The Student Room Group

Job and anxiety

Anyone else has problems with anxiety and their job..? I hate it when I can't make it in for a shift for whatever reason (I usually say it's a family problem) but then I can't find the courage to ring into work to let them know - only text and then it makes me feel bad because I can't do this but I can't tell them why.

Anyone else get anxious about ringing up work when can't make a shift? Makes me feel nervous, ashamed and :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:... My friend said to me tonight "if you don't ring up you will lose your job" which is true. I probably will but she's just made me nervous about returning back to work and made me feel 10 X worse... Supposed to be my friend and yeah. She hasn't exactly made me feel any better.

Any advice necessary or anyone whom comments on this who gets how I feel cause right now I feel so stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammie_x
Anyone else has problems with anxiety and their job..? I hate it when I can't make it in for a shift for whatever reason (I usually say it's a family problem) but then I can't find the courage to ring into work to let them know - only text and then it makes me feel bad because I can't do this but I can't tell them why.

Anyone else get anxious about ringing up work when can't make a shift? Makes me feel nervous, ashamed and :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:... My friend said to me tonight "if you don't ring up you will lose your job" which is true. I probably will but she's just made me nervous about returning back to work and made me feel 10 X worse... Supposed to be my friend and yeah. She hasn't exactly made me feel any better.

Any advice necessary or anyone whom comments on this who gets how I feel cause right now I feel so stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have time off work because of your anxiety?
It can be very scary telling people about your anxiety but sometimes thinking about how they'll react will only reinforce your anxiety. For example, telling yourself that your boss will laugh in your face and make you feel bad for feeling anxious is an anxious thought in itself. Although there is a chance your work colleagues may not be understanding about it, you do not know that for certain. If they aren't understanding about it, then they are not decent human beings.
As for your friend, no, she does not sound very understanding. Have you tried talking to her about the extent or your anxiety and how it makes you feel? If she knew the impact it is having on your day-to-day life, she might be a bit less insensitive.

Right now, your job may be your biggest concern but your mental health should always come first. Have you been diagnosed with anxiety by your GP? If you have, then you could ask them to write a letter explaining your condition to your manager. If not, it would be a good idea to express your concerns about your anxiety to your GP so that they can help you.
You should never feel stupid for having anxiety and you don't have to deal with it alone, even if you feel that way.
I had this issue; I eventually went to my GP to discuss things, ended up breaking down in tears before I could even start my calm pre-rehearsed speech about it. I got signed off for 2 weeks, I went in after 1 week and gave in my 1 week notice because I realised the job just wasn't healthy for me to be in.

I'm not saying this is something you should just do flippantly but if on reflection you find that it's affecting your ability to function in life then, I would highly suggest looking into alternatives and giving your notice.

Quick Reply

Latest