Am I leaving it too late to start revising?

Watch
Ollie.163
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently haven't started properly revising, should I be?
cbrand1806
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When are your exams?
FlorryG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Revising for exams can be salvaged up to 1 week I think, after that you may as well sit and home and cry why trying to find a school that will let you resit.
Raizelcadres
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ollie.163)
Just give it 100% and see what happens. You will regret it even more after your exams when you didn't try at all. You can chill and do whatever you want. Also don't be stressed out, if you don't do well its not the end. You can always do them again in the future.
Konanabanana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends who you are and if you have found your most effective revision methods. There is no disadvantage to starting early and only negatives to starting late, but that does not say it's too late atm. You have about 2 months to revise. I'm guessing you would have finished 90% of the course so you should have at least the first unit for each subject fully revised. Then after Easter have your second unit fully revised. All i can say is make sure you do every past paper 1-2 times.

Good Luck!
Ollie.163
Rep:
?
(Original post by cbrand1806)
When are your exams?
begin 16th may
TheIncredibleZ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Get some light revision done now and bash it out between Easter and whenever you end.
Ollie.163
Rep:
?
(Original post by Konanabanana)
Depends who you are and if you have found your most effective revision methods. There is no disadvantage to starting early and only negatives to starting late, but that does not say it's too late atm. You have about 2 months to revise. I'm guessing you would have finished 90% of the course so you should have at least the first unit for each subject fully revised. Then after Easter have your second unit fully revised. All i can say is make sure you do every past paper 1-2 times.

Good Luck!
what would you recommend as revision methods, I tried doing powerpoints but found them very time consuming and not too effective
cbrand1806
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
begin 16th may
I'd start in the next week or so to give you a month of revision. Good luck!
Ollie.163
Rep:
?
(Original post by cbrand1806)
I'd start in the next week or so to give you a month of revision. Good luck!
okay, thank you!
LauraMayden1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Damn, I'm leaving it to two weeks before the exam (because procrastination). I don't think it's too late so long as you know how you best revise.
Ollie.163
Rep:
?
(Original post by LauraMayden1)
Damn, I'm leaving it to two weeks before the exam (because procrastination). I don't think it's too late so long as you know how you best revise.
any advice for revision methods?
LauraMayden1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
any advice for revision methods?
Mm, difficult as everyone is different. I basically don't go over anything I've learnt and start doing past papers so I'm forced to recall whatever I can. I usually do absolutely rubbish in that paper, then I go over whatever I didn't get, that way it sticks in my head way better. Then I go on to do another past paper and repeat the process until I'm consistently getting the marks I want.
Then at the very last minute (like, before the exam so you can remember it), I go over all the key points of everything.
I also make sure I'm quite familiar with all the formulas and have them all organised in my head (i.e which ones I have to memorize, which ones I use for this and that etc) which I find is helpful for saving time in the exam.

Hope this helps you
Ollie.163
Rep:
?
(Original post by LauraMayden1)
Mm, difficult as everyone is different. I basically don't go over anything I've learnt and start doing past papers so I'm forced to recall whatever I can. I usually do absolutely rubbish in that paper, then I go over whatever I didn't get, that way it sticks in my head way better. Then I go on to do another past paper and repeat the process until I'm consistently getting the marks I want.
Then at the very last minute (like, before the exam so you can remember it), I go over all the key points of everything.
I also make sure I'm quite familiar with all the formulas and have them all organised in my head (i.e which ones I have to memorize, which ones I use for this and that etc) which I find is helpful for saving time in the exam.

Hope this helps you
thank you for the advice, do you have any advice for English revision? presuming I cant really do past papers for that?
Ara8311a
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thank you for the advice, do you have any advice for English revision? presuming I cant really do past papers for that?
Mindmaps is what my English revision consists of but that could be just because I love making mindmaps. Generally these are about what happens or general themes.
Rereading the books/plays/poems/ other texts can be helpful too.
Hope this is helpful to you!
Saph00x
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With English revision, the best thing to do is make sure you're really familiar with the plays/novels that your studying. I recommend reading the main chapters again or listening to the audiobook online or on YoutTube if you are a slow reader. Then look at the themes and characters you need to know about. If you learn quotes and analysis for each one, then you should be fine. I prefer to make a mind map or summary sheets for each character or theme.

You should start now, because not only do you have to make the notes, but you also have to spend time memorising them, and also practising essays to prepare you for the exam.

Just don't stress because you have some time.
Konanabanana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what would you recommend as revision methods, I tried doing powerpoints but found them very time consuming and not too effective
What did i do?
By Christmas i finished all my first units e.g if it was AS it would be unit 1 or if maths then C1. This means i went through the whole book with notes. My notes are summary of what the book says and also learning good phrasing. I ask myself potential questions and try to answer them. When i have finished my first unit i complete every past paper for that unit before Easter. During Easter i revise my second/third unit. From Easter until the exam i did every past paper a second time for my first unit and 1 time for my final units. Then last few weeks before the exam i look over my past papers and redo any of the ones i got Below an A in. My personal revision method is legit just talking to a wall. I imagine teaching people. May sound stupid but its effective for me as i did not do much revision. My quantity is very low. e.g maybe 1 time a week for 2 hours but i can learn it very well. I can't tell you the best method u'll have to figure it out yourself but my best method BY FAR! was explaining it to an imaginary person. Also learn how to phrase words and make sure u know exactly what something means. Problem people have is they think they no everything and then they say they flop. You never flopped you just did not know it. So make sure you really understand every single word or when you go into the exam you will use the correct words but in the wrong way or say it slightly wrong and it gives the examiner a reason to drop a mark. This is very important for biology and physics. If you have questions on either of those subjects i'm more than happy to help.
elamt2001
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, I hate to be pessimistic but you are late. You have approximately one month until the exams and lets be honest last minute revision isn't an option for the 25 or so exams you are expected to do. Most of the subjects you are getting examined on test a specific set of skills that you should have been building up through a LONG enough time period. These subjects include Maths and English, which is particularly alarming considering they are the 'new' GCSE subjects. The more factual subjects such as science and history you should start revising for now if you wish to excel in them.

All I can recommend is STARTING your revision right now. For maths and English do as many past exam questions as possible and try to look at exemplar answers to really boost your grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (43)
59.72%
No (29)
40.28%

Watched Threads