Transfering from MSc to PG Diploma Watch

RandomUser789
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently thinking of switching from my MSc to a PG Diploma, Would this likely have any impact when it comes to jobs? Family at home think the world will end and that all this time is wasted since they have never heard of a PG Dip and assume no one else has either.

Honestly I really don't like the idea of another research dissertation I would rather finish learning the core principles (taught elements) then apply it to a working environment then spend another 5 months doing a research project. I have no plans to return to academia after this either.

I currently have a pretty strong CV, I work part time university in a similar role to what I would be looking for as a full time job, as well as a placement year at a large pharma company. My undergraduate degree is a 1st and I also have a lot of applicable experience from a society I am a member of.

I am also thinking of looking outside of the UK in the future as well, are PG Dips respected much in other countries? I assume since it covers all the content a masters does.

TL;DR would I be screwed transferring from a MSc to a PG Dip
agrew
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not intended to sound harsh, but I think you just need to man up and finish your MSc. For your dissertation you don't need to develop a new field breaking theory if that's what you're afraid of, something simple and original will give you a pass mark. Happy end with MSc in your CV.

If you are planning to work abroad, it is quite clear to me that MSc is more recognisable than PG Dip, especially in Europe.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RandomUser789)
I am currently thinking of switching from my MSc to a PG Diploma, Would this likely have any impact when it comes to jobs? Family at home think the world will end and that all this time is wasted since they have never heard of a PG Dip and assume no one else has either.

Honestly I really don't like the idea of another research dissertation I would rather finish learning the core principles (taught elements) then apply it to a working environment then spend another 5 months doing a research project. I have no plans to return to academia after this either.

I currently have a pretty strong CV, I work part time university in a similar role to what I would be looking for as a full time job, as well as a placement year at a large pharma company. My undergraduate degree is a 1st and I also have a lot of applicable experience from a society I am a member of.

I am also thinking of looking outside of the UK in the future as well, are PG Dips respected much in other countries? I assume since it covers all the content a masters does.

TL;DR would I be screwed transferring from a MSc to a PG Dip
Unfortunately your family are probably right. Few employers in the UK will know what a PGDip is, so I suspect the overseas employment market will be even less aware.

For the sake of a few months of slog, you'll have a full Masters. If it's any consolation, pretty much everyone feels like this about their diss, after two terms of the most intensive uni teaching you're likely to get (my PhD was relaxed by comparison!). It's hust a feeling you have to power through.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (107)
17.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (65)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.66%

Watched Threads