I got an offer from a "high-ranking uni" but rejected by a "lower-ranking" uni? Watch

ShootingArrow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Now before you start answering, I know that university rankings aren't everything and, in some cases, meaningless. I am currently doing a foundation year at a "low rank" uni, but I feel it's so wrong for this uni to get such an evaluation. I had the best types of resources available for my studies and the lecturers are always available. I fee like I'm performing and learning better than what I achieved in high school.

But I am perplexed by my current UCAS offers. I got conditional offers from two universities and one of them is somewhat on top of the ranking system.(I want to avoid naming them, please understand). However, I was rejected by my other choices, which are kind of in the lower ranks (not all of them). Is this actually normal? Has this ever happened to any of you? I am starting to doubt that may be they had accepted me by mistake? I double checked my application details just to make sure I didn't make any errors, especially in the qualifications section, but no, I am clean. Should I call the university? (but ugh, what if I lose my offer!!) Basically: HELP **panic mode:activated"
username2110825
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ShootingArrow)
Now before you start answering, I know that university rankings aren't everything and, in some cases, meaningless. I am currently doing a foundation year at a "low rank" uni, but I feel it's so wrong for this uni to get such an evaluation. I had the best types of resources available for my studies and the lecturers are always available. I fee like I'm performing and learning better than what I achieved in high school.

But I am perplexed by my current UCAS offers. I got conditional offers from two universities and one of them is somewhat on top of the ranking system.(I want to avoid naming them, please understand). However, I was rejected by my other choices, which are kind of in the lower ranks (not all of them). Is this actually normal? Has this ever happened to any of you? I am starting to doubt that may be they had accepted me by mistake? I double checked my application details just to make sure I didn't make any errors, especially in the qualifications section, but no, I am clean. Should I call the university? (but ugh, what if I lose my offer!!) Basically: HELP **panic mode:activated"
This happened to me and pretty much everyone I knew at Sixth Form; I'd say it's normal. If you have the higher offer, why sweat it? Long as you're not missing anything from the lower places.
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I got rejected by St George`s this year for medicine- normally offer ABB to AAA depending on circumstances- i had A*A*AAa predictions- its ranked 33rd in medicine and 44th overall- i did however get an offer from UCL- 5th in medicine and consistently in top 10 worldwide- i think its just luck of the draw, id just roll with it.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't worry about it - you have conditional offers, so I doubt that it's a mistake. Be happy that you got an offer from a good university, which I assume would have been your top choice.

How do the typical offers from the universities that rejected you compare to your predicted grades? Perhaps they though it would be a waste of an offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (404)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (483)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (252)
11.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed