Minimum wage too low Watch

username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by paul514)
Whilst your ideals aren't bad they lack the knowledge of why things are so bad and why putting up the minimum wage will just make things worse.

Also your maths are wrong at the start

Posted from TSR Mobile
There have been a whole host of studies conducted on whether the minimum wage increases unemployment and there hasn't been any which prove or even strongly suggest that it does.

The vast majority find very litttle effect on employment from raising the minimum wage.

Obviously the minimum wage needs to be increased at a sensible rate but there simply isn't the evidence to suggest it does more harm than good.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zayn008)
I was getting £7.90 per hour on my first job and it was just a cashier at Waitrose… I was only 17 as well. I was in shock when I found out people my age work below £7/hr. I was due a pay rise before I left, sadly I couldn't stay on because it was getting in the way of education. Good for the CV tho I think… not sure if 2 months in a job is good or bad thing?
It's CV worthy. Especially because you were doing the job whilst still in education.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As somebody who used to oppose the minimum wage and actually bothers to read economic studies I can tell you that the evidence for direct increases in unemployment is very weak and that a number of labour market factors outweigh it.

Where there may be limited evidence is in employment growth (the raw number of future jobs created) however since the UK creates 700,000+ jobs with population growth of 400,000 I don't consider current minimum wage increases to be anything other than good.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
It's CV worthy. Especially because you were doing the job whilst still in education.
Thanks! I've been wondering for ages if shows I'm quitter or shows I have experience… but I gusss if they know I was in education and had to travel quite a bit, they might see it as a good experience
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Exactly. I'm 23 so get £7.05 an hour (which changed from £6.95) on the 1st of April but my job (waitress, bar staff) is very stressful and I'm constantly rushing around, never off my feet - I worked a 10 hour shift Friday with no breaks and was so shattered the next day I couldn't do anything apart from lie down. I could be sat down, mindlessly scanning things on a checkout in Tesco for the same (or even more) money. I agree that the minimum wage is a great idea to ensure employees get paid at least a set amount but it's annoying when you work so hard for so little. Although, as a side note, I do get tips so it's not all bad.

10 hour shift with no break sounds illegal, complain about it to your manager ..or find a new job

Most jobs I've worked have required me to be on my feet for long periods of time, I have disliked it ...and often take extended breaks/unofficial breaks

most managers didn't like this however, one didn't mind ..he was cool

Honestly though, 10 hour shifts on your feet all day sounds barbaric.......

when you factor in, travel time to and from work, travel fares, recovery time needed ...you've actually wasted like 20 hours on work but have been paid for 10
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ANM775)
10 hour shift with no break sounds illegal, complain about it to your manager ..or find a new job

Most jobs I've worked have required me to be on my feet for long periods of time, I have disliked it ...and often take extended breaks/unofficial breaks

most managers didn't like this however, one didn't mind ..he was cool

Honestly though, 10 hour shifts on your feet all day sounds barbaric.......

when you factor in, travel time to and from work, travel fares, recovery time needed ...you've actually wasted like 20 hours on work but have been paid for 10
Yeah, exactly. I've done 15 hour shifts before too, also had to cover when my manager was on holiday (so basically me and another girl running the clubhouse between us) which meant both of us working long shifts every day and it was so bad my feet bled and I couldn't walk without being in pain all whilst being on minimum wage, never doing that again!

Luckily I only live a 20 minute walk away from work but yeah, it completely wrecks the next day if I do a long, hectic shift
The Good Doctor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
This shouldn't be about "get a better job". It should be about basic dignity. When a person works full time (no matter how skilled that job is) and still struggles to make ends meet, it is symptomatic of an economy that is a rip off and happy to endorse slave labour. The UK is one of the richest countries in the world and it is bloody shameful that people are living this way when it absolutely doesn't have to be the case!
It's not difficult to make ends meet on minimum wage, working 8 hours a day. Do your food shopping at Aldi or Lidl. Avoid branded foods. Only eat out occasionally or not at all. And if you do, don't go to expensive places. Limit alcohol intake. Even better, don't drink. Rent a relatively cheap room instead of a flat or whole house. And you can easily make ends meet with some left over. If a person struggles to make ends meet in this country, that means they made financially bad decisions..
dontcallmesammy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I emailed my MP about an 18 year old being paid less than a 25 year old for the same work, and his response was basically "so what,18 yr olds don't need as much money". So I asked him what was in place to offer discounts on energy, food, rent, council tax etc for 18 year olds who are forced to leave home. No reply.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The Good Doctor)
It's not difficult to make ends meet on minimum wage, working 8 hours a day. Do your food shopping at Aldi or Lidl. Avoid branded foods. Only eat out occasionally or not at all. And if you do, don't go to expensive places. Limit alcohol intake. Even better, don't drink. Rent a relatively cheap room instead of a flat or whole house. And you can easily make ends meet with some left over. If a person struggles to make ends meet in this country, that means they made financially bad decisions..

