The Student Room Group

Motivation

For the last few months I have had no motivation for anything due to personal reasons, because of this my grades have suffered. I am currently doing my AS levels.
I just wanted to know if anyone had the same problem or is going through it? If so, how did you tackle it and what did you do to ensure you didn't fail?
Hi mate, I had quite a similar problem to you. Even though I had potential, I totally flunked my first TWO tries at college. Are you planning on going to university?
Original post by dontknowwhatoput
Hi mate, I had quite a similar problem to you. Even though I had potential, I totally flunked my first TWO tries at college. Are you planning on going to university?

I am indeed!! I am doing my AS exams now, I feel pretty behind and I just want to pull it back! :frown:
I remember those grey times! One thing that became apparent to me was dropping out twice was not worth it at all, so stick with it :smile: Even when I finally managed to sit my as levels, I still fell behind in the year and did worse than expected. What sorted this out for me, was doing 2/3 re-sits the next summer during alevel exams. Just remember this is a great opportunity to fix any first-year mistakes!!

Motivation: in itself it is tricky. During as levels I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, so i struggled to see the bigger picture. But in my second year, I really turned everything around and turned some **** grades into some respectable ones :smile:

My anchor for success, so to say, is it to focus on what a levels will bring you and where they will take you. You get to move to London perhaps ( where is study), move in with a bunch of people who will become your best friends forever, no more parents (finally lol!), you get to party a lot as well! This made me smile and gave me hope, really! I can tell you I'm having sooooo much fun in my freshman year. Loads of opportunities to grow and develop yourself. Also, I was excited to start career options.

Other than this, make sure you do some exercise and stuff, you know. REMEMBER TO STILL ENJOY YOURSELF. It does end and its ******* worth it.

One note in terms of actually doing work. Making a revision schedules and itineraries up to the very exam, worked great for me as well. Crossing of the tasks through the day was gratifying and then crossing the whole day off at the end was very rewarding, knowing I had just bust out a huge amount of work. Getting ever so visibly closer to the end. the more you do, you get more confident. Although i was ******* myself as always with exams lol.
Original post by strongcurrent
For the last few months I have had no motivation for anything due to personal reasons, because of this my grades have suffered. I am currently doing my AS levels.
I just wanted to know if anyone had the same problem or is going through it? If so, how did you tackle it and what did you do to ensure you didn't fail?

Sometimes I didn't feel very motivated.

Best thing to do is to give yourself your own mini deadlines.

For example, me writing an essay... what I'd do is think "right... you've got to do these next 1000 words by 7pm. Then you can go out on your bike".

I love cycling and knew if I got the words done, I could go out on my bike, relax, get fresh air, and get away from Uni work. It motivated me more too because if I achieved my own mini-deadlines, I knew I'd get the real thing done. Also, by giving myself a finishing time, I knew I wouldn't be stuck doing it all evening. I wasn't one of these who were like "let's write as much as possible before I fall asleep".

Best thing with being motivated too, is to do it in the morning. Don't waste your day procrastinating and putting it off... because the day will just be wasted and you'll end up being too tired to get on with it in the evening.
Original post by 2scotty
Sometimes I didn't feel very motivated.

Best thing to do is to give yourself your own mini deadlines.

For example, me writing an essay... what I'd do is think "right... you've got to do these next 1000 words by 7pm. Then you can go out on your bike".

I love cycling and knew if I got the words done, I could go out on my bike, relax, get fresh air, and get away from Uni work. It motivated me more too because if I achieved my own mini-deadlines, I knew I'd get the real thing done. Also, by giving myself a finishing time, I knew I wouldn't be stuck doing it all evening. I wasn't one of these who were like "let's write as much as possible before I fall asleep".

Best thing with being motivated too, is to do it in the morning. Don't waste your day procrastinating and putting it off... because the day will just be wasted and you'll end up being too tired to get on with it in the evening.

Thank you very much I appreciate that a lot!! That's a good insight!!! I'm gonna try that!!
Original post by dontknowwhatoput
I remember those grey times! One thing that became apparent to me was dropping out twice was not worth it at all, so stick with it :smile: Even when I finally managed to sit my as levels, I still fell behind in the year and did worse than expected. What sorted this out for me, was doing 2/3 re-sits the next summer during alevel exams. Just remember this is a great opportunity to fix any first-year mistakes!!

Motivation: in itself it is tricky. During as levels I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, so i struggled to see the bigger picture. But in my second year, I really turned everything around and turned some **** grades into some respectable ones :smile:

My anchor for success, so to say, is it to focus on what a levels will bring you and where they will take you. You get to move to London perhaps ( where is study), move in with a bunch of people who will become your best friends forever, no more parents (finally lol!), you get to party a lot as well! This made me smile and gave me hope, really! I can tell you I'm having sooooo much fun in my freshman year. Loads of opportunities to grow and develop yourself. Also, I was excited to start career options.

Other than this, make sure you do some exercise and stuff, you know. REMEMBER TO STILL ENJOY YOURSELF. It does end and its ******* worth it.

One note in terms of actually doing work. Making a revision schedules and itineraries up to the very exam, worked great for me as well. Crossing of the tasks through the day was gratifying and then crossing the whole day off at the end was very rewarding, knowing I had just bust out a huge amount of work. Getting ever so visibly closer to the end. the more you do, you get more confident. Although i was ******* myself as always with exams lol.

Thank you very much!! I think exercise will be good!! Thank you for this!!

Quick Reply

Latest