The Student Room Group

Macbook Pro - is 128gb enough?

Scroll to see replies

Im in the same situation as you - Recently bought the 2015 version, i think the best choice is cloud storage such as dropbox
Original post by .( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
The macbook pro 2015 128gb 13" has the following specs and costs roughly £1100:

Screen size -
13 inch

Storage -
128gb SSD

Graphics -

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Processor -

2.7GHz Intel core i5

Memory -

8GB ram

I Just had a quick search and came across this laptop HP 250 G5 i7 X0Q77ES which costs £500 https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X0Q77ESABU-HP-250-G5_2023383.html (You can probably find even better options, i literally found this in 2 mins). This has the following specs:

Screensize -
15.6 inch (bigger)

Storage -
256gb SSD (double the mac's storage).

Graphics -
Intel® HD Graphics 520 (Mac beats, it in this category however, the mac only gets 40-50 fps on csgo which is pretty dire considering you can get a desktop around the £500 mark which can run it at 200-300fps).

Processor -
i7-6500U Dual Core 2.5GHz (better than mac)

Memory-
8gb (same as mac).

I doubt the processor is better than a mac. Maybe on paper, but you have to remember every application that runs on a mac is optimised to run on a mac. Windows has to run on a much broader variety of hardware and this impacts speed.

My 2.6Ghz i5 macbook runs smoother than my 3.2 Ghz i7 pc
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by unomie
I doubt the processor is better than a mac. Maybe on paper, but you have to remember every application that runs on a mac is optimised to run on a mac. Windows has to run on a much broader variety of hardware and this impacts speed.

My 2.6Ghz i5 macbook runs smoother than my 3.2 Ghz i7 pc

That would be due to the SSD, not the processor.
My SSD, that size, barely has anything on it and is struggling for room.
Really double that would be ideal. Also wish to restate that their computers tend to be a rip off.
Just to point out, I'm a couple of years older than you & have the exact same size laptop. After every school year I have to move my files onto an external hard drive because I do not have enough space. 128gb barely gives you enough space to have any other programs apart from the basics (I'm one of those teens who has practically all of their life stored and backed up on their laptop.) I have recently got another storage device that fits in the SD port, so if you want to save the money you could look into something similar? However, I'm quite shocked at the amount of people saying that 128gb would last you such a long amount of time, if you consider your iTunes, years worth of photos, phone backups and documents, space does decrease very quickly..
Original post by edenpsmith
Just to point out, I'm a couple of years older than you & have the exact same size laptop. After every school year I have to move my files onto an external hard drive because I do not have enough space. 128gb barely gives you enough space to have any other programs apart from the basics (I'm one of those teens who has practically all of their life stored and backed up on their laptop.) I have recently got another storage device that fits in the SD port, so if you want to save the money you could look into something similar? However, I'm quite shocked at the amount of people saying that 128gb would last you such a long amount of time, if you consider your iTunes, years worth of photos, phone backups and documents, space does decrease very quickly..

We did try to say that but OP wants a Mac very badly.
Original post by .( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
128gb is enough. I don't understand why you would buy a laptop for roughly £1000 when you can get one for less than £500 with the same/better specs just because it's made by apple.
They're just trying to make up for their low IQs by payig high prices.
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
That would be due to the SSD, not the processor.

Huh? It's all the hardware
Original post by edenpsmith

It's 2017, all that should be on the cloud. 128GB is more than enough for anyone. Even for media students they should be utilising google drive.
Original post by unomie
Huh? It's all the hardware

General smoothness is dictated by the SSD/HDD and application performance is more from the processor, GPU and RAM
Don't get a mac if you're planning on doing physics/engineering/maths at uni, the options available for programming IDEs and such are pretty :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: and they're horribly optimised for the job.

You can get nice looking laptops that you aren't literally paying £500 because someone spraypainted the whole thing white at the last stage of production, which will probably have the standard 1TB HDD where you'll almost never run out of room. It'll also last you longer and you won't look like a pretentious twit in the library.

I'm sorry but I'm sick of the poor "but aesthetics matter to me" excuse getting carted out with macs when you're already paying above average for the actual value of the components and specs even before you start adding arbitrary value for "design". It's a poorly designed OS on an average set of components in an overdesigned case. Plus for the subjects you've indicated an interest in, it'd be a lot better to get a PC with a large HDD and create a dual boot of linux and start getting used to that, since unix environments are by far the most common you'll find in those fields.

I suspect however you will ignore this advice, get a tawdry 128GB MacBook™ for a couple grand, then after a year and a half of crap being installed on it including the horribly inefficient OS updates, complain about how slow and useless it is (not to mention resign yourself to doing all your project work on one of the uni computer clusters because the 2GB of RAM it came with is trying to commit seppuku every time you attempt compile and run even the simplest bit of code).
General smoothness is dictated by the SSD/HDD and application performance is more from the processor, GPU and RAM

Every component is optimised to put less load on the system, therefor providing an more overall smooth experience. if you upgrade a mac's hardware - I agree that SSD will show more results. I'm talking about baseline mac vs pc though.
Original post by unomie
Every component is optimised to put less load on the system, therefor providing an more overall smooth experience. if you upgrade a mac's hardware - I agree that SSD will show more results. I'm talking about baseline mac vs pc though.

PC's can have SSD's and are much cheaper for a similar set of hardware. MacBooks still make sense due to their brilliant battery life but iMacs are underpowered compared to a PC for the price.
PC's can have SSD's and are much cheaper for a similar set of hardware. MacBooks still make sense due to their brilliant battery life but iMacs are underpowered compared to a PC for the price.

I know. The original point I made is that you can't really compare PC vs Mac hardware as a 2.6 Ghz i5 with 8gb RAM & SSD in a macbook is pretty snappy. Put that same hardware in a PC and it's not so good. This is evident when you partition and dual boot windows too.
all you need is windows dualbooted with linux :h:
Original post by unomie
I know. The original point I made is that you can't really compare PC vs Mac hardware as a 2.6 Ghz i5 with 8gb RAM & SSD in a macbook is pretty snappy. Put that same hardware in a PC and it's not so good. This is evident when you partition and dual boot windows too.

Of course it won't be as snappy. MacOS is well optimised. The difference is the PC would be a fair but cheaper at the sesame hardware. When they're both the same price, the PC would win.
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course it won't be as snappy. MacOS is well optimised. The difference is the PC would be a fair but cheaper at the sesame hardware. When they're both the same price, the PC would win.

....go read my OP in this thread.
Original post by unomie
....go read my OP in this thread.

Ok then, let's make a point. What is the best value iMac in your opinion? Link it to your post.
Ok then, let's make a point. What is the best value iMac in your opinion? Link it to your post.

I never said macs were good value for money so not sure what you're on about?
Original post by unomie
I never said macs were good value for money so not sure what you're on about?

You said that Macs optimise their hardware well. If we have two solid machines to compare it'll be easier to explain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending