anneuni
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone.

I'm currently at Bristol university studying law as a postgrad. However, before I started my undergrad, I homeschooled and didn't complete the A level exams as there were some technical problems with registering as a private candidate. I'm using this break from my PG study to complete 3 A levels by the November session this year, as the break in my education is hampering job applications, and I feel like I have a gap in my education, despite being in PG study.

I want to pick three A levels from this list: Economics, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, English Language, Psychology, Business. I don't intend to do more than 3, and would definitely like to include Economics as it might be most useful to me. I have about 6 months before the November exams. (edit: I'm doing the exams overseas with the CIE board. They have a November session )

I got an A in GCSE Maths, and Bs in Biology and Chemistry. However, this was back in 2009, and I don't remember much of what I studied. I'm a fast learner, and might get a tutor for science/maths. I was wondering how doable getting As would be, and whether it's too much of a stretch to do science and maths subjects in 6 months? I'd appreciate any thoughts on studying any of those subjects independently. Thanks everyone!
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anneuni)
Hi everyone.

I'm currently at Bristol university studying law as a postgrad. However, before I started my undergrad, I homeschooled and didn't complete the A level exams as there were some technical problems with registering as a private candidate. I'm using this break from my PG study to complete 3 A levels by the November session this year, as the break in my education is hampering job applications, and I feel like I have a gap in my education, despite being in PG study.

I want to pick three A levels from this list: Economics, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, English Language, Psychology, Business. I don't intend to do more than 3, and would definitely like to include Economics as it might be most useful to me. I have about 6 months before the November exams.

I got an A in GCSE Maths, and Bs in Biology and Chemistry. However, this was back in 2009, and I don't remember much of what I studied. I'm a fast learner, and might get a tutor for science/maths. I was wondering how doable getting As would be, and whether it's too much of a stretch to do science and maths subjects in 6 months? I'd appreciate any thoughts on studying any of those subjects independently. Thanks everyone!
November exams? If you're in the UK then A-level exams are only held in the summer (May/June)

The good thing is, if you decide to go ahead and study A-levels now then you could do all your exams next summer so you'll have over a year to start learning if you start now!
anneuni
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Philip-flop)
November exams? If you're in the UK then A-level exams are only held in the summer (May/June)

The good thing is, if you decide to go ahead and study A-levels now then you could do all your exams next summer so you'll have over a year to start learning if you start now!
Oh I'm studying overseas as a private candidate doing the CIE board. The exams will be in November this year, so 6 months from now. I'll be back in the UK to complete my degree early in 2018. Wish it were possible to do them in summer though!!
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anneuni)
Oh I'm studying overseas as a private candidate doing the CIE board. The exams will be in November this year, so 6 months from now. I'll be back in the UK to complete my degree early in 2018. Wish it were possible to do them in summer though!!
Oh I see. I assumed when you said "currently at Bristol University" you meant you are currently living in the UK. What are you doing oversees? It will be very difficult to study for 3 full A-levels in 6 months but not impossible!! If you start studying now that would actually give you 7 months to study, which is even better! But you will need to act upon this quickly. Maybe buy some textbooks first and see how quickly it takes you to learn some of the content
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
anneuni Also I wouldn't recommend doing the subjects which have a lot of content to cover (e.g. Biology and Psychology) considering the short amount of time that you have. But again, it's not impossible for you to do well as long as you are strict with your studies over the next 7 months or so!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (76)
27.84%
England (92)
33.7%
Belgium (23)
8.42%
Germany (35)
12.82%
Spain (3)
1.1%