Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering,

I've got an offer from Lancaster of BBB which I accepted as my firm choice. If I get much higher grades tomorrow, say AAA, is it worth phoning other uni's (Bath, Warwick, Manchester) and ask if they would accept me as some sort of clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobytoby)
    Just wondering,

I've got an offer from Lancaster of BBB which I accepted as my firm choice. If I get much higher grades tomorrow, say AAA, is it worth phoning other uni's (Bath, Warwick, Manchester) and ask if they would accept me as some sort of clearing?
    If you get AAA, you are obliged under a contract to go to Lancaster, unless you have a really good reason for not wanting to go there. You can phone up other universities and get unofficial offers over the phone but it is pointless if you don't get a CEF form because you have met your firm offer.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering,

If you meet the offer for Lancaster or exceed it you would have to work hard at convincing Lancaster to release you to clearing, and they probably wouldn't unless you had a really good reason. The only alternative is turning down your offer and then reapplying next year to a different institution.

ReputationRep:
    This is why centralizing applications is a bad idea. Let the students apply to whichever uni they choose, and accept or decline invitations as they choose.

What's wrong with being able to wait to see who gives you a place and plan accordingly? Is it just because that would mean the unis would be inconvenienced by having to wait for acceptances?

Well, my heart bleeds for them. Just wait 'til British universities implement fees and turn students into customers. Then we'll see how willing students/customers are to put up with such a commitment.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering,

It might be worth deciding to take a year out then reapplying as those grades would pretty much guarentee an unconditional from any university but you would find it tough canceling the contract with lancaster and then getting into any places they might have at the others you mention.

ReputationRep:
    why are unis so reluctant to release people? if we want to go elsewhere and we can it's not very fair that they can hold us, almost prisoner. We have to compete against other students freely for their offers, it wouldn't kill them to compete for us.

ReputationRep:
    this is true. my offer is CCD (APU) and im forecast AAAAA so i keep wanting to upgrade especially as im doing law, but to do this you cant use clearing, you hav to turn down choice 1 then reapply next year. this means you mess up your finances big time. go to lancaster and stop being a snob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    They're generally reluctant to loose a student that they would like to teach. It's not a negative thing - it's more that they really want their students to come to them.

However at the same time they're not vindictive. If you honestly want to go elsewhere they know better than to try to hold you to it (at least in most cases).
    I can see why they do it. But it's not a good start to the relationship with their students when they deny them the opportunity to take up a rare offer from a better university.

That's good to hear. It's not something I plan to do anyway, but for other people I'd hope they wouldn't ruin somebody's opportunities for their own selfish reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    this is true. my offer is CCD (APU) and im forecast AAAAA so i keep wanting to upgrade especially as im doing law, but to do this you cant use clearing, you hav to turn down choice 1 then reapply next year. this means you mess up your finances big time. go to lancaster and stop being a snob.
    But why apply to, and accept an offer from, a university with such a low offer if you have such high predicted grades? You must have had some idea that you'd do that much better - that's lack of planning on your part as well as any supposed "meanness" on the part of UCAS or the university.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I wish I was having this trouble - instead I'm currently hoping with all my heart that I make my firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Lancaster. I'm off there and from what I gather the students there on the whole really do enjoy it and there's a very low dropout rate there too. Also as reported in The Sun it has the cheapest beer on average in the country. Alas I don't really like beer - still got far too much of a sweet tooth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    why are unis so reluctant to release people? if we want to go elsewhere and we can it's not very fair that they can hold us, almost prisoner. We have to compete against other students freely for their offers, it wouldn't kill them to compete for us.
    They don't hold you prisoner! Its not like they can go up behind you with a cosh, drop a sixpence in your beer, and press-gang you into their institution

If anyone could just walk away from their firm/insurance offers into clearing, then the universities would suffer financially, as they could not make accurate predictions over numbers, so would have problems in deciding on near-misses and whether they need to advertise in clearing or not.

If there are good reasons for being released then there should be no problems. If not then a gap year won't kill you. Being able to earn for a year prior to university helps greatly with your finances

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get 3 A's after all.
    I got three B's, all 373, missing A by & marks each.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering,

first of all u can ask them to release u from ur offer and they wud have to cus they cant force u to goto uni! and second calling up better unis to get into, well there places most than likely to be taken already it happened with me last year as i was predicted ccc for alevelsand to do law at cov uni!!!!! wtf! but came out with AAA , i had a heart attack took a gap year and re applyed now im goign to warwick in sept!

hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahh ahahahahahahahaahahhaahhahaahaha hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahha hahahahaahhaahhahahahahahahahaha hahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hha

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is a good university, just shut up and go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Lancaster is a good university, just shut up and go.
    nicely put

ReputationRep:
    everyone!!!! listen up!!! if you are thinking of upgrading the uni, provided you havent turned them down (eg your insurance needs higher grades than your firm) then you must check ucas track, they prob will have changed the offer from conditional to unconditional, so you can then go there!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.