how to structure an A-level government and politics essay?

Watch
isabella_cecere
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I'm doing A-level gov and pol, in really starting to panic because my exams are a short time away and I have no idea how to structure a essay and where to put the information in to get the marks. Can anyone help ?
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends on the question. I'm with AQA (which I'll assume you are too) and I don't know if you mean AS or A2 so I'll try with both.

AS consists of 5, 10, and 25 mark questions. The 5 markers are basically definitions with an example thrown in. You should be aiming to write a decent paragraph (maybe half a page?) with an example to back up what you're explaining.

The 10 markers are mini essays. They are usually made up of a small introduction, two main paragraphs, and a small conclusion. Aim for about a page or a page and a half for this one and again, amke sure to incluce examples to either back up or contradict your point (both if possible).

The 25 markers are just big debates. They are usually a statement which you have to argue for and against. They are sneaky with the wording so it's things like "to what extent are referendums a form of direct democracy?" so you have to discuss both sides of an arguement. Aim for 2 large paragraphs on one side of the arguement, and one contradicting, alongside an introduction and conclusion. Include as many examples as you can.

A2 consists of 10 and 30 mark questions. The 10 markers are pretty much the same as the AS. The 30 markers are like the 25s but more detail is needed and more analysis.

Remember your A01, 02, and 03.
A01 - content and knowledge
A02 - analysis (the easiest way to do this is to say "this is how it should be in theory, but in practice, it looks more like this")
A03 - spelling, punctuation, grammar, key terminology
isabella_cecere
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you !!! Im doing AQA AS gov and pol and my teacher never really went into depth about the structure of an essay. i have past papers with me now which im about to start. Thank you this has helped so much !!!!!!
Skyrim
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by greghayes)
It depends on the question. I'm with AQA (which I'll assume you are too) and I don't know if you mean AS or A2 so I'll try with both.

AS consists of 5, 10, and 25 mark questions. The 5 markers are basically definitions with an example thrown in. You should be aiming to write a decent paragraph (maybe half a page?) with an example to back up what you're explaining.

The 10 markers are mini essays. They are usually made up of a small introduction, two main paragraphs, and a small conclusion. Aim for about a page or a page and a half for this one and again, amke sure to incluce examples to either back up or contradict your point (both if possible).

The 25 markers are just big debates. They are usually a statement which you have to argue for and against. They are sneaky with the wording so it's things like "to what extent are referendums a form of direct democracy?" so you have to discuss both sides of an arguement. Aim for 2 large paragraphs on one side of the arguement, and one contradicting, alongside an introduction and conclusion. Include as many examples as you can.

A2 consists of 10 and 30 mark questions. The 10 markers are pretty much the same as the AS. The 30 markers are like the 25s but more detail is needed and more analysis.

Remember your A01, 02, and 03.
A01 - content and knowledge
A02 - analysis (the easiest way to do this is to say "this is how it should be in theory, but in practice, it looks more like this"
A03 - spelling, punctuation, grammar, key terminology
Does anyone know how much of this applies to edexcel?
jonedy03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You want to follow this structure and include 2 factors of evaluation:
Intro (define key words, give context, state your argument)
Paragraph 1: 1st factor
Point: "In support of my argument..."
Evidence: "This can be seen in…"
Explain: "This example shows that..."
Counter point: "On the other hand, one may believe..."
Counter evidence: "This view can be exemplified by..."
Counter explanation: "Here we can see that..."
/
Mini-conclusion: "Judging by this argument I can conclude that...
/
*Repeat P1 but for a different factor of evaluation*
/
Conclusion (reiterate your view, weigh up the factors against each other, state the most important factor in deciding your opinion)
-A factor of evaluation is any factor that can be used to evaluate the extent to which a certain statement is true. For example, for this 30 mark question "To what extent does the prime minister control government policy?" I used the extent to which they had power in relation to their Cabinet, and the extent to which they had power in Parliament. These two factors

(Original post by Skyrim)
Does anyone know how much of this applies to edexcel?
Kardiakoter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thabk you so much my exam is tomorrow you dk how much this helped 😭
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (136)
24.55%
Live streaming events (47)
8.48%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.39%
A uni comparison tool (129)
23.29%
An in-person event when available (124)
22.38%