The Student Room Group

been going to gym for 2 years, no ripped body

what do you think of this?

is me going to the gym even worth it anymore ?? i havent been consistent and i did go off track for a couple of months ....but overall i have still spent around 16 months in the gym, going twice a week

quote to reply.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by study beats

quote to reply.

Are your parents or other family members feeding you junk food? Even just small things like biscuits, you've got to be assertive and say NO. It's seriously wrecking your progress. :sadnod:
Original post by Used
Are your parents or other family members feeding you junk food? Even just small things like biscuits, you've got to be assertive and say NO. It's seriously wrecking your progress. :sadnod:

well i have been going on and off, i stopped for like 5 months
Being ripped is having low bodyfat which is a function of your diet above all else.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
You need to be consistent with the food everyday like the number of calories you eat and where you get those calories from. Every time you go back to the gym you must be getting stronger, you have to lift heavier, if you're not that means something is wrong.
Reply 5
Bad genetics + not starving yourself, but moreso the former.
Original post by Yaboi
Bad genetics + not starving yourself, but moreso the former.

is me going to the gym even worth it anymore ?? i havent been consistent and i did go off track for a couple of months ....but overall i have still spent around 16 months in the gym, going twice a week
you're not following a specific training program
Reply 8

That's for you to decide, if you think you can put more into it then why not but if you don't then it's only gonna get you the same results you're seeing now.
Are you doing enough weights and high-intensity workouts? I've only been going to the gym for like 2 months and my calf and thigh muscles are fully built and my abs are starting to come along too. I find using the treadmill on the highest incline is great for building muscle.

quote to reply.

Its not as simple as just showing up to the gym whenever and doing whatever. As someone said above being ripped/lean is more about your diet but if you have no muscle to begin with then there isn't really a point in cutting body fat first imo (if your goals are physique based).

You said it yourself, you're not being consistent. If you want to make progress, consistency is key, not only in actually showing up to the gym but also what you do when you're there.
(edited 7 years ago)
You need to go three times and do split body workout per each day in those three days.

Eat a ratio of 3:2:1 in carbs, protein and fat.

Get 8 hours of sleep a day, this is crucial.

Make sure you drink a protein shake after workout and consume a protein based meal within 45 minutes.

Also eat 6 balanced meals a day full of protein.
Two years man... sounds like you're doing everything wrong. Completely transformed my physique after two years of training. Are you following a program? Aiming for progressive overload? Assuming diet isn't nailed down.
Original post by Anonymous
You need to go three times and do split body workout per each day in those three days.

Eat a ratio of 3:2:1 in carbs, protein and fat.

Get 8 hours of sleep a day, this is crucial.

Make sure you drink a protein shake after workout and consume a protein based meal within 45 minutes.

Also eat 6 balanced meals a day full of protein.

Myths, myths, myths I'm afraid.

You don't need to be on a bodypart split to gain, in fact something with higher frequency is optimal for drug-free trainees. Upper/lower types are great.

What does "a ratio of 31" even mean? Aim for a certain amount of calories per day based on your goals, lean mass and activity levels and get at least 20% of those calories from proteins. No need to count carbs and fats, just get a decent balance of both to fill out the rest of your calories.

I very rarely get 8 hours. I function better on 6 hours. Never stopped me gaining. Quality over quantity. Stage 3 NREM sleep is when the blood supply to the muscles increases, tissue repair and growth occur and anabolic hormones, such as Growth Hormone, are released in the largest quantities, and energy levels are restored. REM sleep also provides energy to the brain and body and supports energy levels for the following day. 5-6 hours of good quality deep sleep are far superior in every way than 8+ hours of broken sleep.

Studies show that protein synthesis in the muscle gradually increases over the following 24 hours after a workout. The idea of getting a shake in post-workout to kick-start recovery is a good idea, but to then make sure you get home to eat a protein meal so you don't miss the mythical anabolic window is futile.

Meal frequency has practically no influence on muscle gain or fat loss. The number of meals you have per day should be solely based on your lifestyle and what works best for you as well as your current goal. The myth that frequent eating means better metabolic support is a total myth.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
Two years man... sounds like you're doing everything wrong. Completely transformed my physique after two years of training. Are you following a program? Aiming for progressive overload? Assuming diet isn't nailed down.

Transformed your physique in what specific ways? I was having a conversation about this last night so I'm interested.
Original post by Dr Pesto
Transformed your physique in what specific ways? I was having a conversation about this last night so I'm interested.

Do you mean the methods I used?
Reply 16
X

You're one of the lucky few with regards to sleep. It's largely based on genetics how well you can function but 90% of the population does better with more sleep, and a small 10% population seems to do just as well on 5-6 hours. I think Nuckols posted an article at some point showing up to 10 hours a night is beneficial for a high intensity training athlete. But if you don't feel like :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: after 6 hours thats good, I envy you :p: I need a minimum of 8:30 (which is exactly the minimum Nuckols suggested for training individual who isnt a genetic outlier w regards to sleep)
Do you mean the methods I used?

You could mention that, but I meant what your body was like before you started lifting compared to two years down the line.
Original post by Dr Pesto
You could mention that, but I meant what your body was like before you started lifting compared to two years down the line.

Ohhh, gotcha. I was 140lbs at the start, and 6'2'' i.e. thin as a rake :lol: After two years of bulking I was up to 210lbs but abs were gone. Then I cut down to somewhere about 180lbs to the same level of bodyfat as when I started. So a solid 40ish lbs of muscle gain there and some fat-loss experience, and losing fat is much easier than gaining muscle even if you're like me and love eating :wink:
Ohhh, gotcha. I was 140lbs at the start, and 6'2'' i.e. thin as a rake :lol: After two years of bulking I was up to 210lbs but abs were gone. Then I cut down to somewhere about 180lbs to the same level of bodyfat as when I started. So a solid 40ish lbs of muscle gain there and some fat-loss experience, and losing fat is much easier than gaining muscle even if you're like me and love eating :wink:

How did you cut fat whilst retaining all your muscle? Every time I try to cut my gains go soft.

Quick Reply

Latest