The Student Room Group

How to get an A in biology

My AS exams start in 5 weeks and at the moment I'm really lacking confidence in biology. It's my most challenging subject (I also do psychology and history) but I don't find the content difficult; I really enjoy it actually. I've been doing well in it all year but suggest questions really throw me off, I had a look at last year's CCEA AS unit 2 exam and it was very suggest-y and I began to panic! I need at least a B overall and I'm hoping my coursework will bring me up a grade but I'm so so so nervous for the exams that I feel sick :frown: Has anyone got any advice
Original post by MeganMcAlister
My AS exams start in 5 weeks and at the moment I'm really lacking confidence in biology. It's my most challenging subject (I also do psychology and history) but I don't find the content difficult; I really enjoy it actually. I've been doing well in it all year but suggest questions really throw me off, I had a look at last year's CCEA AS unit 2 exam and it was very suggest-y and I began to panic! I need at least a B overall and I'm hoping my coursework will bring me up a grade but I'm so so so nervous for the exams that I feel sick :frown: Has anyone got any advice

im completely the same. i find the questions where you regurgitate textbook information easy enough but when it comes to interpretative questions i lose all my marks. the only advice i can give you is to buy the revision book and learn it off by heart cause its great and do all the past papers. but apart from that unless youre one of them people who can just pull the answer out of their head theres not much you can do.
Original post by tearsforyears
im completely the same. i find the questions where you regurgitate textbook information easy enough but when it comes to interpretative questions i lose all my marks. the only advice i can give you is to buy the revision book and learn it off by heart cause its great and do all the past papers. but apart from that unless youre one of them people who can just pull the answer out of their head theres not much you can do.

I already have the textbook and revision guide! I love love love the textbook but I haven't really looked at the revision guide much, but that will most likely change before the exam. How are you revising for the practical paper on the 5th may??
I already have the textbook and revision guide! I love love love the textbook but I haven't really looked at the revision guide much, but that will most likely change before the exam. How are you revising for the practical paper on the 5th may??

lmao im just pretending it doesnt exist at the minute!! practicals are not my strong point. ill probably try to learn methods and observations and hope that scrapes me through but i doubt it. what about you?
Original post by tearsforyears
lmao im just pretending it doesnt exist at the minute!! practicals are not my strong point. ill probably try to learn methods and observations and hope that scrapes me through but i doubt it. what about you?

My school is giving us past papers of the practical papers that were done like 10 years ago so that will hopefully help! I was planning on just revising the practicals in the blue boxes in the textbook but now I think I'm going to revise the whole course before the practical exam because there were some questions on the adaptations of hydrophytes and xerophytes on the older practical papers
My school is giving us past papers of the practical papers that were done like 10 years ago so that will hopefully help! I was planning on just revising the practicals in the blue boxes in the textbook but now I think I'm going to revise the whole course before the practical exam because there were some questions on the adaptations of hydrophytes and xerophytes on the older practical papers

the past papers should be a good help. our school doesnt give them out. yeah i was planning on learning the blue boxes but if they ask other stuff idk what im going to do i guess ill just have to start revising all of biology over easter.

dont know if youve seen this but i was on the ccea website
http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/common/includes/microsite_doc_link.aspx?docid=18517-2
hopefully you find it useful.
Reply 7
The revision guide (CCEA) was my saviour. Collate notes from the text book and the revision guide so you can be sure you've covered everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Find the best way you revise (e.g. visual, auditory, kinaesthetic), then use that to revise.
I did a lot of different things like flash cards, notes, diagrams etc.
For longer processes, like Transcription and Translation, use diagrams.
Do a lot of past papers, under timed conditions, and then mark them.
Whatever you can't understand, note it down, revise it and then try the questions again.
Revise all of the previous content every week to make sure that you understand it.
Try to not listen to music.
Use the books to your advantage, as well as your teachers and peers

I have a lot more, but it would take ages to note them all down. In the end, I got an A in AS-Biology and am predicted an A* in A2. I do AQA and have an offer for Biomedical Science at Warwick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending