The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guru Jason
Then its their own fault. Dont do something wrong if you cant take the consequences no matter how trivial.

I doubt his life will be ruined. He will just get a warning from Uni I'm sure. I think you did the right thing :smile:
Original post by doodle_333
I would certainly say the same thing about tabacco smoke. I just don't appreciate having a flat which stinks and sets off my asthma. Plus it's likely anyone smoking is covering fire alarms which is dangerous and could lead to the flat being fined.

Any smoker who doesn't realise that other people don't want to smell their cigarettes/joints is an idiot. Virtually no non-smokers are even neutral towards the smoke/smell. If someone wants to plead ignorance that's just because they're too selfish to consider anyone else.

As an asthma and migraine sufferer i've always found perfume to be far worse than tobacco or cannabis smoke, unfortunately there are no laws in place that i can take advantage of to force those selfish ignorant people covered in perfume to do as i wish. Will you join me in calling for a ban on the possesion of perfume?
(edited 7 years ago)
Today's society is so hell bent on being inclusive. Pandering to whims. The rules are clear. The user will have been told them when signing the contract, the flat have been warned, and still he carries on just pleasing himself. Such a sense of entitlement! If he doesn't like it he can move somewhere else alone and carry on, putting only himself at risk.
The OP is perfectly entitled to report him
Original post by angie01xxx
I doubt his life will be ruined. He will just get a warning from Uni I'm sure. I think you did the right thing :smile:

Lol im not the op. I didnt do anything. But i do agree with you
Original post by yeled ez
As an asthma and migraine sufferer i've always found perfume to be far worse than tobacco or cannabis smoke, unfortunately there are no laws in place that i can take advantage of to force those selfish ignorant people covered in perfume to do as i wish. Will you join me in calling for a ban on the possesion of perfume?

A ban on pefurme that consistantly causes asthma attack, sure. They should only sell those that dont cause attacks. (My brothers both being sufferers.) Obvs we dont ban those that are proven to not cause them though. This is why i also hate indoor smoking of any kind.
Original post by Guru Jason
A ban on pefurme that consistantly causes asthma attack, sure. They should only sell those that dont cause attacks. (My brothers both being sufferers.) Obvs we dont ban those that are proven to not cause them though. This is why i also hate indoor smoking of any kind.

That'd be anything that comes in an aerosol and more, seems a bit selfish to deprive people of all that.

personally I find tobacco much worse, I'm not going to force people to alter their behaviour if it's legal and accepted... but I'm also not going to put up with something illegal and unaccepted because someone is a selfish :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:

Original post by Cherub012
Well, if they are smoking it in their own room with the window open, it might be a little difficult to believe the smell is strong enough to affect everyone.

But seriously, you really wouldn't confront them first?

I had flatmates who said they'd 'open the windows' - the smell still got everywhere. It would blow out of the window and into the next window or enough smoke would still get into the flat

but yes, I said in my first post I would confront them before reporting it (and did when I had a flatmate who smoked)

I had flatmates who said they'd 'open the windows' - the smell still got everywhere. It would blow out of the window and into the next window or enough smoke would still get into the flat

but yes, I said in my first post I would confront them before reporting it (and did when I had a flatmate who smoked)

...because reporting them right away would be a bit too far, right?
personally I find tobacco much worse, I'm not going to force people to alter their behaviour if it's legal and accepted... but I'm also not going to put up with something illegal and unaccepted because someone is a selfish :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:

Which you can do of course, but the purpose of the misuse of drugs act is to prevent the misuse of drugs having harmful effects sufficient to constitute a social problem. By reporting use like this you are not helping to prevent the misuse of drugs or helping society, you're taking advantage of the law purely for your own gain, pretty :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:sh behavior with the potential for very serious consequences for your victim rather than mild irritation from a smell.
...because reporting them right away would be a bit too far, right?

definitely... people should be clever enough to realise smoking indoors is a dick move but I would also respect my flatmates enough to speak to them about issues before potentially getting them into trouble

Which you can do of course, but the purpose of the misuse of drugs act is to prevent the misuse of drugs having harmful effects sufficient to constitute a social problem. By reporting use like this you are not helping to prevent the misuse of drugs or helping society, you're taking advantage of the law purely for your own gain, pretty :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:sh behavior with the potential for very serious consequences for your victim rather than mild irritation from a smell.

a mild irritation? I thought you said you have asthma...

and my victim? so I'm the one struggling to breathe but reporting that fact (after asking the person to have some basic respect for those around them) makes me the bad guy? breathing in smoke is bad for you - that's why it's illegal in buildings... if someone is selfish enough that they think multiple people need to breathe in their disgusting smoke (which will probably take 1 hour + to clear) just cos they cba to throw a pair of shoes on then they deserve the consequences
definitely... people should be clever enough to realise smoking indoors is a dick move but I would also respect my flatmates enough to speak to them about issues before potentially getting them into trouble

Well that's what I've been arguing. It would have been better if OP spoke to them first before reporting them.
a mild irritation? I thought you said you have asthma...

and my victim? so I'm the one struggling to breathe but reporting that fact (after asking the person to have some basic respect for those around them) makes me the bad guy? breathing in smoke is bad for you - that's why it's illegal in buildings... if someone is selfish enough that they think multiple people need to breathe in their disgusting smoke (which will probably take 1 hour + to clear) just cos they cba to throw a pair of shoes on then they deserve the consequences

Yeah ok, i have asthma and it's extremely irritating that my neighbour has a bonfire every 2 weeks but it still doesn't compare to the potential consequences of being reported for cannabis. In that scenario you're both selfish :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:, you're just the bigger one.
Well that's what I've been arguing. It would have been better if OP spoke to them first before reporting them.

Except he's an adult. He knows the rules. And chooses to deliberately break them The flat have already been warned. What does he need? A nice cuddle? Being told via contract it's not allowed, being told by the landlord already. He deserves it
Original post by Sammylou40
Except he's an adult. He knows the rules. And chooses to deliberately break them The flat have already been warned. What does he need? A nice cuddle? Being told via contract it's not allowed, being told by the landlord already. He deserves it

You would report someone smoking tobacco indoors despite a no-smoking-indoors policy without speaking to them first?
You would report someone smoking tobacco indoors despite a no-smoking-indoors policy without speaking to them first?

No. If it was this scenario. Stop babying him!!!!! How many times? Contract. Flat warning. Still carries on. Deserves it. If they hadn't all been warned already then I might tell him. How many people does it take?He knows. He's ignored it
No. If it was this scenario. Stop babying him!!!!! How many times? Contract. Flat warning. Still carries on. Deserves it. If they hadn't all been warned already then I might tell him. How many people does it take?He knows. He's ignored it

He got a flat warning?
probably would have been the best solution
He got a flat warning?

If you've read the whole thread then you will know the flat was warned about the smell of cannabis by the landlord/uni whichever it is
If you've read the whole thread then you will know the flat was warned about the smell of cannabis by the landlord/uni whichever it is

Oh lol. I thought you meant he got an individual warning for doing it before.

So in the same situation with a smoker, you would report them?
op is pathetic

Latest

Trending

Trending