Minimum wage too low Watch

Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Apparently the living wage is 7.50 GBP so if you work 8 hours 5 days a week the pay per week is 300GBP and 1200 GBP before tax and 14400 GBP per year before tax now after tax it is:
11520 GBP per year (tax being 20%)
960 GBP per month
192 GBP per week
6GBP per hour after tax

Now this is very low especially for London living.Apparently the minimum wage gives a minimum acceptable wage now that is easy to say for politicians but I just don't see how anyone can survive with such a low wage.For that sort of wage you would get a box room,food,travel pay and basics to survive.But barely any money left to save or spend how you would like.It is easy for politicians to set such low wages and call it acceptable yet they are probably living a fairly comfortable life I would love to see how they would make ends meet with such a small salary.
I have been fairly privileged and never experienced a life on a minimum wage but it does not mean that I think anyone should have such a low wage.

Another thing which outrages me is that the minimum wage is different for certain ages what gives someone the right to pay someone more for the same amount of work just because they are older.Also what gives someone that right to say that if you are younger you do not need as much money.If I work as hard and as long as someone else we deserve equal pay no matter the age or gender.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
Apparently the living wage is 7.50 GBP so if you work 8 hours 5 days a week the pay per week is 300GBP and 1200 GBP before tax and 14400 GBP per year before tax now after tax it is:
960 GBP per month
192 GBP per week
6GBP per hour after tax

Now this is very low especially for London living.Apparently the minimum wage gives a minimum acceptable wage now that is easy to say for politicians but I just don't see how anyone can survive with such a low wage.For that sort of wage you would get a box room,food,travel pay and basics to survive.But barely any money left to save or spend how you would like.It is easy for politicians to set such low wages and call it acceptable yet they are probably living a fairly comfortable life I would love to see how they would make ends meet with such a small salary.
I have been fairly privileged and never experienced a life on a minimum wage but it does not mean that I think anyone should have such a low wage.

Another thing which outrages me is that the minimum wage is different for certain ages what gives someone the right to pay someone more for the same amount of work just because they are older.Also what gives someone that right to say that if you are younger you do not need as much money.If I work as hard and as long as someone else we deserve equal pay no matter the age or gender.
Tax is not applied like that. It's only applied to brackets, I can't remember the exact numbers but no tax is applied to your first 10-11k, known as your tax free allowance...

Interesting point about different pay for 15-18 year olds as wel, I guess they are allowed to work different amounts of hours as well so..

You're righ, a minimum wage job won't get you far but you have to spend and save carefully perhaps with the support of parents or a partner and look to expand your prospects if possible.
SG118
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your absolutely right, my dad has been working ever since he was 14, (im not even lying, its the whole point of me getting a job so that he can relax), he gets payed around £300 a week and works from 8am to 6pm, he doesn't get paid in holidays and he gets around £14400 a year without tax, the local mp (for labour) said that if he became mayor he would raise the minimum wage to £8.50. I think
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SG118)
Your absolutely right, my dad has been working ever since he was 14, (im not even lying, its the whole point of me getting a job so that he can relax), he gets payed around £300 a week and works from 8am to 6pm, he doesn't get paid in holidays and he gets around £14400 a year without tax, the local mp (for labour) said that if he became mayor he would raise the minimum wage to £8.50. I think
Suggest he gets a better job?
Like at a bar serving beer being paid the living wage.
Or does he like his job too much?
CraigBackner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
who cares about the minimum wage its not like you would be working for i
natninja
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
960 GBP per month
192 GBP per week
6GBP per hour after tax

Still very low but that is £12,939.20 after tax and NI without any other reliefs. This works out at £6.22 per hour. This is more than min wage was four years ago before any deductions (£6.20/hour). Still should be higher I think. I believe London living wage is £9.20 per hour which is what minimum wage is due to increase to at some point in 2018 I believe.
Whiskey&Freedom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Minimum wage is far too high. It artificially inflates the wages of low skill, low value individuals who deserve a lot less. Minimum wage should be scrapped. Let the free market decide.

Rather than complaining about low wages, take responsibility and do something about it. Work hard. Offer employers valuable skills. Or look to Donald Trump for inspiration. Set up your own business and become a wealth creator.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
Minimum wage is far too high. It artificially inflates the wages of low skill, low value individuals who deserve a lot less. Minimum wage should be scrapped. Let the free market decide.

Rather than complaining about low wages, take responsibility and do something about it. Work hard. Offer employers valuable skills. Or look to Donald Trump for inspiration. Set up your own business and become a wealth creator.
Not really. The market is still deciding to employ them, the work is still worth the cost.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Or look to Donald Trump for inspiration.
You must be joking. He started with a 'small loan' of $1M (way back). He's been bankrupt, and still is morally.
joe cooley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great idea minimum wage...

Even better when you ensure a never ending supply of cheap labour to make sure millions never rise above it.
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You sound like an idiot, someone has to do the bottom jobs, or they would get richer! Why should someone even consider doing those jobs if they will be homeless? It sounds pathetic.
ZuluArmy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
960 GBP per month
192 GBP per week
6GBP per hour after tax

Just to help you with your numbers

7.50 (NLW 1/04/2017) *40hrs= £300 per week gross pay
PAYE- 11509 (The tax office actually give you an extra £9 a year on top of the publicised 11500) /52 =221.33 (Threshold)
NI= 8164 per year or £157 a week

So
NI Deduction at 12% (of £143) = £17.16
PAYE at 20% (78.67 after threshold)= £15.73 (This may differ by around 20 p a week)

300 (Gross pay) - £17.16 (National Insurance)-£15.73 = £267.11

over the course of a year
Gross pay 15600
National Insurance paid 892.32
PAYE Paid 818.20
Net Pay 13889 Per year

Thats pretty decent

I will work my own out and publicise it later
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Donald Trumo came from a wealthy family and was given a million dollars by his dad so probably not the best example.

I'd be inclined to agreee though too an extent. I think there should be a minimum wage but they should be taken out of paying Tax a,though that should come with a plethora of other measures such as a Universal Income and essentially privatising the NHS European style.
ZuluArmy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Donald Trumo came from a wealthy family and was given a million dollars by his dad so probably not the best example.

I'd be inclined to agreee though too an extent. I think there should be a minimum wage but they should be taken out of paying Tax a,though that should come with a plethora of other measures such as a Universal Income and essentially privatising the NHS European style.
Not everyone can have small loan of a million dollars.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ZuluArmy)
Not everyone can have small loan of a million dollars.
Hence my point about it not being a good example...
nymphielymphie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
7.20/hour is not enough to live on.

7.20 - or even 7.50 - is good for when you're doing a part-time job stocking shelves or absent-mindedly scanning things. It requires minimal effort.
But a trained barista or an experienced waiter, those are jobs worth at least 8.00/hour, and that's what's needed if you have a family or a house you're paying off, when you are generally independent.
Oh, but why should we pay this 25 year old 7.50 when we can get an 18 year old to do it for 5.55?

The minimum wage is being misused. The idea is great but the execution is poor.
ZuluArmy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nymphielymphie)
7.20/hour is not enough to live on.

7.20 - or even 7.50 - is good for when you're doing a part-time job stocking shelves or absent-mindedly scanning things. It requires minimal effort.
But a trained barista or an experienced waiter, those are jobs worth at least 8.00/hour, and that's what's needed if you have a family or a house you're paying off, when you are generally independent.
Oh, but why should we pay this 25 year old 7.50 when we can get an 18 year old to do it for 5.55?

The minimum wage is being misused. The idea is great but the execution is poor.
Its potentially exploitable, if companies so wish to - the problem is if you make a flat rate minimum wage it will mare youth unemployment higher, one because they have very basic skills and very little experience to warrant such pay, 2 if you can get someone with experience for the same minimum wage bracket you wil, go for the experienced candidate.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
960 GBP per month
192 GBP per week
6GBP per hour after tax

As Zulu Army points out the tax threshold is ~£11500 and the tax rate actually 32%. The minimum wage is set at a level to appease the left and make the relative poverty figures look good, it does not take into account London being more expensive than Newcastle.

It is however sufficient, especially if you have two bedroom place outside London. My own costs (living alone) are..

Rent: £305
Water: £40
Electricity: £30
Broadband: £30
Mobile: £15
Council Tax: £15 (somebody on minimum wage would get discount)
Food+Toiletries: £100
Travel: £120
TV license: £15

This all comes to £670 leaving ~£300 to do as one pleases if they live a mildly frugal existence

*Note that i don't oppose increasing the minimum wage, i just don't think the cost of living should be a factor in it. It should be set at the level in which the distortion to employment growth is considered acceptable.

(Original post by SG118)
Even if your MP becomes Mayor he does not have the power to raise the minimum wage, that is set by central government. At best he could pay people in the public sector that wage however his budgets will be cut at the same time so you'd be cutting services deeper to increase public sector wages. Probably not a point he wants to make on his campaign trail.
nymphielymphie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ZuluArmy)
Its potentially exploitable, if companies so wish to - the problem is if you make a flat rate minimum wage it will mare youth unemployment higher, one because they have very basic skills and very little experience to warrant such pay, 2 if you can get someone with experience for the same minimum wage bracket you wil, go for the experienced candidate.
Yes, but if say you have two employees doing the same entry-level, sales assistant job and:

Person A is 27, hasn't got much education except Ds in English and Maths, and it is their first job working as a sales assistant.
Person B is 20, has a good set of BBB A-Levels or is at a good uni, and they have previous part-time experience of working in a shop.

Person A will be paid 7.50 while Person B will be paid 5.55. Even though I would argue that Person B's labour is worth more as they are more experienced and better educated.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You must be joking. He started with a 'small loan' of $1M (way back). He's been bankrupt, and still is morally.
Beautifully done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (95)
14.82%
Yes - a food allergy (68)
10.61%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.5%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (17)
2.65%
No (445)
69.42%

Watched Threads