Can I do a placement year AND exchange year?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ruby17x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm looking to apply to uni to start September 2018. I originally really wanted to go international and study in US (New York). But with no cosigner and really high fees it's not looking likely. The only lender I came across was the Global Student Loan Corporation but didn't really look legit.

So, I'm now looking at going to uni in UK and using my options I can to get abroad. Bonus is that it will be cheaper. Is it possible to do a placement year (third year) and a international exchange year in the second year? I was under the assumption it was, but after looking around on some uni website I don't know if this is really possible.
I'm studying the BTEC Extended Diploma targeted *** and maths A Level targeted B or C.

Anyone gone to uni and managed to get abroad?
Thanks in advance.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ruby17x)
I'm looking to apply to uni to start September 2018. I originally really wanted to go international and study in US (New York). But with no cosigner and really high fees it's not looking likely. The only lender I came across was the Global Student Loan Corporation but didn't really look legit.

So, I'm now looking at going to uni in UK and using my options I can to get abroad. Bonus is that it will be cheaper. Is it possible to do a placement year (third year) and a international exchange year in the second year? I was under the assumption it was, but after looking around on some uni website I don't know if this is really possible.
I'm studying the BTEC Extended Diploma targeted *** and maths A Level targeted B or C.

Thanks in advance.
Most unis will offer a placement year or a year abroad, however some allow you to do half a placement year and half a year abroad. Some universities even let you do a placement year while abroad! The best thing to do is to email the universities you're looking to go to so you can see what they can offer you
ruby17x
Rep:
?
Thanks so do you think it is not possible to do 2 out of the 4 years abroad?
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks so do you think it is not possible to do 2 out of the 4 years abroad?
It's very unlikely
ruby17x
Rep:
?
ah man really:/
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ah man really:/
There's nothing to stop you suspending your studies for a year and getting a job abroad. Or getting summer placements.
ruby17x
Rep:
?
I'm already a year behind. I want to get the opportunities to go global as soon as possible. I don't really want a gap year because it's unlikely I'll be able to get a job abroad with no contacts. How do you get summer placements? Do you often have uni responsibilities in the summer or is it similar to school where you come home?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm already a year behind. I want to get the opportunities to go global as soon as possible. I don't really want a gap year because it's unlikely I'll be able to get a job abroad with no contacts. How do you get summer placements? Do you often have uni responsibilities in the summer or is it similar to school where you come home?
I meant suspending your studies part way through your degree.
ruby17x
Rep:
?
oh really? that's pretty cool. Is that an easy thing to do?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
oh really? that's pretty cool. Is that an easy thing to do?
It depends on your university but it's very common.
UoSManagement
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks in advance.
It's unusual but it can be possible. At Sheffield University Management School we offer a BA International Business Management with study abroad - http://www.shef.ac.uk/management/stu...995.1474278140 - and you can choose to add a placement year once you've enrolled on the course. It's trickier to arrange the placement year, as you're abroad when the recruitment process for the placements is taking place. It's not impossible though - have a read through this blog post by our Student Ambassador Elise about her experience - http://mgt.dept.shef.ac.uk/undergraduate/?p=581

Each university and course will be different so make sure you ask the question in advance of applying so you know what your options are. Remember there's always options to work part time when you're studying abroad or even to do an international placement, and summer internships are also a great opportunity to gain work experience without adding another year to your degree.

Good luck!
sweetstars
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks in advance.
Hi, did you end up being able to study abroad and do a placement year?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.86%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.45%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.39%

Watched Threads