somarov
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm about to have my telephone interview on Thursday (6th). Did anyone attended one before? What's it like? Anyone else applying for Film course?
matt991610
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey! i'm going to apply next year for a deferred entry to the course. what would you suggest i do to help me get in?
somarov
Rep:
?
(Original post by matt991610)
hey! i'm going to apply next year for a deferred entry to the course. what would you suggest i do to help me get in?
I'd love to help, I can tell you what they aked in the interview, but they rejected me, so I might not have the secret of success.

They asked about the submitted film, what I learnt from the shooting, what would I do differently, what was the main goal with the film.
They asked about furure plans, and directors I admire or get ideas from, about favorite films.

And from a previous feedback they wrote, that you need to be confident with talking about reasons why you like or dislike a certain director or film.

And don't be too philosophical, I was and they hated it .

Good luck !!!
somarov
Rep:
?
and don't say Jim Jarmusch, Wes Anderson or Xavier Dolan as favorite directors, they said that these are too obvious choices.

(Original post by somarov)
I'd love to help, I can tell you what they aked in the interview, but they rejected me, so I might not have the secret of success.

They asked about the submitted film, what I learnt from the shooting, what would I do differently, what was the main goal with the film.
They asked about furure plans, and directors I admire or get ideas from, about favorite films.

And from a previous feedback they wrote, that you need to be confident with talking about reasons why you like or dislike a certain director or film.

And don't be too philosophical, I was and they hated it .

Good luck !!!
matt991610
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
and don't say Jim Jarmusch, Wes Anderson or Xavier Dolan as favorite directors, they said that these are too obvious choices.
I'm sorry to hear that they rejected you
tbh the only one there I know is wes Anderson! My favourite directors are Peter jackson, Ridley Scott, and taika waititi ( thor 3 and a couple of hillarious comedies). So mine are all mainstream which I guess is kinda bad😅 but I like Ridley Scott due to his very practical and visual style. I love peter Jackson's 'all In director/writer approach and I love taika because he was a relatively unknown guy until his last movies and obviously the upcoming thor 3! The only movie I have made so far is a group project for media studies AS level but I am going to write and direct my own film combining my two loves, philosophy and film although I am rethinking it now you said they don't like philosophical😅 I'm just a relatively inexperienced guy who has loved film and has been fascinated by it since a young age and I want to learn the art of filmmaking and hope to be a director/writer combo like James Gunn or Joss Whedon
somarov
Rep:
?
Yes, I'm quite like the one you just described.
I hope they'll like you more!!

I'm sorry to hear that they rejected you
tbh the only one there I know is wes Anderson! My favourite directors are Peter jackson, Ridley Scott, and taika waititi ( thor 3 and a couple of hillarious comedies). So mine are all mainstream which I guess is kinda bad😅 but I like Ridley Scott due to his very practical and visual style. I love peter Jackson's 'all In director/writer approach and I love taika because he was a relatively unknown guy until his last movies and obviously the upcoming thor 3! The only movie I have made so far is a group project for media studies AS level but I am going to write and direct my own film combining my two loves, philosophy and film although I am rethinking it now you said they don't like philosophical😅 I'm just a relatively inexperienced guy who has loved film and has been fascinated by it since a young age and I want to learn the art of filmmaking and hope to be a director/writer combo like James Gunn or Joss Whedon
matt991610
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, I'm quite like the one you just described.
I hope they'll like you more!!
thanks
jezzockboy16
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was lucky enough to get into film at Edinburgh Napier and I can say this: when they ask who influences you, don't name mainstream filmmakers (Spielberg, Kubrick). Try to write or talk about someone more appreciated in art house cinema or your country, e.g I talked about Bill Douglas and Alexander MacKendrick, two Scottish filmmakers. I'd also say try to make your folio as unique as possible, make your film stand out from the rest so they remember it. My folio film wasn't particularly good and I was actually displeased with most of it, but it was unique. I'd also suggest showing them scripts and storyboards or any research you've done. I brought 72 pages of screenplays, storyboards and photographs and paintings that had influenced my filmmaking. It's a very hard course to get into as they only have 30 places for over 500 applicants, but I think that if follow those steps you stand a good chance. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads