The Student Room Group

International student with dependent child

Hi,

If you are an international student (from outside the EEA) with a dependent child (between 5-16), is it still the case that the child can attend a state school for free? There is obviously a requirement that the child must be in full time education.

I found some old materials from 2011/12 which state it is free but just wanted confirmation if anyone knew the answer.

I'm planning on trying to check with the University too.

Thanks
Reply 1
Are you an international student? :holmes:
Reply 2
Original post by Zerforax
Hi,

If you are an international student (from outside the EEA) with a dependent child (between 5-16), is it still the case that the child can attend a state school for free? There is obviously a requirement that the child must be in full time education.

I found some old materials from 2011/12 which state it is free but just wanted confirmation if anyone knew the answer.

I'm planning on trying to check with the University too.

Thanks

Yes. As you say, education for a child of those ages is legally required in UK. Provision is therefore not means-tested and is provided free for all. You can choose to pay if you have the means, but most children - of any nationality or residency status - in the UK attend free state-funded schools.

Quick Reply

Latest