The Student Room Group

Whites dont integrate into majority non-white cities. Why expect the reverse?

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Your question is seriously why don't nationals of a country change their culture and adapt to another in their homeland where they've lived all their lives because the people travelling to live there refuse to integrate, and they had little choice in the placement or allotment of said immigrants?

The entire premise is the traditional culture has been so displaced by a lack of integration the dutch should give it up entirely which is ridiculous. This is another 'false gotcha' based on stupid premises. It also ignores the only reason the 'ethnic majority' culture is different is because they refused to integrate in the first place.

This is the exact same hypocrisy just in reverse.
I don't expect migrants to leave their cultures for ours when they come here as multiculturalism is good but they shouldn't come and try to change ours to theirs.
Original post by Mathemagicien
What do you guys think? Can we really expect immigrants to integrate to our modern culture, if we don't even do the same?

Sure "we" (whoever we is) can. See firstly I'm not a white person living in a majority non-white city who isn't integrating and secondly even if I were and even if I were a massive hypocrite. It wouldn't make my view of integration being the right thing to do incorrect, it would just mean that I should also practice what I preach.
It is an ethnic thing, not about who was born there. The immigrant populations started arriving in the 1960s, most people in the immigrant communities lived in the Netherlands all their lives too.

The ethnic majority culture is different to the integrated multiculture. Just look at London vs. rural England.

Well the children of immigrants maintained their culture to pass on else their culture would be the same as the current Dutch people and this wouldn't even be a question. So at some point there was a failure to integrate else it would be your 'integrated multiculture',

That isn't an answer to what I said. In order for the culture to be different by definition cultural groups didn't integrate thus its hypocrisy to demand the white dutch integrate with majority culture (not theirs) when the immigrants have not attempted to do so. Its hypocrisy to say 'well now white dutch are a minority they should integrate' when the ethnic minority who were a minority in number at some point did not do so. That's basically strongarming.

As for 'integrated multiculture' I don't know where in London you come from but where I was born that came with 'terms and conditions' to put it politely from all racial groups. Squashing lots of varied cultures into a small geographic space isn't inherently a catalyst for multiculturalism.

As for can we expect immigrants to integrate? Yes. That doesn't mean we expect them to give up their culture but if they profess views fundamentally opposed to the country they have entered and have a culture that respects or enacts those views for example 'honour killings' or 'child marriage' then that is the point at which integration must give way to the fundamental protections of a liberal, rule of law society. The death of liberalism is tolerating intolerance. The death of law is accepting the unacceptable. Take Rotherham where police were so scared of the label 'racist' they failed to do anything about disgusting abuse - I'm not saying this was a precept of any but those who engaged in it, rather my point is if you allow such things to fester they corrupt society from the inside out. Speech should be free without boundary. Action should not. Our society should protect the very rules that make us as free as is practicable from those who seek to erode them (incidentally this includes resisting government invasions of privacy and the like also).
What do you guys think? Can we really expect immigrants to integrate to our modern culture, if we don't even do the same?

non whites chose to come here and live with us, we did not move to their countries to live with them
Original post by Flashing Planet
non whites chose to come here and live with us, we did not move to their countries to live with them

I think the perception among a lot of migrants is that netherlands/uk is their colonial mother country who stole their wealth in the first place; they are effectively performing reverse colonialism so why bother with the cultural niceties when they only want to make money anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending