The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Why is Leeds Beckett University so low ranked?

I'm considering going to Leeds beckett this year but it's very low ranked which is putting me off attending I'm afraid I will be wasting my time.
I think they are trying to be a much bigger uni than is realistic for them. They are really good at some subjects which would rank them highly, however there are also a tonne of subjects they teach poorly, therefore having an overall negative effect on the typical rankings.
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by RussMack
I think they are trying to be a much bigger uni than is realistic for them. They are really good at some subjects which would rank them highly, however there are also a tonne of subjects they teach poorly, therefore having an overall negative effect on the typical rankings.

what pissed me off most is i got really good grades ABB in a levels, and in my course there more than half had less then ddd or lower grades.

Which resulted in high drop rate...
Original post by Rooder
what pissed me off most is i got really good grades ABB in a levels, and in my course there more than half had less then ddd or lower grades.

Which resulted in high drop rate...

I study PE, we have the same problem... I finished college with D*D*D* and have a tutor group with some people that barely scraped through college never mind A levels... Most of the numb nuts like that have already dropped out or re-sat first year (I've just finished second).
Reply 4
Original post by RussMack
I study PE, we have the same problem... I finished college with D*D*D* and have a tutor group with some people that barely scraped through college never mind A levels... Most of the numb nuts like that have already dropped out or re-sat first year (I've just finished second).

In BA architecture we started 120 finished ( graduated) 19 people, there need to be more selection of people, some don't have interest in course,
biggest drop is form 1 to 2 year
Reply 5
I am doing my MSC part-time here and to be honest it is the best experience i have had. I tried before to study at MSC level at a well known university and the treatment i received was terrible. The support was just not there and the tutors did not want to teach, they just wanted to get back to their research.

Do not place too much emphasis on league tables they are specifically suited to always rank "red-brick" universities higher as they weight so much of the score on the quantity of research output.

LBU is NOT focused on research output hence its position in the league tables. The focus is on the student like many other ex-polytechnic universities. These universities generally focus you getting skills for a job not skills as a researcher.

I have also found the campus buildings to be in an excellent condition and no shortage of computers, they are investing in their infrastructure at both City and Headingly campuses. This all adds up the student experience.
Reply 6
Original post by trev150
I am doing my MSC part-time here and to be honest it is the best experience i have had. I tried before to study at MSC level at a well known university and the treatment i received was terrible. The support was just not there and the tutors did not want to teach, they just wanted to get back to their research.

Do not place too much emphasis on league tables they are specifically suited to always rank "red-brick" universities higher as they weight so much of the score on the quantity of research output.

LBU is NOT focused on research output hence its position in the league tables. The focus is on the student like many other ex-polytechnic universities. These universities generally focus you getting skills for a job not skills as a researcher.

I have also found the campus buildings to be in an excellent condition and no shortage of computers, they are investing in their infrastructure at both City and Headingly campuses. This all adds up the student experience.

I agree that Leeds Beckett Got some really good Facilities, they are one of the best.
There is some staff especially in architecture which isn't good and helpful, Building services staff is really good can't complain about that. Architecture Technology is good, Interior design amazing, but in architecture in nearly all my tutors changed completely, and just disorganised course.

It usually depends on course how high or low are they ranked, and i have friends who are still in this uni and they are somewhat satisfied. I still think it maters how good the university is ranked, because you carry their name in way.
Reply 7
I just finished my BA here and, well it's alright.

I was on the city campus and the buildings are generally quite new, but personally I didn't like it. But that's more down to personality than anything. I didn't really like being at the university that was very looked down upon by its Russel Group equivalent just up the road, there is a very firm rivalry between Beckett and Uni of. And this is very strong, generally you'll find a great amount of the Beckett students are reasonably local, whilst those at Uni of come from quite far afield. If you think this will bother you, it's an issue. But if not then you won't have a problem and can embrace the Beckett. It's a good uni if you really like nightlife and want to go uni to have fun, but if that's not your thing then don't bother.

I did one of the courses that the uni does excel at and the good lecturers etc were excellent, but the bad ones were terrible. There was a very wide gulf between them. And some, had incredible depth of knowledge, but equally they were **** at teaching and basic communication skills.
I did a BA in International Relations and Development there (2012-2015) and then did a MA at Durham. So I feel that I can give a bit of insight into the differences between the high end and low end of the ranks. In short - you are not wasting your time. I got a respectable grade from Durham. This suggests I learned well at Leeds Beckett (I'm old enough to call it the Met). Teachers were fab, facilities were good, people were diverse and interesting. Contrary to what some others have said I found that many of my course at the Met were very passionate about the subject area, just for whatever reason not so good at A levels.Yes people will look down on you. I found that very embittering. However get a good grade, maybe a master's and then that will start to go away. I'm on a grad scheme at a defence company. Leeds Beckett did me no harm. Durham has lots of clubs, societies and old buildings. The work is more intense but you learn less as you are just whizzing through subjects. It is more posh and pretentious. I liked it as much as the Met but for other reasons. I would happily go back to both. The problem is that most people have no idea what they're talking about because they have only been to one or two unis.I can't talk about the University of the Creative Arts because I went to the Met. The two are likely different in many ways. All I know is that I have fond memories and a first class honours degree. That, for me, says something about the Met.
Reply 9
I was going to apply for BA Architecture at Leeds Beckett, however attending the open day completely put me off. The day was really unorganised, there was no indication where my talk was and I had to find it using my email and even find the room completely by myself. Once we got there, no one really knew where we were supposed to sit and people were just wondering about. During the talk, the guy was going on and telling everyone consistently that the entry requirement was 340 UCAS Points, even after people questioning it. (What?) Then he even said "Don't worry if you decide you don't like the course as you can always change." No surprises with the high drop out rate after the first year. Everyone there seemed very put off.
Original post by Lauramile
I'm considering going to Leeds beckett this year but it's very low ranked which is putting me off attending I'm afraid I will be wasting my time.

look at the criteria that makes up the league tables. presumably the entrance requirements are low etc.
I was wondering if I were to apply for masters at LBU, is it hard to get in?
Original post by Visyaraj
I was wondering if I were to apply for masters at LBU, is it hard to get in?

from what I've understood about applying to masters programs in the UK as an international student, seems like the emphasis is on the entry requirements.

as long as you meet it, i think you'll be fine. if you don't have the grades, i think you'd be fine if you have a well written supporting statement.

that being said, i went to a school in the states for undergrad that is ranked higher than most of the russell group universities. didn't do very well and didn't have the entry requirements grades for edinburgh, but managed to get an unconditional there (i'll most likely be attending beckett instead though this fall). be sure to show why you want to do a masters if you dont have the entry requirement grades for beckett.
RussMack is correct and that is my understanding too. Leeds Beckett is good at some subjects like health and I also agree with with Russ that Leeds Beckett is trying to be a much bigger university than what is realistic. My understanding, at one time, they wanted to be a grand university that stretched from Cloth Hall to their Headingly campus. Furthermore, my own impression I feel Leeds Beckett is to 'liberal,' with its admission policy and will admit almost anyone. As a result of its 'liberal' admission policies, I believe this drives down their rankings because they admit too many students who are not ready for university work and ultimately hurts Leeds Beckett's reputation. In my opinion, for some subjects, Leeds Beckett is an acceptable 'back-up' if you cannot get into somewhere else but if a higher ranking school will admit you then consider the alternative to Leeds Beckett
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TunaMaster25
RussMack is correct and that is my understanding too. Leeds Beckett is good at some subjects like health and I also agree with with Russ that Leeds Beckett is trying to be a much bigger university than what is realistic. My understanding, at one time, they wanted to be a grand university that stretched from Cloth Hall to their Headingly campus. Furthermore, my own impression I feel Leeds Beckett is to 'liberal,' with its admission policy and will admit almost anyone. As a result of its 'liberal' admission policies, I believe this drives down their rankings because they admit too many students who are not ready for university work and ultimately hurts Leeds Beckett's reputation. In my opinion, for some subjects, Leeds Beckett is an acceptable 'back-up' if you cannot get into somewhere else but if a higher ranking school will admit you then consider the alternative to Leeds Beckett

What subject did you study at Leeds Beckett please and do you know whats it like for Law or if a student is quieter and isn’t mainstream, into partying, drinking and going out half dressed how might they fair?

My student was thinking about perhaps insuring Leeds Beckett as they have made a vastly reduced offer (88 UCAS points instead of 106). But we noticed they have dropped considerably in the league table ratings).

We were very impressed with the Law Dept at the applicant offer Open Day. The Uni buildings felt a bit disjointed (but believe they are building a new Law building) and we were unsure about the area and how safe the City Campus area is with lots of bars, scantily clad people and masked Delivery men in dark hoodies on bikes whizzing around. As its much busier than where we live but thats maybe normal for a big city.

The Privately owned Halls they showed us around looked nice and modern but the building was a massive tower block in a flat of 5 and wondered how easy it is to get to know others in the building if you are unlucky and happen not to gel with your flat mates. I think I would have maybe preferred smaller College Uni owned set up where there are likely to be more organised events to meet people and wasn’t sure whether their was anything like that?

Thanks
hi i have applied to leeds becket and i need bcc and i’m getting like d’s atm . will i have to go through clearing if i don’t get on it or how likely are they to take me on straight away. i’ve met the peaople in my flat aswell so if i don’t meet the grades i lose the accommodation and the deposit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending