The Student Room Group

dietetics vs nutrition?

Just wondering what the difference is between a nutrition degree and a dietetics degree
do they lead to different careers?
which is better?
Original post by studystudystudy_
Just wondering what the difference is between a nutrition degree and a dietetics degree
which is better?

Currently also doing my research on this and from what i can see Nutrition is a more broad course and is less specific.
Dietetics degree almost always requires a year of work experience as once you have finished your degree you are a qualified dietitian. It is more applied than nutrition would be.

Because of this starting salaries are most likely going to be high for a dietitian as you are a qualified health professional so I guess that is an advantage of choosing a dietetics course.
But if you aren't 100% sure what you want to do maybe a nutrition course is more suited to you as you can then branch out into whatever you want health related- public nutrition, food science and even dietetics. But of course this will then be a longer academic process.

Hope this helped!
Original post by studystudystudy_
which is better?

Hi! I'm a Nutrition student, but studying alongside Dietetics students.

The main difference between the two is that a Dietetics degree is more clinical, so it'll allow you to practice as a dietitian in the NHS, whereas a Nutrition degree is less clinical and has a more public health focus. Although you can still find work in the NHS with a Nutrition degree, you are more likely to work in the community working with whole populations rather than on a one-to- one basis e.g. going into schools, workplaces etc, in the food industry.

With Dietetics, it is a protected title whereas with Nutrition, its not currently regulated. This means that people can work in Nutrition without having to complete a degree course, whereas with Dietetics you have to go to uni. In other words, you can claim to be a nutritionist without actually holding a degree; and this is where the online world of nutrition can be filled with unsolicited claims about the health benefits of a certain food, diet etc, when there is no scientific evidence to support claims. However, increasingly, employers are looking for nutritionists to be registered with the Association for Nutrition.

On this basis, you are likely to earn more as a dietitian in the long-term as there is more scope for progressing up the rankings. So, choose dietetics if you prefer more clinical settings i.e. treating medical conditions or nutrition if you prefer working in public health and promoting nutrition, but without the clinical side of things.

Quick Reply

Latest