The Student Room Group

Enough Work Experience??

I am currently taking AS levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Computing) and have recently started to gain work experience. I have read the relavent forum post, finding it amazing and really helpful. However I have a couple Questions:

I have already secured
- 2+ of large animals including Highland cattle and shetland sheep. In which i got to have a go at shearing, watch a cow cesarean, help prep them for 3 County level Shows, and a range of management task (worming vaccinating etc)
- A night at commercial lambing (650 sheep to lamb in total) can't remember how many exactly i got to experience

Should i try and get some work experience in Dairy ?

And have planned
- 2 weeks at 2 different equine clinics
- 1 week at small animal clinic
- 2 weeks at a zoo
- 1 week at a professional equine breeder
- I have owned a pony for the past 6 year and am a keen equestrian ( i know this doesn't count as its at home, but just a little more info about me )

Is there anything else i really need to get ?

Previously i completed a week at a small animal vets and a week at a riding school, for my Yr 10 work experience. As well as two summers at a different riding school during Yr9/10

Do theses still count for some Universities?
As i know RVC requires it in an 18month period.

At GCSE i managed to get 2A* 4A 6B ,a C in English literature and a B in English Language( A/A*'s in maths and science). I didn't take a language at GCSE, however i did take an FCSE in French which i passed with a distinction.

Is this C(Eng literature) B(Eng Language) going to be a problem at all ?
Is not having a language going to be a big disadvantage?

Thanks to anybody who has taken the time to read this and reply, i really appricate it and will be a great help to my future.

Many thanks
Megan
(edited 7 years ago)
That is certainly a solid start to work experience with a big focus on equine work!
Your application could be strengthened with more small animal work experience in both companion animal practices and husbandry environments, such as a kennels or animal shelter. Dairy work experience would be very helpful if you could manage to get some as could placements in an abattoir or laboratory (though from personal experience these can be tricky to get but worthwhile when you do).

You still have until October to gain work experience and even then on most work experience forms you can list future planned placements so to consider a gap year would be a little early at this stage?

GCSE grades are not really taken into too much consideration provided you meet the minimum requirements (likely excluding Cambridge) Most minimum requirements are A's in english (language), maths and 3 sciences.
Reply 2
Original post by VMD100
That is certainly a solid start to work experience with a big focus on equine work!
Your application could be strengthened with more small animal work experience in both companion animal practices and husbandry environments, such as a kennels or animal shelter. Dairy work experience would be very helpful if you could manage to get some as could placements in an abattoir or laboratory (though from personal experience these can be tricky to get but worthwhile when you do).

You still have until October to gain work experience and even then on most work experience forms you can list future planned placements so to consider a gap year would be a little early at this stage?

GCSE grades are not really taken into too much consideration provided you meet the minimum requirements (likely excluding Cambridge) Most minimum requirements are A's in english (language), maths and 3 sciences.

Thank you so much, i will aim to get some work experience at my local kennel around some other small animals and see if theres any local labs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending