Ronan_Friel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've been offered a place at the universities above for English Literature. I eventually hope to pursue law but obviously nothing's set in stone. These three universities were chosen because I love all the cities and all the courses really appeal to me.
What's causing the indecisiveness is league table rankings. I don't know if I'm placing too much importance on these but, for example, Birmingham ranks well above Glasgow on many of them. Will 20 league table places really have that much effect or should I just got to whatever university I prefer?
On top of this I have applied to Glasgow as an EU student. Due to the 4 year course, this will save me roughly £37,000. Should this be a deciding factor?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ronan_Friel)
I've been offered a place at the universities above for English Literature. I eventually hope to pursue law but obviously nothing's set in stone. These three universities were chosen because I love all the cities and all the courses really appeal to me.
What's causing the indecisiveness is league table rankings. I don't know if I'm placing too much importance on these but, for example, Birmingham ranks well above Glasgow on many of them. Will 20 league table places really have that much effect or should I just got to whatever university I prefer?
On top of this I have applied to Glasgow as an EU student. Due to the 4 year course, this will save me roughly £37,000. Should this be a deciding factor?
I think you are placing too much importance on (it has to be said, very questionable) rankings. All three are decent, respectable universities. Glasgow and Birmingham are about the same in terms of general reputation, Leeds is a tiny bit less prestigious. If I were an EU student then I would choose Glasgow without hesitation.
EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The importance should be placed more on the course and cost, rather than on the rankings. Choose the university that you think you'll actually enjoy, rather than the one that you think ranks higher. I've seen a few people I know go to Oxbridge (for example) purely because of it's prestige, then drop out because it's not the environment or course for them so I wouldn't assume that a high ranking means a brilliant university experience.

Think of each university individually -
Are there any modules unique to this course, that you'd be interested in studying?
Are there any mandatory modules that you really don't think you'll enjoy?
What about placement / work experience opportunities?
What are your thoughts on the department's facilities?
What are your thoughts on the societies on offer there? - How active are they?
How expensive is the accommodation there? - Is that an issue for you?
Is there anything unique to that university that you're interested in?
Think about the area - what amusements (theatres,cinemas,museums) are there, that you're interested in? Are there any festivals/fairs that you'd like to go to? If you like gigs - how many times to big bands come to play there?
How expensive is the area to live?

Place your thoughts of the course, over league positions.

Have you looked at The Complete University's Guide to each University? I found this so useful:
Leeds - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/leeds/
Birmingham - https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...uk/birmingham/
Glasgow - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/glasgow/

Have you compared the three using Unistats? - http://unistats.direct.gov.uk

I would definitely say though that being able to save £37,000 is really good, and living close to Glasgow I can assure you, it's a wonderful city with a lot going for it. However, even as a Scottish student, I have chosen to study in England because I found a university there that I much preferred. It's all up to what course you think you'd enjoy the most, and whether that financial saving is really worth it (e.g. it wouldn't be if you went to a university that you didn't like, to study a course that you thought was 'meh', in an area you absolutely hated for example)
puddings3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're not too sure what you want to do, I think Glasgow might be the better choice. I did my undergrad in English lit there and know a fairly large number of people who switched programmes. Because you're allowed to take 3 subjects in your first 2 years and requirements for joint honours are relatively lenient, it's possible to switch from maths to, for example, a joint honours in French and theology without having to do an extra year and without too much hassle. Since you have an interest in law, you will be able to take at least a couple introductory courses in law (bar timetable clashes etc) - and maybe after you do that you'll decide to switch to the English / law joint honours. Or maybe not, but at least it will give you the opportunity to experience more of what doing law is like and figure out if it's for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads