Harr1sonW
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I was in my college car park on my moped with a friend on the back just taking him up and down a few times.
I was caught by a member of staff and they they took my reg and name.
What could they do?
Can I get points on my licence?
Thanks
Nick Brunjes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Buy a car
Harr1sonW
Rep:
?
Well I'm 16
If you can't help me don't reply
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Car parks are 99% of the time Private Land, as as such you cannot be prosecuted for speeding 'on the public highway'. There is no danger of getting any points or any other police action. However, the College could well take disciplinary action against you for contravening their rules and regulations, and you're certainly not helping yourself by acting like that in the college car park.
Harr1sonW
Rep:
?
Thankyou, how can I find out if it is private land?
Thanks
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Harr1sonW)
Thanks
I'm 99.9% sure it will be if it's a college car park - is it a Pay and Display? Can the public park in it, or is it just for college students? If you want to be absolutely sure, then ask at College who owns the car park.
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I was in my college car park on my moped with a friend on the back just taking him up and down a few times.
What could they do?
Thanks
It's not a public highway there is no speed limit to break other than the car park operators own policy which is a civil matter. But there is still a public safety interest which is conceivably prosecutable but it would take more than the word of a staff member to uphold.

Realistically the worst thing you've got to worry about is being barred from the car park or the college's disciplinary procedure.
Harr1sonW
Rep:
?
Thankyou,
What if it was a case of I had a passenger and I had no helmet on?
Thanks
username2191987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thankyou,
What if it was a case of I had a passenger and I had no helmet on?
Thanks
You are almost certainly okay but bear in mind that if you had an accident then acting like a **** could mean your insurance is void. If your friend banged his head because you popped a wheelie or you bashed a car it is possible there would be some third party cover but you would likely end up out of pocket, and your policy price will skyrocket.
Wind your neck in. It's people like you who make policies so expensive.
username2191987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks
It is probably private but there may be a sign informing drivers that the land is not a highway.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP you do have insurance, don't you ?
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Car parks are 99% of the time Private Land, as as such you cannot be prosecuted for speeding 'on the public highway'. There is no danger of getting any points or any other police action. However, the College could well take disciplinary action against you for contravening their rules and regulations, and you're certainly not helping yourself by acting like that in the college car park.
Not quite that simple unfortunately. The Road Traffic Act also applies to 'public places', which means it's applicable to many (but not all) car parks.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
Not quite that simple unfortunately. The Road Traffic Act also applies to 'public places', which means it's applicable to many (but not all) car parks.
It's not a 'public place' - that's the point. If it's a college car park, then it's 99% likely to be private land and the RTA wouldn't apply.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not a 'public place' - that's the point. If it's a college car park, then it's 99% likely to be private land and the RTA wouldn't apply.
The point is that just because the land is privately owned doesn't mean it isn't a 'public place' for the purposes of the RTA. A pub or supermarket car park certainly would be considered so. Whether a college car park is depends on things like restrictions on who can use it. Just to be clear, you can be prosecuted for RTA offences which occur on private land, in certain circumstances.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The point is that just because the land is privately owned doesn't mean it isn't a 'public place' for the purposes of the RTA. A pub or supermarket car park certainly would be considered so. Whether a college car park is depends on things like restrictions on who can use it. Just to be clear, you can be prosecuted for RTA offences which occur on private land, in certain circumstances.
If the car park is private land, which I'm 99% sure it is (I don't know of any carparks integral to a college on college-owned land which wouldn't be defined as such) then the OP cannot be prosecuted for speeding in it, which was his question. There is no 'speed limit' to break. All this RTA stuff is irrelevant to the question the OP asked.

I've already advised the OP to check with the college as to the ownership of the car-park.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If the car park is private land, which I'm 99% sure it is (I don't know of any carparks integral to a college on college-owned land which wouldn't be defined as such) then the OP cannot be prosecuted for speeding in it, which was his question. There is no 'speed limit' to break. All this RTA stuff is irrelevant to the question the OP asked.

I've already advised the OP to check with the college as to the ownership of the car-park.
His actual question regarded points and what could happen - it's unlikely a moped is ever going to get up enough speed with two people on it to be caught speeding. However the RTA may still apply, regardless of the ownership of the land, and I believe carrying a pillion passenger is prohibited by said act. That's the last I have to say on this thread.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
His actual question regarded points and what could happen - it's unlikely a moped is ever going to get up enough speed with two people on it to be caught speeding. However the RTA may still apply, regardless of the ownership of the land, and I believe carrying a pillion passenger is prohibited by said act. That's the last I have to say on this thread.
Perhaps it would help the OP if you could quote the parts of the RTA which you think might apply to him in this situation, rather than flouncing off. I'm sure he'd be grateful for it, given you are the only person on this thread suggesting that the RTA has any relevance to his case.
mphysical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Perhaps it would help the OP if you could quote the parts of the RTA which you think might apply to him in this situation, rather than flouncing off. I'm sure he'd be grateful for it, given you are the only person on this thread suggesting that the RTA has any relevance to his case.
What CurlyBen is pointing out is that a car park where the public have access is not immune from the RTA, even if the land is privately owned.
But private land with no public access you are probably OK.

The public access bit is an important definition under S192 RTA 1988. if a car park is enclosed by a boundary wall and controlled by a barrier say, it is probably private. But if pedestrians have a right of way then probably not. It is a grey area that has come against case law: Clarke v Kato [1998] 1 WLR 1647
South_Coast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What could they do?
Thanks
They could report you to the police. Although I highly doubt they would, unless whoever caught you really wants to be snide.

You wouldn't get points on license unless a police officer issued you fix penalty notice there and then. They could send CCTV footage to the police but I highly doubt they would do that for someone messing around in a car park on a moped. When someone reports you for a driving offence, the police generally note it down and send the registered keeper a warning letter advising you that someone has reported you. I know this because my good friend received one because someone told the police he was speeding on a motorway!
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unless she caught you on video, she has nothing to report.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (54)
28.27%
No (137)
71.73%

Watched Threads