The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

I'm currently in Year 12 and I want to study medicine. I was planning to go straight after year 13, but now I want to take a year off to help my pregnant mum and spend time with my new sibling (YAY!). I do also plan to do volunteering and gain more work experience. My mum, however, is reluctant and doesn't believe that universities would accept my reason as an 'excuse' for a gap year.
So, any advice? Should I take a gap year? And what else could I possible do in that year? Also, if I do take a gap year, should I worry about work experience, UKCAT and volunteering right now or just focus on A-levels?
Reply 1
Difficult to say but a gap year can quickly become a waste if it is not planned for. As long as you use the year to better your cv then it is useful. I think the fact you want to pursue a 5/6 year course it might be good to take a break from education and pursue other things..
Original post by MushyF
I'm currently in Year 12 and I want to study medicine. I was planning to go straight after year 13, but now I want to take a year off to help my pregnant mum and spend time with my new sibling (YAY!). I do also plan to do volunteering and gain more work experience. My mum, however, is reluctant and doesn't believe that universities would accept my reason as an 'excuse' for a gap year.
So, any advice? Should I take a gap year? And what else could I possible do in that year? Also, if I do take a gap year, should I worry about work experience, UKCAT and volunteering right now or just focus on A-levels?

In many ways having a gap year makes you a better student - because you have done something. DOn't waste the gap year - help your mum ( although your dad really should pull his weight - it is his baby too) and get some experience overseas - it will definitely help.

If you do get an interview make sure you have a plan - even if it is bending the truth - don't just say it is helping your mum, lay out a plan of work experience and you will get brownie points for that
I would say apply this year to medicine and treat it as a year to gain experience about the whole process, because it is hard and with experience you will know what to improve on for your application next time. Worry about work experience, volunteering and UKCAT after you finish your exams this year, but do try taking the UKCAT so get a feel of the whole experience. And also do not give these things too much importance, that you neglect your ALevels. Your ALevels are the most important thing!!! You do not want to be that one student that gets medicine offers but can't go because don't do well in your ALevels.
Hope this helped! Good luck!
Reply 4
Thank you for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest