How many times should I go to the gym? Watch

ZERØ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

In a couple of days time I am going to sign up for a gym membership as I generally want to gain some muscles and do something during the halfterm instead of being home all day.

Anyway my question is how many times a week should I attend the gym and for how long should each session be?

I want to work on my biceps, upper body and some running.

Thanks,
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would recommend you to train one and a half up to two hours in a gym. Otherwise your efforts tends to for nothing. Just because too much of gaining muscles would lead to atony and the whole training has no effect. Also recommend you to take a break for the day after and going to the gym on next day. Taking a break means your muscles have time to rest and to build themselves up.
username1373182
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I generally do 1 hour at the gym, 5/7 days a week. I don't particularly stick to a routine though. Anymore than an hour and a half is pointless because apparently the body becomes derived of testosterone, so nothing will be happening to the muscles. Or so I've read...

I usually go Mon, Tues, Wed, Thu, Sat (Non-match days) or Sundays if Saturday is a match day.
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ZERO
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abrack)
I generally do 1 hour at the gym, 5/7 days a week. I don't particularly stick to a routine though. Anymore than an hour and a half is pointless because apparently the body becomes derived of testosterone, so nothing will be happening to the muscles. Or so I've read...

I usually go Mon, Tues, Wed, Thu, Sat (Non-match days) or Sundays if Saturday is a match day.
Depends on how often you are training in a week. If someone trains just twice a week, two hours in a gym to gain muscles is okay. Five times a week as in your case would be too much without a doubt, so one hour is sufficient.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on entirely on what routine you're doing. Look at the FAQ for some suggestions
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I go for an hour twice a week then run once a week on top of the gym
Thomazo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"Want to work on my biceps and upper body"

The definition of a noob, you can't neglect the rest of your body.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads