The Student Room Group

Interviewer wants to meet in person to give me feedback. So worried!

I went for a job interview I felt I did quite well in but I got a rejection email. My interviewer replied to my request for feedback by emailing to suggest an in person discussion to go over interview feedback.

I'm a qualified social worker and I've been to many interviews over the years. I've never ever been asked to get feedback in person.

I'm really worried now. Is this a bad sign?
Original post by Mezza362
I went for a job interview I felt I did quite well in but I got a rejection email. My interviewer replied to my request for feedback by emailing to suggest an in person discussion to go over interview feedback.

I'm a qualified social worker and I've been to many interviews over the years. I've never ever been asked to get feedback in person.

He is probably trying the whole "feedback in person" thing as an excuse to purposely set you up to get you to go on a date with him.
Reply 2
It's a heterosexual woman!

I think this is quite unusual - I've received feedback from unsuccessful interviews delivered via both email and telephone, including even arranging specific times for delivery, but I've never heard of it being done in person like this.

I would probably go into this treating it as another interview - so dress and act appropriately. It's another chance to sell yourself to a potential employer - even though you were not successful in obtaining the original job you applied for, they might consider you for other roles (but at the same time, don't get your hopes up about this either).

It's an excellent sign! They are prepared to spend a very precious 30-60 minutes out of their day to give you completely personalised, face-to-face feedback. That's a massive commitment in recruitment terms.

Listen to them very carefully, there will almost certainly be very specific, tailored advice about where to look for other opportunities. You only do this to a candidate if you want to 'keep them warm' ie make sure they know they were wanted and that they keep an eye on other opportunities in the organisation (or they direct you to a similar organisation that is recruiting. You simply don't waste precious time doing this routinely or with a 'whateva' candidate.

Offer to pay for coffee if you are off-site, and dress and act as if at interview.
Reply 5
Yikes! Dress as if it's an interview? Really?

I was planning to go in ankle boots and a dress. I thought it was an informal visit to get feedback.
Yikes! Dress as if it's an interview? Really?

I was planning to go in ankle boots and a dress. I thought it was an informal visit to get feedback.

Nothing is informal until you've received your first pay cheque! Better still, until your probation is finished.
I wouldn't say it was a bad sign.It does seem to be an unusual way of giving feedback to someone as these are usually done via email or over the phone.
Original post by Smack
I think this is quite unusual - I've received feedback from unsuccessful interviews delivered via both email and telephone, including even arranging specific times for delivery, but I've never heard of it being done in person like this.

I would probably go into this treating it as another interview - so dress and act appropriately. It's another chance to sell yourself to a potential employer - even though you were not successful in obtaining the original job you applied for, they might consider you for other roles (but at the same time, don't get your hopes up about this either).

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending