Living in Lucy Cavendish College accomodation as a couple

Watch
eescalante
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

I just got an offer from Lucy Cavendish College. I am going to Cambridge with my partner who will not be studying at uni. My biggest concern is that he is going to feel out of place. Any couples out there who could give me some information about their experience with this college?
Gruffalo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by eescalante)
Hi there,

I just got an offer from Lucy Cavendish College. I am going to Cambridge with my partner who will not be studying at uni. My biggest concern is that he is going to feel out of place. Any couples out there who could give me some information about their experience with this college?
Hello! I'm also starting at Lucy Cavendish this year, my partner and I are relocating from Australia and have applied for accommodation at the Histon Road complex. We've had similar concerns as he won't be studying either, although this gives me hope that there will be a troupe of long-suffering husbands and partners he can befriend! From what I understand there are at least 350 wonderful, intelligent women of all ages at Lucy Cavendish and I can't believe that none of them have partners. There seems to be an odd stigma of 'convent-ish-ness' attached to the female colleges but I suspect that we'll all feel much more at home with other adults, regardless of their gender, than with a swarm of school leavers who don't know how to do their own laundry! If there are any past or present Lucians out there in the great desolate waste that is TSR it would be great to hear from you to quiet our fears!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gruffalo)
The 'convent-ish-ness' comes from either people who have never even been to Cambridge or were there in the 1950's. Its a well known fact from anyone who has lived there recently that the termly early-morning fire alarm tests produce a very diverse population out of the female colleges.

The role/position of partners in College life is difficult to generalise because it is a very minority situation (in terms of people arriving in long-term, committed partnerships of some sort). For those that do, very many live out of College and take little or no part in College life. For those that live in College - well already you are probably talking about 0-5 couples per College, many Colleges have no couples accommodation. But those that do, some partners may be working full time in say London, so rarely available to integrate into any real sort of regular College life. However, for those that remain, partners who live in College and want College to be something more than an occasional visit as a guest, then Colleges are very open, welcoming places and it is perfectly possible to carve out a place for yourself in a social circle.

I think people over-estimate the pre-existence or permanence of the social side of Cambridge. While the structure and processes of the University and Colleges has a history, the students don't. They evolve and change very rapidly, because over a third of them change every year. Newly arriving students have a tremendous influence over the social dynamic of the College and can change and create structures and habits to suit themselves.

You'll all be fine, the social problem with Cambridge is much more often overload rather than isolation, there is just so much on offer.
Caliline
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi girls,
I am coming to Lucy Cavendish next year and
I am considering living with my partner. He is studying at evening UNI in London (I will have been living in London with him for a year because of his studies) Thus, I would like to find out how your perception has changed during last 12 months? Is it worth it for him to travel?
Do you recommend any specific accomodation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (40)
14.23%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (92)
32.74%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (35)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (23)
8.19%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
6.05%
I think it's an unfair expectation (71)
25.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.07%

Watched Threads