Alisha999
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi
I have a lot of careers in mind but I don't know what degree to take.

I'm in my first year of Alevels and I'm studying: Chemistry Psychology English Lit and Btec Health and Social Care.
Will my alevels allow me to have a variety of options available?

I recently wanted to do Midwifery/Adult Nursing but I don't know what to do.
The thing that kind of put me of Midwifery is that if I don't like the course once I've had the degree it's difficult to get another career with a Midwifery degree is that true?

I want to go into a health related career but I don't actually know which career or degree to take.
I was recently thinking of doing a Chemistry degree because I heard it's a good degree to have and it will allow me to get into some good health related careers. 😃

Is it best to wait and see what I get for my AS levels and then decide? If I get a high grade in Chemistry shall I go ahead and do a Chemistry degree or stick to something like nursing/midwifery?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. 😃
Oaklasaurus
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Hiya,
You could always go down the pharmaceutical route if you're enjoying chemistry. There's also medicine obviously with the chemistry, but if you don't have biology it could be a little trickier. With psychology, you could go into psychiatry, but that involves getting a medicine degree too. There's also therapy/social work?
One course that really interested me when I wanted to do what you're describing was this course here at Exeter:
BSc Biological and Medicinal Chemistry
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/biosciences/biomed/
If you're worried about not having the right a levels, you can always take a foundation year.
Let me know if there's anything I can help with more specifically. Sorry! ^^"
Alisha999
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you!
I have applied for Midwifery, yet if I do well in Chemistry I am hoping to go onto Optometry. I am aware that I'm not doing Biology so I'm hoping to do a foundation year (that will cover the basics biology that I need to help me onto the course right?)
Then after the foundation year I'm hoping to go onto the three year Optometry course.

If that's the case I hope the foundation year is not very difficult as I'm not the best at maths!

Thank you.
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
99% sure you don't need biology to do medicine - just chemistry and another science.

Apparently A-Level biology doesn't really focus much on human biology, which is what you need in medicine. They teach you it in the first year I think (please should someone else check if this is correct?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (34)
27.42%
It went fairly well (53)
42.74%
It didn't go too well (24)
19.35%
TERRIBLE! (13)
10.48%

Watched Threads