closest Aldi/Lidl is more than 20 miles away and your looking at 90mins+ on bus/train if you don't drive, a room could easily cost 300-350 a month, add to that costs of getting to/from work, bills and other basics and your not left a great deal out of minimum wage, especially if you are part time.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's manageable if you live outside of London and the South East.
The Good Doctor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)

closest Aldi/Lidl is more than 20 miles away and your looking at 90mins+ on bus/train if you don't drive, a room could easily cost 300-350 a month, add to that costs of getting to/from work, bills and other basics and your not left a great deal out of minimum wage, especially if you are part time.
Shopping at Aldi/Lidl is not mandatory. Its a bit cheaper than tesco or ASDA, so it'll help a bit, but they are still acceptable. Just don't do all your food shopping at a convenience store like Londis and/or eat out all the time, because you will just be unnecessarily pissing away all of your money.

A room could easily cost 300-350 a month but you can get cheaper, believe me. You think you are somehow morally entitled to a room with a minimum value of 300 a month? Even if I grant that, 300 a month is only 3600 a year. Food bills needn't exceed £3000 a year. If you are careful and you cook for yourself most nights, it can be significantly less, even if you are like me and you have a big appetite. Bills needn't be that much, especially if you actively make an effort to reduce your water and electricity consumption and you are in a shared house or flat and you split them with your fellow tenants. A year's bus pass only costs a few hundred. There's your public transport sorted. This leaves plenty of money left to play with or save, even if you were spending like a thousand on public transport each year.

Especially if you are part time? You know how to solve that? Work full time! You think you should be entitled to a nice wage which allows plenty of luxuries if you only work part time? Think again. If you want to go part time to expand your education or whatever, then work full time for a while to save up for it.
Sophie_louise97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
Minimum wage is far too high. It artificially inflates the wages of low skill, low value individuals who deserve a lot less. Minimum wage should be scrapped. Let the free market decide.

Rather than complaining about low wages, take responsibility and do something about it. Work hard. Offer employers valuable skills. Or look to Donald Trump for inspiration. Set up your own business and become a wealth creator.
OK Machievelli.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
Minimum wage is far too high. It artificially inflates the wages of low skill, low value individuals who deserve a lot less. Minimum wage should be scrapped. Let the free market decide.

Rather than complaining about low wages, take responsibility and do something about it. Work hard. Offer employers valuable skills. Or look to Donald Trump for inspiration. Set up your own business and become a wealth creator.
I am not affected by this problem my parents have very good jobs but it does not mean i don not care about those less fortunate.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Good Doctor)
Shopping at Aldi/Lidl is not mandatory. Its a bit cheaper than tesco or ASDA, so it'll help a bit, but they are still acceptable. Just don't do all your food shopping at a convenience store like Londis and/or eat out all the time, because you will just be unnecessarily pissing away all of your money.

A room could easily cost 300-350 a month but you can get cheaper, believe me. You think you are somehow morally entitled to a room with a minimum value of 300 a month? Even if I grant that, 300 a month is only 3600 a year. Food bills needn't exceed £3000 a year. If you are careful and you cook for yourself most nights, it can be significantly less, even if you are like me and you have a big appetite. Bills needn't be that much, especially if you actively make an effort to reduce your water and electricity consumption and you are in a shared house or flat and you split them with your fellow tenants. A year's bus pass only costs a few hundred. There's your public transport sorted. This leaves plenty of money left to play with or save, even if you were spending like a thousand on public transport each year.

