

Afterall I thought this site was aimed at helping university bound students, yet the current set up is just not helpful to prospective London undergraduates IMO. Many peole are nervous about moving away from home to study in the capital and have many questions about living in London as well as concerns regarding individual colleges. This solution will serve to help all those people under one banner.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main problem with this forum is that a good percentage of the very regular users are too in love with Oxbridge and have as such formed a self appreciation society which serves only as a place to flex their own egos IMO.
    Touche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unclecraig)
    I think the main problem with this forum is that a good percentage of the very regular users are too in love with Oxbridge and have as such formed a self appreciation society which serves only as a place to flex their own egos IMO. I think they have to wake up and realise that not everyone gives a damn about Oxford or Cambridge.

The UoL is arguably one of the most important higher education institutions in the UK, Europe and beyond. If it is not asking too much, we should have a UoL sub-forum that is then further sub-divided into the constituent colleges. UoL for general questions regarding London life and accommodation etc and then the individual colleges for more specific inquiries – a kind of mini version of the Universities forums as it stands:

UoL (30 viewing)
    St Georges, etc. etc.

Afterall I thought this site was aimed at helping university bound students, yet the current set up is just not helpful to prospective London undergraduates IMO. Many peole are nervous about moving away from home to study in the capital and have many questions about living in London as well as concerns regarding individual colleges. This solution will serve to help all those people under one banner.
    I agree, it seems silly not to have a UoL sub forum.

ReputationRep:
    I'll let this run for a week and ask 'd' again, using this as supporting information.

Given that it's UCAS form time of year again, it would be shame not to get a UoL sub-forum sorted soon...

ReputationRep:
    'd' 'd' 'd', what a sorry state of affairs!

ReputationRep:
    While were at it: Glasgow.

ReputationRep:

UoL (30 viewing)
    St Georges, etc. etc.

I agree!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. The prevalent attitude seems to be that people are prepared to accept Oxbridge are superior to their own university, but theyl be damned if they accept any other university is of a greater pedigree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Absolutely. The prevalent attitude seems to be that people are prepared to accept Oxbridge are superior to their own university, but theyl be damned if they accept any other university is of a greater pedigree.

I agree (although don't think all OxBrodge students on here are like that). The difference between University of Wales Swansea and University of Oxford: little! i had a ball at both places - Swansea had some great bonuses over Oxford and vice versa. now I'm off to Queen Mary University of London. Is it a 'come down'? Hell No! I'm going to my first choice! And hopefully I'll qualify to do the thing I really want to do at the end of it

ReputationRep:

UoL (30 viewing)
    St Georges, etc. etc.

You got what you wanted, great post in general.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.