Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What do you hate about modern life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hate just about most things from the media to the fashion to the overall lifestyle. I wish it was the 1970s.

Discuss...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfie Smith)
    I hate just about most things from the media to the fashion to the overall lifestyle. I wish it was the 1970s.

Discuss...
    Surrounded by crappy tech that is stealing our lives and jobs!

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy most technology, ne and my partner both have busy jobs and in the 70s wouldn't have seen each other for a week at a time. mobiles, internet, ps4 all hepp us connect. i dislikethe effects social media are having on the younger generation though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong, I like my technology. But I think it is super sad seeing people so engrossed on their phones. Like especially on public transport and stuff.
    I was walking home yesterday and a guy walked into me because he was too busy looking at his phone instead of his surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    That Google can make your anxiety 100000000 worse. Its so easy to find information now which is amazing and so helpful but when you have anxiety, lets face it, we often use Google to look up things like health worries which we tell ourselves will calm us down but instead, it only fuels our anxiety to a whole new level and we start to trust a search engine more than our actual doctors who have trained for years, can examine us physically and have our interests at heart.

ReputationRep:
    maybe its just me but I like modern life atm, people are more free than before (maybe even too free) and tech is amazing, science breakthroughs keep happening and wifi is getting quicker overall so no complaints !

ReputationRep:
    everything was fine until 2012 not gonna lie

ReputationRep:
    The modern job market.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heptapus)
    Don't get me wrong, I like my technology. But I think it is super sad seeing people so engrossed on their phones. Like especially on public transport and stuff.
    I was walking home yesterday and a guy walked into me because he was too busy looking at his phone instead of his surroundings.
    Totally agree. It's actually quite sad when you go to restaurants or bars and you see people just sat on their phones instead of conversing with each other.

ReputationRep:
    It's the drinking culture I hate the most. Seems like people won't do anything if it doesn't involve alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is the first era where it is unlikely that we will die from a communicable disease. We have access to ample nutrition and will likely never know true hunger.

Yet the response to this for many of us is to sit on our backsides in front of a TV and shovel food down our throats to make ourselves ill.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone mentioned Trump yet? Also Danielle Bregoli, Kim K and media in general. Now you get famous by"breaking the internet"not actually having any value as a person.Those 10y/os who try to act like some 16, 17 y/o queen be as well. Make it stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    This is the first era where it is unlikely that we will die from a communicable disease. We have access to ample nutrition and will likely never know true hunger.

Yet the response to this for many of us is to sit on our backsides in front of a TV and shovel food down our throats to make ourselves ill.
    I bet most people die of obesity, diabetes or mental health since people are so cruel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heptapus)
    Your profile picture is so cute! Also yeah people now basically live in a virtual reality.I wonder how long until Matrix or Surrogates becomes real.😑

ReputationRep:
    I dislike the emerging cultural tendency to treat victimhood as a virtue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I dislike the emerging cultural tendency to treat victimhood as a virtue.
    Could you elaborate? I'm interested to know what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Could you elaborate? I'm interested to know what you mean.
    I think it can be seen in a lot of forms, but generally the pattern is of someone who is seen to be the victim of some systemic oppression being treated as having greater rights as a result. Ironically, it's seen more often in cultures where systemic oppression is the most absent, for example on university campuses.

Examples include seeking to be offended by things because taking offence communicates that one holds a greater level of nuance and sensitivity towards social injustice, which is a trait valued in left-leaning circles. Another example would be disregarding safety concerns of immigration as racism because immigrants have been oppressed. Another example might be giving extra weight and consideration to a person's views because they're seen as a minority, or in some cases are a descendent of a historically oppressed group.

Essentially, I'm talking about failures to honestly appraise a situation due to sensitivity clouding one's judgement. Sensitivity towards victims is of course right and proper, but some people do appear to be getting carried away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I think it can be seen in a lot of forms, but generally the pattern is of someone who is seen to be the victim of some systemic oppression being treated as having greater rights as a result. Ironically, it's seen more often in cultures where systemic oppression is the most absent, for example on university campuses.

Examples include seeking to be offended by things because taking offence communicates that one holds a greater level of nuance and sensitivity towards social injustice, which is a trait valued in left-leaning circles. Another example would be disregarding safety concerns of immigration as racism because immigrants have been oppressed. Another example might be giving extra weight and consideration to a person's views because they're seen as a minority, or in some cases are a descendent of a historically oppressed group.

Essentially, I'm talking about failures to honestly appraise a situation due to sensitivity clouding one's judgement. Sensitivity towards victims is of course right and proper, but some people do appear to be getting carried away.
    I agree 100%. Thanks for clarifying.

ReputationRep:
    Cons of modern life:

i) Donald Trump, Kim K, etc.

ii) People using so much tech that they're losing contact with reality.

iii) The amount of money and food people are wasting away.

vi) The amount of smokers and drunk people around nowadays.

People really should pay attention to their health and lifestyle.
    Oh, and not even mentioning global warming and pollution.

Even I disgust myself sometimes.

Poll
Should schools shut at lunch to save money?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.