Teshhh109
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone! My A levels are starting in exactly a month. It would be great if you could give me some tips on how I could get at least a B in economics for my uni offer as I seem to find it difficult to understand what the question is actually asking me to do and how to structure it without complicating it too much in OCR economics.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
Shoot
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not doing the OCR (doing the AQA) but I assume the exam techniques I'm using you should be able to use them.

Firstly, LEARN ALL THE CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES of all the topics in economics specification. A good way you can do this is by making revision cards, 1 side have the question - "what are the consequences of deflation" - and the other side the answer - "depends on what sort of deflation it's..." - after doing this you should have a good idea on the topics. You can watch videos on YouTube for economics, I found them very helpful. Then main aim here to cover and make sure you understand everything on the syllabus.

Once you're confident that you understand everything, go and look at the past papers / specimen paper and pay attention specifically to the examiner's report and the mark scheme to see what get marks and how many points you need to discuss. For AQA, we have it separated into two halves, one half is the data response and the other is where we can pick 2 questions (1x 15 marker and 1x 25 marker question) and answer them. What you need to ensure if you want to get your B is too make sure YOU DON'T LOSE any easy marks. I know it's logical when you say it but seriously, whilst you're practicing and doing the paper and you answer those questions with lesser marks you should feel confident that you got full marks for them.

Again I'm not sure if my exam plan would be suitable with what you need to do, but for 25 marker, I write

Q: Discuss the extent to which reducing the interest rates will help address the problem of high inflation rate.
Introduction - define words from the stem questions and discuss them briefly.
First point - why interest rates reduces inflation rate - draw a graph
Weakness of first point - downside of high interest rates and if it was to be effective in reducing high inflation what are the "assumption" - such as it would depend of what type of inflation it is - cost-push or demand-pull
Second point - discuss alternatives to dealing with high inflation - such as high exchange rate or increasing income tax
Weakness of the second point - downsides of the alternative, for example - "this policy too is dependent on the type of inflation it is".
Third point - as we've provided 2 points for demand-pull inflation, provide an example of a policy that helps deal with cost-push inflation i.e. supply side policies -> deal with cost-push inflation
Weakness of third point -> cannot deal with demand-pull inflation and that it has time lag.

Conclusion - this is the most crucial bit, idk about OCR but for AQA this is everything, you need to sum up your whole argument here, but first ANSWER THE QUESTION. Discuss what option is most suitable for what type of inflation, and if it's LR vs SR. Also, make sure you include your judgement on what the best decision is. Consider the effect on the macro-objectives if you need to back up your answer.
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Teshhh109)
Hi everyone! My A levels are starting in exactly a month. It would be great if you could give me some tips on how I could get at least a B in economics for my uni offer as I seem to find it difficult to understand what the question is actually asking me to do and how to structure it without complicating it too much in OCR economics.
The best way of maximising your chance to get the higher grades is to ensure you understand the material (that is, you don't need to remember the finer details of a topic from a last minute glance of a textbook or revision guide). Exams with an essay component are usually structured to allow you to show this with aspects like evaluation and critical thinking. Hence, there's two key bits to getting a good grade: Revision and Exam Technique.

With revision, if you haven't already, find the technique which works best for you. Revision is there so that you practice what you learn (keeping it fresh) and to help you condense and understand the information you receive in class. If you learn best with neat summary notes, post-its, videos, mind-maps etc. apply that to the topic and you're more likely to know and grasp the material.

With exam technique, I didn't do OCR for A-Level but in pretty much any long essay, the structure Shoot supplied is very good. The question you're given WILL be related to a topic in the specification so if you have covered your revision well, it's a matter of applying what you should already understand to an example. This can be done by using a standard point, example, explanation paragraph to outline a relevant point comprehensively, then an evaluative follow-up which shows more in-depth consideration (weaknesses, 'it can depend on', etc.).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads