Apprenticeship vs university Watch

mnak
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i know this argument has been arround for years and talked about alot but recently i have been getting confused to a point where im sitting, typing to see what others opinion are.
my friend today and for the past few weeks told me that apprenticeship are far supirior than university, that over their life time they make more money than people in non-russel group uni, which would mean a good 70% of universities. He went on saying about no debt and so and so on.
this particular friend wants to go into accounting through apprenticeship. I on the other hand am starting university (Northumbria university) and am going to do Bsc in mathematics. One of my dreams (career wise) was to be an accountant( it is one of the thing i want to be so dont quote be on this).

So my main question is if apprenticeships are that good, that they overall get paid more, have no debt and so on whats the point of having a degree- im talking jobs which can be done through apprenticeship or by a degree, not including like Donctors and you know.
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)
i know this argument has been arround for years and talked about alot but recently i have been getting confused to a point where im sitting, typing to see what others opinion are.
my friend today and for the past few weeks told me that apprenticeship are far supirior than university, that over their life time they make more money than people in non-russel group uni, which would mean a good 70% of universities. He went on saying about no debt and so and so on.
this particular friend wants to go into accounting through apprenticeship. I on the other hand am starting university (Northumbria university) and am going to do Bsc in mathematics. One of my dreams (career wise) was to be an accountant( it is one of the thing i want to be so dont quote be on this).

So my main question is if apprenticeships are that good, that they overall get paid more, have no debt and so on whats the point of having a degree- im talking jobs which can be done through apprenticeship or by a degree, not including like Donctors and you know.
People go on to do degrees because they are told by society that they will only be worth something if they have gone to university. Which is my nearly everyone and their dog goes to the 200+ universities in the UK to study whatever, and then end up spending their days at the Job Centre when they graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mnak
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonstruck16)
People go on to do degrees because they are told by society that they will only be worth something if they have gone to university. Which is my nearly everyone and their dog goes to the 200+ universities in the UK to study whatever, and then end up spending their days at the Job Centre when they graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what your saying that university is worthless compared to apprenticeship
Moonstruck16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)
So what your saying that university is worthless compared to apprenticeship
No I'm saying it's very overrated.
mnak
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonstruck16)
No I'm saying it's very overrated.
okay.
money wise which one is better, hypothetically working in the same business and the same profession during their entire life time
Used
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For what I'm wanting to do, an apprenticeship would be the best and easiest way to go.
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why some people go to Uni instead of doing an apprenticeship..

> Some apprenticeships are low pay

> Pressure from school and parents saying that University is the only option to be successful

> Some want to experience uni social life and with an apprenticeship that isn't an option.

> People want something to fall back on

> Some people are academically driven and want to learn more about a particular subject discipline.
Moonstruck16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)
okay.
money wise which one is better, hypothetically working in the same business and the same profession during their entire life time
Well you need to balance out how much will be earny against what your debt is.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnak)

Your friend has good arguments indeed. I personally making an apprenticeship to earn money first instead of spending it. Also, I can make experiences in working with a lot of practise. A reason why I prefer this towards a university. I can save a bit money to study later on when I am a bit more independant - and mature.
missedhit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok so university is mainly a great life lesson, especially if you're living away from family and need to depend on yourself for the first time.

University is also a springboard for many jobs. Various roles within the ''major leagues'' require Masters, for example, to get to the next level, more prestige and more money.

Don't forget that there are apprenticeships that include degree studies - you avoid accumulating debt and getting ''boxed'' into a specific career path.

Finally, university gives a lot more flexibility. You may not like accountancy once you're in it every day.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by squirrology)
Why some people go to Uni instead of doing an apprenticeship..

> Some apprenticeships are low pay

> Pressure from school and parents saying that University is the only option to be successful

> Some want to experience uni social life and with an apprenticeship that isn't an option.

> People want something to fall back on

> Some people are academically driven and want to learn more about a particular subject discipline.
Yes, you may be on low pay while you are doing the apprenticeship. You are training at the end of the day. But when you have finished the apprenticeship, you will be on a full wage- you wont be on any less than anyone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.54%
No I haven't decided yet (37)
20.9%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.56%

Watched Threads