How hard is it to get into Royal Holloway Drama and Theatre Studies?

Watch
username3035508
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
ok
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ceebeevee)
Hi,
How hard is it to get into the Drama and Theatre Studies course at the Royal Holloway Uni? Is anyone studying there? Is it a good course, ie. broad with excellent teachers etc, or is it better to go and study Acting at a Drama School?
Hi Ceebeevee,

Great questions!

I just graduated from Drama and Theatre Studies at Royal Holloway, so hopefully I can help. Let me know if you have any questions about anything - always happy to talk drama!!

I found the course to be the perfect blend (50/50) between practical performance and the critical analysis side of things. This meant I got to take several performance based modules (like Puppetry and Physical Theatre) but also explore modules about 'Idea of Acting' and 'Philosophy of the Arts'. This is something that you wouldn't necessarily get from a Drama School, where the primary focus would be on acting and performance. Have you studied Drama and Theatre at A-Level?

We also have loads of chances to perform, too. There are so many societies that all explore different kinds of performance, from Shakespeare Society, to Musical Theatre Society, as well as the Department's own society, The Student Workshop. There are so many chances to perform, but also to be involved with other bits of theatre making, such as directing, choreographing, and things like Stage Management, which you might not have explored before. We were recently rated 6th in the UK for the study of performing arts by QS World University Rankings, which not only shows that the course is highly regarded, but also reflects the really creative atmosphere on campus. I loved how many different kinds of creative people there were around, and that everyone is so happy to work together on so many weird and wonderful projects.

I'd definitely suggest coming and having a look for yourself. Are you looking to apply to university for 2018? If so, we've got a few Open Days this year which can give you a feel for the vibe on campus, and let you chat to students who study the course, and lecturers. What is it about the course/ Royal Holloway that interests you?

Susana!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (531)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (645)
41.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (316)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise