AQA A2 English Lit Lang - The Great Gatsby Recasting/Characters Watch

DRe90
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm currently revising The Great Gatsby for my A2 English Language & Literature course, and am looking at the part of the paper where I'll need to recast the source text into my own bit of recreative writing, and then talk about what I did, and why.

I'm looking to go into the exam fully-armed with knowledge of the characters and Fitzgerald's styles, and knowing that the recast is almost certainly going to be from the perspective of one of the characters, I thought a thread like this might be a good place to share ideas on how certain characters are/should be written and what features to include.

Hopefully this will be useful to a few people who are stuck like me on this bit of the paper.

For instance, Tom Buchanan interupts people a lot, so I'd include that in some dialogue if he was in my recast, and he uses a lot of authoratative, declarative phrases to imply power. Or for Daisy, when she's around Fitzgerald always likes to talk about light and how she 'glints' or 'glows', so I'd mimic that too and explain what that means about her character (innocence? etc.)
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
ems1998
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing The Great Gatsby too for my recast and agree it's good to have an idea of how each individual character speaks, acts and is presented. We have looked over minor characters in class in class too just in case AQA throw a curveball.
Shaziye
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ems1998)
I'm doing The Great Gatsby too for my recast and agree it's good to have an idea of how each individual character speaks, acts and is presented. We have looked over minor characters in class in class too just in case AQA throw a curveball.
do you have any revision notes on the great gatsby
ems1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Shaziye)
do you have any revision notes on the great gatsby
Yeah I do- I got them off GetRevising I think they have some good Gatsby bits and pieces!
Attached files
DRe90
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by ems1998)
Yeah I do- I got them off GetRevising I think they have some good Gatsby bits and pieces!
Awesome, thanks!

Was wondering which minor characters you've covered? We've done 'Owl Eyes' and Lucille (guest at the party) briefly, and the Wilsons too, but feel like I might be missing some still.
aliceknight
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this would be really helpful, I have just started my A2 Lit and Lang class and am struggling with this part of the paper
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads