Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a British citizen and want to study bachelor of medicine in Germany. I am currently in Germany and learning German but won't be able to sit TESTDAF or DSH before the application deadline. Does anybody know of universities in Germany that will allow me to sit one of these AFTER the application deadline but before enrolment?
Badges: 8
Report 4 years ago
That's 'easy', I'm afraid. There is no Bachelor degree course in human medicine (Humanmedizin) in Germany. The only half-exception is Oldenburg university which partnered up with Groningen university (Netherlands) offering a new two-nation programme in medicine. As I understand it, however, the Bachelor degree is only available if you decide to do your degrees on the Groningen side. The Oldenburg-side course doesn't have a Bachelor degree on offer.

Generally, the Bachelor/Master degree system is just not present in classic medicine courses which prepare for a career in clinical medicine, that is, as a physician (Arzt/Ärztin). The regular path here is a 'full' Staatsexamen course of 6 years+, or 12.5 semesters (most students need a little more). The 3-part examination to qualify for a license to practice as a physician (Approbation) is regulated by federal law. The first state exam (erste Ärzteprüfung, or erstes Staatsexamen) is scheduled after 2 years (pre-clinicical part). The second state exam takes place before the last year, after which the student enters a year of practical training (Praktisches Jahr) in a hospital. After that, the third state exam (3. Ärzteprüfung / Staatsexamen) takes place. Many also work towards the Doktor degree (PhD) …

Apart from classic medicine courses, there are other health- and medicine-related courses which can be studied in the Bachelor/Master system. For example Biomedizin or Molekulare Medizin which is medicine in a scientific research context (lab work) ...

So, the first thing to research is what courses there are at which universities, and then you check the application requirements and procedures, which are usually published on the university websites, often at least partly in English. I would recommend that you contact a university's office for Allgemeine Studienberatung, perhaps even make an appointment for a personal Beratung and visit that university in person.

It's probably going to be a little complicated if you were thinking of doing a first degree in Germany and then go on in the UK or another country for a Master or Ph.D. Also be aware that universities are quite selective. If you have a school leaving certificate from the UK, there are specific requirements as to what A-levels you have taken. Also, many universities want applicants for classic medicine courses to take the Medizinertest first, which is mainly to assess one's ability to concentrate and memorise. German language requirements are higher than usual: level C1 or C2 (CEFR levels), e.g., DSH2 or DSH3.

There are several course databases that can be helpful. See the website of DAAD (Deutscher akademischer Austauschdienst): has as search mask for the whole field of medicine and health sciences (in German):

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
new posts
to top
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)

Watched Threads

View All