The Student Room Group

National 5 physics 2016-2017

Hi!! If anyone wants to use this space for questions or revision then feel free!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhysicsGirlA
Hi!! If anyone wants to use this space for questions or revision then feel free!

Hi there, just wanted to ask if anyone had any good tips for ensuring an A in National five Physics. Is there certain past papers that I should complete, or has anyone got any good resources that I could use, as for my other subjects I have been using scholar, but they don't have a section for Nat5 Physics. I have tried making flash cards and general revision materials, but i'm not sure if its as effective as I'd hoped. Any help is appreciated :smile:))
I read/understand all my notes then just do pastpapers mrmackenzie.co.uk/category/national-5/ have some revision stuff and pastpapers(intermediates ones too) as i mentioned from my other thread 2017 nat5 physics, use bitesize for support on your understand and do those little quizes
Thanks a lot, I'll definitely try this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got a copy of the paper yet? :smile: :smile:
That's why I'm asking :smile:
No-one needs to know. Their encryption isn't as good as the pyramid's and they got hacked pretty easily.
Okay thanks I'll do the specimen then! Does anyone have any predictions of questions, I know it's a big paper, but I need to get a grade for my uni offer and so need all the info I can get.
Original post by Misshussain23
Okay thanks I'll do the specimen then! Does anyone have any predictions of questions, I know it's a big paper, but I need to get a grade for my uni offer and so need all the info I can get.

I can facebook or skype you if you have any questions, would be good revision for me too.
I'll let you know if I have any questions! Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Misshussain23
I'll let you know if I have any questions! Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK but I'll be going to stop using my devices in a few hours so I can focus on revision, if you need help you can contact me before then.
Use the formula V=IR, then I=V/R.
Remember the mains voltage is 230V (you don't get told that).

Substitute the values in I=V/R for each of the resistor values to find which has the smallest current.

E.g. I=230/5 = 46 A (Amps)

and I=230/100 = 2.3 A

So I would say the resistor with the smallest current is 100 Ohms.
I think they might not even put it online anywhere. Maybe they only use pendrives and send the pendrives via secure 1st class post to the printers and other people involved.
Can you explain why?
Some of the multiple choice questions are really difficult and take long calculations, my teacher said the best advice is to just guess the answer for them, since they're only worth 1 mark it's best if you focus on the other questions which give marks.

If you want an A you will only need 56 marks in total in the exam (if you scored at least 14 marks in the assignment) so guessing a few questions in the multiple choice if your low on time is best.

Remember you can write as much as you like on the multiple choice question sheet for your calculations or notes etc., you can even take the multiple choice questions home with you so it is wise to use the space you're given since doing the problem solving in your head is difficult.
Where did you get that question? There might be a video covering it.
The answer is 50 because resistance is the opposition to the current. When the current is passing through the circuit, majority of it will flow through the 5 ohm resistor since the resistance is lower. It wouldn't be 100 since all of the current has to flow through it and it cant be 20 or 10 as they are both lower than 50.
Hope this helps
Original post by AstroStudent101
Can you explain why?

In series, the x current (calling it x because its unknown) will be the same at each point so we can dismiss the 100ohms resistor. x current splits when it encounters a parallel point in the circuit. The highest resistor in the parallel point is 50 where current will be lowest because a resistor limits current. The current wont be as low in the other parallel points because 20 and 10 isnt as high a value as the 50ohms resistor.

There is no calculation involved.

By the way I'm sitting higher and have already done this course. Please do ask if you have anymore questions.
Original post by mcgee5608
The answer is 50 because resistance is the opposition to the current. When the current is passing through the circuit, majority of it will flow through the 5 ohm resistor since the resistance is lower. It wouldn't be 100 since all of the current has to flow through it and it cant be 20 or 10 as they are both lower than 50.
Hope this helps

How do you know the direction of the current flow? The battery looks more complicated than it usually looks.
Original post by Fermion.
In series, the x current (calling it x because its unknown) will be the same at each point so we can dismiss the 100ohms resistor. x current splits when it encounters a parallel point in the circuit. The highest resistor in the parallel point is 50 where current will be lowest because a resistor limits current. The current wont be as low in the other parallel points because 20 and 10 isnt as high a value as the 50ohms resistor.

There is no calculation involved.

By the way I'm sitting higher and have already done this course. Please do ask if you have anymore questions.

Good luck on your exam. I don't have time to ask questions at them moment.
If I find anything I will let you know but I don't want to keep you from your own revision.

Quick Reply

Latest