The Student Room Group

Who'd you support if May started a war with Spain over Gibraltar?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ambitious1999
Nonetheless if there was a war between Britain and Spain, I think we would loose the war. Millions of Brits would oppose the war as would all British catholics, many of our service personnel would desert.

When Spain gets the upper hand this time it won't be just an Armada of Spanish Navy ships heading up the English Channel, if will be nuclear submarines, F16s, B52 bombers, B2 stealth bombers, Apaches, barrel bombs the lot, and we won't have the Dutch on our side this time seen as May has upset just about every country in Europe.

And that would seriously ruin a morning watching 'Bargain Hunt ' when the news flash comes on.

You really are a terrible troll

How are Isis getting on with the fighter jets?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hold a referendum in Gibraltar and let them decide what country they want to belong to.
Reply 42
We would only go to war to protect the will of the people in Gibraltar so I would not only support Britain I would sign up to defend Gibraltar
Original post by Wōden
What's wrong with being nationalist?

Haven't you heard? Everything right of Left makes you a Nazi.
Rule Britannia!
Nonetheless if there was a war between Britain and Spain, I think we would loose the war. Millions of Brits would oppose the war as would all British catholics, many of our service personnel would desert.

When Spain gets the upper hand this time it won't be just an Armada of Spanish Navy ships heading up the English Channel, if will be nuclear submarines, F16s, B52 bombers, B2 stealth bombers, Apaches, barrel bombs the lot, and we won't have the Dutch on our side this time seen as May has upset just about every country in Europe.

And that would seriously ruin a morning watching 'Bargain Hunt ' when the news flash comes on.

Delete your account. You're making me stupid.
Original post by Jammy Duel
*If Spain started a war

This is correct.

Given the status quo is currently Gibraltar under British sovereignty, there's 0 chance of May blinking first and starting a war. Any action would come from Spain first (Which it won't either).
While I think it's good that Gibraltar remains part of the UK if there was ever a war between Britain and Spain I'd suppout Spain because I don't like the way this country is going towards Trumpism and right wing nationalism.

In such a conflict, rebels in England and Wales could support the Spanish in the hope that Spain wins the war and removes May and the tories from power ending this dark period in Britains history. I'm also quite confident that Scotland would be on our side and back the Spanish.

Secondly I have nothing at all against Spain, Spanish people or any other EU nation that it's seems Terresa Trump (May) is determined to make trouble with.

How a post Terresa Trump Britain would be adminsietd is questionable, but anything s got to better than what we have now.

Spanish Armarda....:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My armchair and my bag of popcorn.
If May started a war? Absolutely not. If Spain tried to retake Gibraltar by force and we responded to that? Absolutely yes.

I would be extremely surprised if Spain decided to make any kind of military moves, though.
I can tell you right now that if theoretically there was conflict (there won't, this entire farce has been blown well out of proportion) then those lives who'd perish would be wasted; utterly and completely wasted.

And some of you saying you're a "traitor" for holding opinions "x", "y" & "z" need to get your head out from the 20th century. There's no honour, pride or nationalism that comes from being told to kill some people you've never met, just wasted bullets, blood and all while the top dogs are sipping tea and having a reet good knees-up in the war-room.

Still, if you want to go and get your head blown off by Sergio from Valencia, go ahead, no one's stopping you.
(edited 7 years ago)
The question is patently ridiculous. There isn't going to be a war with Spain.

What no-one has mentioned, however, is that there is absolutely no legitimate dispute over the territory in international law. Gibraltar was ceded to Britain in perpetuity in the Treaty of Utrecht.

Rather different to Spain's territories of Ceuta and Melila which she refuses to hand over to Morocco, even in the absence of any treaty with that North African power ceding ownership.

Madrid's hypocrisy over Gibraltar is nauseating.
Reply 52
Is this a joke thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But why should we support a war against Spain? The Spanish are good people, and I will not support any war against them, there are millions of Brits that like Spain and the Spanish people and have interests, relationships in Spain who will not support any kind of attack on Spain, neither can I see any British catholic supporting a war against Spain. This would be a step too far and is more likely to result in a civil and even sectarian war here in Britain.

What, like in 1982 when precisely zero British catholics attempted to start a civil and sectarian conflict over the Falklands War against catholic Argentina? I'm not sure what sort of fantasy land your head is in.
Original post by Texel
Is this a joke thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP is a joke. All their threads give new meaning to the word moronic, yet people still engage with it.
Original post by NoPunInThisName

And some of you saying you're a "traitor" for holding opinions "x", "y" & "z" need to get your head out from the 20th century. There's no honour, pride or nationalism that comes from being told to kill some people you've never met, just wasted bullets, blood and all while the top dogs are sipping tea and having a reet good knees-up in the war-room.

There is honour, pride and nationalism in defending your country and fellow citizens from a hostile attack. There's nothing backwards about that. Your attitude is just new-age hipster pacifism.
Original post by pol pot noodles
There is honour, pride and nationalism in defending your country and fellow citizens from a hostile attack. There's nothing backwards about that. Your attitude is just new-age hipster pacifism.

Do you really think we'd do the Falklands all over again? People are sick of war, we're told war is "honourable" but folks don't buy it any more, how many people would sacrifice their lives over a slice of land no bigger than the Wirral? It's hardly like Nazi Germany is knocking on our door.

Not to mention this entire discussion is purely theoretical and would never happen.

You sound like the kind of condescending muppet who'd say "he'll be more conservative as he grows up".

:cookie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm. What if this wasn't a mistake at all, but instead, practise?!
Original post by Drewski
Hmm. What if this wasn't a mistake at all, but instead, practise?!

Maybe the US is on our side, knows more than we care to admit and have been playing the long game, with this incident??
Original post by NoPunInThisName
Do you really think we'd do the Falklands all over again? People are sick of war, we're told war is "honourable" but folks don't buy it any more, how many people would sacrifice their lives over a slice of land no bigger than the Wirral? It's hardly like Nazi Germany is knocking on our door.

Not to mention this entire discussion is purely theoretical and would never happen.

You sound like the kind of condescending muppet who'd say "he'll be more conservative as he grows up".

:cookie:

No one said war is always honourable. Defending your own territory and people is. Absolutely if Spain or anyone attacked British territory we'd do the Falklands all over ago. You might have little principle and be willing to cave in under threat and sell out Gibraltar because 'meh it's only small', but I know the majority of Brits aren't.

You sound like the kind of naive left-wing muppet who thinks their own minority views are widespread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending