The Student Room Group

WJEC French FN2 & FN4 (LEGACY) 1192/01 & 1194/01 - 05 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Is anyone doing WJEC french, and how are you studying for the speaking/written exam in June?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing A2 WJEC french after having done OCR AS (switched college)

so far I've found the best way to revise to be planning essays on the books/films
I've studied L'étranger, La Haine & Le Grand Voyage.

I've not really bothered with listening practice yet as it's only worth 5/98 marks. To improve for the reading I'd definitely suggest reading articles on french news websites & maybe reading more articles from the cards we use for the speaking!

How are you prepping for the speaking exam? :smile:
Reply 2
I'm doing la Haine for the speaking and silence de la mer for the essay. I've started to plan essays for possible questions as getting a lot of ideas is a good starting point and for the speaking I'm mindmapping the themes to again, get more ideas and be more prepared for the exam. I think reading articles is good a idea, which films/books are studying currently?
Reply 3
Original post by AmberTheApple
I'm doing A2 WJEC french after having done OCR AS (switched college)

so far I've found the best way to revise to be planning essays on the books/films
I've studied L'étranger, La Haine & Le Grand Voyage.

I've not really bothered with listening practice yet as it's only worth 5/98 marks. To improve for the reading I'd definitely suggest reading articles on french news websites & maybe reading more articles from the cards we use for the speaking!

How are you prepping for the speaking exam? :smile:

why have you studied 3 components? :0
which one are you doing your expose on and which your essay? :smile:
Reply 4
I'm doing my expose on Le Grand Voyage, and les Choristes for the exam. I'm not really sure how to prepare! I've thought of possible questions the examiner could ask about my presentation and will plan answers, but it's far from guaranteed they'll come up. Reading articales I find useful, and just going over handouts and vocab. My speaking exam isa on the 21st!!
Reply 5
What's most likely is that they will base questions from your exposé so read through it and pull out the "hooks" and then form questions from them and then plan a possible answer and if possible make sure your answer links to other aspects of the film/book
Original post by ICB
why have you studied 3 components? :0
which one are you doing your expose on and which your essay? :smile:

I'm not really sure why we've done 3! It's a bit pointless to me b/c I HATE L'étranger with a passion so will only write about le grand voyage or la haine in the exam!

My exposé's on Au revoir les enfants - we get complete free reign to choose any french speaking book/film we'd like:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AmberTheApple
I'm not really sure why we've done 3! It's a bit pointless to me b/c I HATE L'étranger with a passion so will only write about le grand voyage or la haine in the exam!

My exposé's on Au revoir les enfants - we get complete free reign to choose any french speaking book/film we'd like:smile:

ah I see, so you get a choice in the exam. We just did one film for each exam, so I'll be doing Les Choristes whether I like it or not!
Hiya! This is a nice exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself

Good luck in your exams
Does anyone know where to find French model essays that use good essay phrases and general writing?
Reply 10
Original post by pamplemousse.
Does anyone know where to find French model essays that use good essay phrases and general writing?

I'm looking for the same thing. What movie are u basing ur essay on? Mines les choristes and I'm scared
My essay is also Les Choristes which I love as my speaking was La Haine, I have completed all of the past paper essays which my teacher has marked throughout the year. I just hope a theme or main character is the essay question. I am just revising key examples/ scenes and quotes from the film because this is the biggest chunk of the marks for the essay. I'm scared about the reading - the answers need to be completely exact in order to gain the marks.
Reply 12
Original post by CChilvers10
My essay is also Les Choristes which I love as my speaking was La Haine, I have completed all of the past paper essays which my teacher has marked throughout the year. I just hope a theme or main character is the essay question. I am just revising key examples/ scenes and quotes from the film because this is the biggest chunk of the marks for the essay. I'm scared about the reading - the answers need to be completely exact in order to gain the marks.

Do you mind writing all the possible themes/characters which can come up because i need to be sure i have notes on all please thank you
Original post by S.xxo
Do you mind writing all the possible themes/characters which can come up because i need to be sure i have notes on all please thank you

I have revised mainly key scenes from the film in the hope that I would be able to tailor them to whatever essay question.
Themes I have are: hope, discipline, behaviour, music and the war.
(Music and Hope are basically the same because the choir and influence of Clement Mathieu give the boys hope)
Discipline includes Rachin 'Action-Reaction' approach. Behaviour is pretty general, but the essay might be tailored around how the behaviour of the boys changed throughout the film in which you would include discipline and music.
The war effects Mathieu - he is unemployed and Fond de L'etang is a last resort for him - as it means 'Rock Bottom'.
Violette she says 'Au moins il mangera chaud midi au soir' - shows how she is unable to look after Pierre on her own as a single mother after the war.
Also, Pepinot - he is an orphan of the war.
Main characters I have are: Clement Mathieu, Rachin, Pierre Morhange, Mondain and Pepinot.
I noticed in a past paper that they had previously asked a question on Violette Morhange, I wouldn't really know what to write because she isn't really a significant character but I guess you would bring in Pierre and Mathieu.
This would be the same for an essay on Corbin - you would possibly bring in the influence of Mondain.
(I hope this helps - I feel like I've rambled)
Reply 14
Original post by CChilvers10
I have revised mainly key scenes from the film in the hope that I would be able to tailor them to whatever essay question.
Themes I have are: hope, discipline, behaviour, music and the war.
(Music and Hope are basically the same because the choir and influence of Clement Mathieu give the boys hope)
Discipline includes Rachin 'Action-Reaction' approach. Behaviour is pretty general, but the essay might be tailored around how the behaviour of the boys changed throughout the film in which you would include discipline and music.
The war effects Mathieu - he is unemployed and Fond de L'etang is a last resort for him - as it means 'Rock Bottom'.
Violette she says 'Au moins il mangera chaud midi au soir' - shows how she is unable to look after Pierre on her own as a single mother after the war.
Also, Pepinot - he is an orphan of the war.
Main characters I have are: Clement Mathieu, Rachin, Pierre Morhange, Mondain and Pepinot.
I noticed in a past paper that they had previously asked a question on Violette Morhange, I wouldn't really know what to write because she isn't really a significant character but I guess you would bring in Pierre and Mathieu.
This would be the same for an essay on Corbin - you would possibly bring in the influence of Mondain.
(I hope this helps - I feel like I've rambled)

Yeah same that morhange past paper question confused me because she's not a main character so it made me worried like if they just bring a random character who's not really important up
Original post by S.xxo
Yeah same that morhange past paper question confused me because she's not a main character so it made me worried like if they just bring a random character who's not really important up

Yeah! It's the same with the essay question on the use of flashback which I would not pick in the exam.
I'm doing L'étranger! I am so ready to flop 😂😂😂 Hope it's a good exam
Reply 17
Loved the question on les choristes, unfortunately i didn't know the word for income or prominent or significant, so the translation was not good...
Original post by ICB
Loved the question on les choristes, unfortunately i didn't know the word for income or prominent or significant, so the translation was not good...

I only got significant, god I did badly on that translation compared to most
Original post by ICB

Did you do the adolescence one? I didn't know prominent either, just looked it up and you can just use important - feeling like an idiot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending