Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

designer babies: for or against? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    do u think genetic modification of the human race could be a way forward or a hinderence to the way we live and breed naturally?

replies on a postcard please (jk)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)
    do u think genetic modification of the human race could be a way forward or a hinderence to the way we live and breed naturally?

replys on a postcard please (jk)
    try putting this in the debate forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i am trigger)
    try putting this in the debate forum
    well its in here now

ReputationRep:
    In theory: a wonderful thing...the ability to eradicate genetic disorders and diseases...hopefully leading to better quality of life.

In practice: far too much scope for abuse and cosmetic motivation (ie hair colour) rather than thinking purely about diseases and disorders.

G

I'm all for curing disease, but things like looks shouldn't be changed.

ReputationRep:
    Against. Ok, so you say it can be used to save another child, but how would the child that is created feel when it finds out that the only reason it was made was to save it's brother/sisters life, and not because the parents wanted another child?
    It's a good idea, great scientific advancement, but my conscience says that it's wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    In theory: a wonderful thing...the ability to eradicate genetic disorders and diseases...hopefully leading to better quality of life.

In practice: far too much scope for abuse and cosmetic motivation (ie hair colour) rather than thinking purely about diseases and disorders.

G
    the thing is, we catch disease's and illnesses and this is natures way of keeping the population at a level that can be managed, dont u think creating babies to save lives would create a massive problem on the poulation front?

ReputationRep:
    we should definitely use the technology to erradicate genetic diseases - frankly i'd rather have over population than disease and illness. But tbh I doubt that population will change much with thsi technology.

ReputationRep:
    the thing is, we catch disease's and illnesses and this is natures way of keeping the population at a level that can be managed, dont u think creating babies to save lives would create a massive problem on the poulation front?
    I don't think so...because modern technology excluding genetic modification is at a point now where almost all genetic diseases and illnesses can be catered for to ensure the child lives...it's just that it might have a poor quality of life. Also...in the modern day and age...people aren't having as many children anymore...so i don't think that a popn boom will be on the cards. I'm against creating babies to save lives...but if they want to have another child...then if by using genetic modification they can save another life..then why not. Although like i said before..too much scope for abuse...and you'll inevitably end up with people having extra children to save other children's lives. But hopefully..in the future..that wouldn't be needed...as if GM is used..then children won't be born with such disorders in the first place.

G

ReputationRep:
    do u think this could end up being the same senario as animal testing?

ReputationRep:
    do u think this could end up being the same senario as animal testing?
    How do you mean?? Creating humans to test drugs on????:confused:

G

ReputationRep:
    well its in here now
    ohh get you miss thing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How do you mean?? Creating humans to test drugs on????:confused:

G
    well u always see about theses rallies and such by people so against such things, but theres also a fair few who are for it (mainly those in need of the medication being tested), do u think designer babies could become this complex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i am trigger)
    ohh get you miss thing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Designer babies would mean a new generation of perfect beings...and playing nature and god...thats not right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    Designer babies would mean a new generation of perfect beings...and playing nature and god...thats not right.
    it would be like village of the damned wouldnt it!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well u always see about theses rallies and such by people so against such things, but theres also a fair few who are for it (mainly those in need of the medication being tested), do u think designer babies could become this complex?
    They'll never introduce the creation of babies to test drugs on them..at least....i doubt they will in my lifetime. More likely..they'll create the drugs...and test them on animals as they do now. Once they're cleared for human testing....they'll offer them to those who have no other chance than using experimental drugs. Creating babies for drugs testing is highly unethical, immoral and would create a huge amount of controversy. Something i doubt drugs companies would be willing to enter into.

G

ReputationRep:
    although if it means making better beings, why would god object?
    im just selfish...i wouldnt want anyone to be better than me, although im sure there are people better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    I think it could work if it's only used to eradicate disease. If it were used to change physical appearance...even in terms of the 'height' of the child....it would be too cosmetic and an abuse of the technology.

G

ReputationRep:
    Creating babies is highly unethical, immoral and would create a huge amount of controversy.

G
    is it/does it not do this already?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.