Especially if you are part time? You know how to solve that? Work full time! You think you should be entitled to a nice wage which allows plenty of luxuries if you only work part time? Think again. If you want to go part time to expand your education or whatever, then work full time for a while to save up for it.
You can still survive but what sort of life is this?Consumed by trying to save a pound here and there I am all for saving money but this sort of life is nothing but work and surviving not actually living and exploring.Work is important but this sort of life does not seem rewarding.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
You can still survive but what sort of life is this?Consumed by trying to save a pound here and there I am all for saving money but this sort of life is nothing but work and surviving not actually living and exploring.Work is important but this sort of life does not seem rewarding.
Go to Waitrose then or M&S Food.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by dontcallmesammy)
I emailed my MP about an 18 year old being paid less than a 25 year old for the same work, and his response was basically "so what,18 yr olds don't need as much money". So I asked him what was in place to offer discounts on energy, food, rent, council tax etc for 18 year olds who are forced to leave home. No reply.
Who are these MPs to tell us how much money an 18-year-old needs MPs are paid very well perhaps too low if they are making such comments.I would love this MP to live a year of his life on a minimum wage scraping by living in a box sized room.Working insane amount of hours for very little pay.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
As somebody who used to oppose the minimum wage and actually bothers to read economic studies I can tell you that the evidence for direct increases in unemployment is very weak and that a number of labour market factors outweigh it.

Where there may be limited evidence is in employment growth (the raw number of future jobs created) however since the UK creates 700,000+ jobs with population growth of 400,000 I don't consider current minimum wage increases to be anything other than good.
I am not necessarily sure if increasing minimum wage would help as living costs are increasing too.I am not qualified to say how to solve a problem on such a high scale but i am just stating that the minimum wage is just too low.I think 30k is little after tax let alone the minimum wage.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladbants)
The minimum wage is different for different ages because younger people are less experienced and require more training by the employer. If they were paid the same wage, there would be no incentive for the employer to choose a younger candidate. The lower minimum wage gives an incentive to hire younger people, resulting in lower youth unemployment.

As well as this, a person on minimum wage wouldn't usually be working 8 hours a week. They would be working 10 hours or more. You can tell expect them to work such low hours and have a good income. It's the middle class that tend to work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

An increase n the minimum wage will also cause firms to hire fewer workers in the UK due to the higher cost of hiring them. Even though the minimum wage might be 'low', it is still far better than being unemployed.
I must disagree that younger people are less experienced as some people in their 20s may just begin a career in let's say waitressing and also have 0 experience.I am not saying that increasing the minimum wage would or would not help I just want to say how shocked I am people get paid so low.
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZuluArmy)
Just to help you with your numbers

7.50 (NLW 1/04/2017) *40hrs= £300 per week gross pay
PAYE- 11509 (The tax office actually give you an extra £9 a year on top of the publicised 11500) /52 =221.33 (Threshold)
NI= 8164 per year or £157 a week

So
NI Deduction at 12% (of £143) = £17.16
PAYE at 20% (78.67 after threshold)= £15.73 (This may differ by around 20 p a week)

300 (Gross pay) - £17.16 (National Insurance)-£15.73 = £267.11

over the course of a year
Gross pay 15600
National Insurance paid 892.32
PAYE Paid 818.20
Net Pay 13889 Per year

Thats pretty decent

I will work my own out and publicise it later
That is still very low I think 30 k per year after tax is low.I do not know how people survive on like 2-3k per month.A nice 2 bed house in London in an ok area is like 2 K per month.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
I am not necessarily sure if increasing minimum wage would help as living costs are increasing too.I am not qualified to say how to solve a problem on such a high scale but i am just stating that the minimum wage is just too low.I think 30k is little after tax let alone the minimum wage.
Living costs are certainly high in the UK. Taxation on ordinary people is 32% income, 20% most consumption, tax on energy bills, tax on housing ECT..

That's because your young and ambitious (a good thing if you actually get that banking job) or very middle class. 90% of people earn less than 60k and 20% earn less than 14k. If you hit 20k your already earning more than 40% of the population.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.65%
No (161)
40.35%

Watched Threads