Opinions On Spanish Civil War?

Watch
Cromwellian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I can't say I'm too sad about the outcome. Franco and the Nationalists saved Spain from the clutches of communism, for which they should receive the universal gratitude of posterity for averting what would have been the disastrous situation of having a Stalinist state on the periphery of Europe. Franco was like a 20th-century version of the European crusaders of old, driving back the soulless and destructive hordes of communism which sought to destroy Spain. If I had had to choose a side in the civil war, I would have joined the Nationalists in a heartbeat.

I like Spanish republican music though

Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd like to learn more about the civil war given that my maternal grandparents were growing up during it, my great-grandparents fought in it, and also that Franco came from the same region of Spain as my dad's side of the family.
Cromwellian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
I'd like to learn more about the civil war given that my maternal grandparents were growing up during it, my great-grandparents fought in it, and also that Franco came from the same region of Spain as my dad's side of the family.
Interesting
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Republicans were not all Stalinists, far from it.
Cromwellian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josb)
The Republicans were not all Stalinists, far from it.
True, there were anarchists and others. But the risk of them becoming little more than a Stalinist state was there. And any form of communist political organisation is a threat.
Demesne7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's your view of Franco?

Do you believe his government possessed the characteristics of a "fascist" regime?

Posted from TSR Mobile
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Europe abandoned Spain to a fascist takeover, and it really should be considered a stain on Franco-British interwar policy. That said, the Revolution achieved in Catalonia and Aragon, short-lived though it was, was remarkable.
username2766878
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Leftists like to paint Franco as a fascist but that's not the case and it demonstrates their lack of nuance in applying such terminology. Franco was a Catholic conservative and yes, he was authoritarian with right leaning views but his regime never practised anything like ethnic genocide or aggressive expansionism as Hitler (did both) and Mussolini (did the latter) did. Franco wasn't an ideal Democrat, but he saved Spain from both anarchistic Trotskyite and Stalinist communist factions whose prospective governments would have been economically ruinous and would have killed tens of millions as did other extreme left governments. Quite frankly, the moderates in the Republican movement were losing control to the more militant leftist wings. Spain benefitted from a Franco victory in a way it thankfully never had to see, and that was to avoid communism.
susanneblonde
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it was inevitable, due to years of tensions between the Monarchists and Republicans.

Franco was always more likely to win, since he managed to unite all anti-monarchists into the Falange, and got Hitler to support him.

he was brutal, but then i think spain had been pretty unstable for well into the 19th century, so it needed him to some degree. Even still, i don't think Spain has been a success since it became a democracy, it's still poor compared to the northern European EU members.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You mean the October 2017 war?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
29.15%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (45)
22.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (19)
9.55%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.63%

Watched Threads