My GCSE's are [s]dolphin[/s][s]dolphin[/s][s]dolphin[/s][s]dolphin[/s] HELP

Watch
Ashton_micah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,
I want to study law at a top law uni preferably in London or Durham (I know I can't get into oxbridge) In my first year of college I studied a 90 Credit BTEC Diploma in sports and achieved a DISTINCTION* DISTINCTION* (equivalent to 1.5 A levels at A*) however I am choosing to change courses in my second year and start a fresh completing A levels. I am going to be studying History, English literature, Relgious education and Drama. My dream is to be a solicitor and secure a training contract in central London preferably with a top law firm, I am determined and am going to work hard however in earlier life I did not perform to the best standards and achieved the following GCSE's-
English language B
English literature B
Maths C
Science C
Science Additional C
Geography E
BTEC Business Pass
Drama C
IcT B
RE C
BTEC Sport Distinction

So as you see I underperformed however at A level I am going to turn this around and hopefully Achieve at the bare minimum of AAB (more likely AAA) so will my poor GCSE's f**k me over for uni? As previously stated, I am looking for top Law unis such as UCL, LSE, KCL, Durham ect can anybody help? Will my 1st year of further education also effect me negatively due to the fact I did not participate in A levels? Any help is appreciated.
Parametric
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As far as I know only the 'super elite' universities will take your GCSE's as enough weight to sway an application. Your A-levels, along with personal statement are by far the the most important so don't worry!
EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ashton_micah)
Hi all,
I want to study law at a top law uni preferably in London or Durham (I know I can't get into oxbridge) In my first year of college I studied a 90 Credit BTEC Diploma in sports and achieved a DISTINCTION* DISTINCTION* (equivalent to 1.5 A levels at A*) however I am choosing to change courses in my second year and start a fresh completing A levels. I am going to be studying History, English literature, Relgious education and Drama. My dream is to be a solicitor and secure a training contract in central London preferably with a top law firm, I am determined and am going to work hard however in earlier life I did not perform to the best standards and achieved the following GCSE's-
English language B
English literature B
Maths C
Science C
Science Additional C
Geography E
BTEC Business Pass
Drama C
IcT B
RE C
BTEC Sport Distinction

So as you see I underperformed however at A level I am going to turn this around and hopefully Achieve at the bare minimum of AAB (more likely AAA) so will my poor GCSE's f**k me over for uni? As previously stated, I am looking for top Law unis such as UCL, LSE, KCL, Durham ect can anybody help? Will my 1st year of further education also effect me negatively due to the fact I did not participate in A levels? Any help is appreciated.
Some universities will want you to have a certain number of GCSE's within a certain range or they will require you to have a certain grade in certain subject/s. This will vary from university to university. For example:
UCL states that "All programmes require GCSE or equivalent passes in English Language and Mathematics at grade C or higher"
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...s/a-level-gcse
If it is not specified, then it is most likely, not something that they consider when looking at applicants. If you are worried about not meeting a particular university's entry requirements (or are unsure) then you can always get in contact with them - this can be done over phone or through email - tell them about your GCSE's, and what you predict to get in A Level, as well as any relevant work experience. They will be able to advise you best on wether they'd consider you or not, and if not, what you can do to change that.

LSE: "If you have taken GCSEs or equivalent qualifications, these will be taken into account when we assess your application.
All applicants are expected to have at least grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics or the equivalent, although exceptions are made for applicants with extenuating circumstances.
As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades), particularly within the context of their school.
Some programmes require grades higher than B in GCSE Mathematics and these are outlined in the individual programme pages.' - http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Un...y-Requirements

KCL - " GCSE Requirements - Some programmes require students to have achieved a certain standard(s) at GCSE (or equivalent) in addition to Higher qualifications (such as A-Levels)" - http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad...nts/index.aspx

Durham - "In order to be admitted to the University, a student must satisfy the entry requirements of the programme and the matriculation regulations. " - https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/...ly/entry-reqs/
.Iqra.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's with the thread title?
Ashton_micah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by iqra2159)
What's with the thread title?
Good question, it's because I copied and pasted it from my own previous thread that I posted in the wrong section.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
32%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (31)
20.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.33%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25.33%

Watched Threads