The Student Room Group

Really need advice on A2 Chemistry exam in 2 months!

Hi,

So, I'm an A2 student and have an offer for university which means the minimum grade I can get in Chemistry is a B.
In my AS year I consistently got B/C grades. However A2 has been awful and I'm stuck on a E/U. My school didn't submit us onto AS levels and all exams were done internally due to the reforms.

Please can I get advice on whether it's possible to pull up my Alevel in such a short amount of time (with only 2 months left) and also any advice because I feel so lost with how i'm supposed to improve this, as well as not fall behind with my other subjects.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 1
bump
Original post by qwertyuiop786
bump

You tried past papers?
Reply 3
Original post by Raizelcadres
You tried past papers?

Yes but perhaps I'm not using them effectively. Ironically I at least get a grade in them but as soon as we have an assessment at school I seriously flop. I'm losing all hope.
Yes but perhaps I'm not using them effectively. Ironically I at least get a grade in them but as soon as we have an assessment at school I seriously flop. I'm losing all hope.

Take things step by step
Start with something you find difficult and leave the easy ones to towards the end.
Do exam questions by topic.
Use youtube if you are confused (tywin lannister and E rintoul are good)
Do past papers and when you do them just write down the topics you struggled with, then revise those topics.
For organic chem use a mind map (i found it useful and easier to remember) with bright colours.
If you ever stress out, stop revision and have a break. Be chilled and keep telling yourself you will improve and when you do you will be motivated,

You can also find some good revision materials on websites like chemguide
Reply 6
Hi,

So, I'm an A2 student and have an offer for university which means the minimum grade I can get in Chemistry is a B.
In my AS year I consistently got B/C grades. However A2 has been awful and I'm stuck on a E/U. My school didn't submit us onto AS levels and all exams were done internally due to the reforms.

Please can I get advice on whether it's possible to pull up my Alevel in such a short amount of time (with only 2 months left) and also any advice because I feel so lost with how i'm supposed to improve this, as well as not fall behind with my other subjects.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

1) Make notes from chemrevise.org (hopefully your spec is there)

2) do practice questions from a-levelchemistry.co.uk or if your spec isn't there do them from your textbook. Use your notes to help at the start but you should be able to answer practice questions without them eventually.

3) do past papers (without notes), mark harshly and highlight mistakes - don't make them twice. Then do the papers again, learn the markschemes and make sure you understand the content

Can be done over a few weeks, there is still time
Reply 7
Original post by TajwarC
1) Make notes from chemrevise.org (hopefully your spec is there)

2) do practice questions from a-levelchemistry.co.uk or if your spec isn't there do them from your textbook. Use your notes to help at the start but you should be able to answer practice questions without them eventually.

3) do past papers (without notes), mark harshly and highlight mistakes - don't make them twice. Then do the papers again, learn the markschemes and make sure you understand the content

Can be done over a few weeks, there is still time

Original post by Raizelcadres
You can also find some good revision materials on websites like chemguide

Thank you so much!
I know how you feel I'm in the exactly same position, was also getting B/C's last year and now currently on U/E's too your not alone. What exam board are you with?? Also I've tried doing little flash cards with question and answer on the back to get used to just recognising how a question should be answered as soon as you see it. Hope it works🤞🏾
Reply 9
Original post by estelle247
I know how you feel I'm in the exactly same position, was also getting B/C's last year and now currently on U/E's too your not alone. What exam board are you with?? Also I've tried doing little flash cards with question and answer on the back to get used to just recognising how a question should be answered as soon as you see it. Hope it works🤞🏾

I'm with AQA
Thank you for the reply, I desperately want to meet my offer but worrying is making it harder to revise too :frown:
I started flash cards today! How are they working out for you?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm with AQA
Thank you for the reply, I desperately want to meet my offer but worrying is making it harder to revise too :frown:
I stared flash cards today! How are they working out for you?

I'm with OCR, im worrying about it too, it's literally like we're in the exactly same position😂. They're going okay I've done some for the littler simple things you have to remember, like definitions, chemical tests, and some organic synthesis reagents and just going over and over them. I think I'm starting to get it fixed into my brain but it's just gonna have to be continuous. How about you? We can do this!!

Quick Reply

Latest